SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-12-02 23:45:34

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: What Music Manager Do You Guys Use?

Dude opens a thread on what music manager people use. A couple of wiseguys come and start evangelizing on how they're their own music managers. Thread goes to shit.

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2012-12-02 23:50:30

hashbanger
#! CrunchBanger

So? This is "general chat", right?

FreeBSD | OpenBSD | Windows. Randomly lurking.
Decentralized #! eD2k/Kad mirror.

#53 2012-12-03 00:02:24

junkie
#! Junkie

Once, I went all nuclear and deleted the tags from my entire music collection; damn that sucked. Really miss basic music management outside my dumb folder hierarchy. Have been tirelessly adding my tags back to my music collection since. Will be getting into MPD / ncmpcpp soon.

#54 2012-12-05 14:20:12

Morley
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I had one or two more questions if ya don't mind.  Puddletag doesn't have support for editing tags on .wma files any longer, and their website says this is because of the risk of "breaking" the files.  I have been trying Entagged because of this, and while it is alright, I don't like it nearly as much as Puddletag.  Question: do tags on .wma files work differently than tags on .mp3 files, and do I run the risk of damaging anything by using Entagged to edit .wma tags?  It doesn't make sense that this is the case, but you never know.  Would it be worth it to convert the .wmas to .mp3s for tagging purposes?  If so, can anyone recommend a method for converting other than Sound Converter?  That program just ... doesn't do anything when I try and use it.  Never has.  A CLI tool that would let me search for all .wma files and convert them to .mp3 would be awesome.  Thanks!

Last edited by Morley (2012-12-05 14:21:14)

I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation!

#55 2012-12-05 14:35:28

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Morley wrote:

Would it be worth it to convert the .wmas to .mp3s for tagging purposes?

IMO yes, that is what I do.

I think you need lame to be able to convert into MP3 if that is what does not work, other formats work fine. You can even use it from the CLI. But true, it is not the best program.
I use Deadbeef, a music player, it has a good converting tool too.

CLI apps/tools exist for sure but I will let others recommend them as I do not use any of them.

#56 2012-12-05 20:33:11

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

ivanovnegro wrote:

CLI apps/tools exist for sure but I will let others recommend them as I do not use any of them.

I use Perl Audio Converter (pacpl)...
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=pacpl

Usage example, say I have a folder named "The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta" and it's all in .wma format. Change to that directory...

cd Music/'The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta'

... and run pacpl with the following switches, in this case converting to a bitrate of 192...

pacpl -t mp3 --delete --bitrate 192 *.wma

That will convert all .wma files in that folder, deleting the .wma files after converting them, remove "--delete" if you want to keep the originals. You can do the same with flac, wav, etc... by changing *.wma to *.flac, etc... Use any available bitrate equal to or lower than the original (--bitrate 320, --bitrate 128, etc...).

To change the bitrate of MP3s use the following, in this case reducing to 192 from, say, 320...

pacpl -t mp3 --overwrite --bitrate 192 *.mp3

Again, remove "--overwrite" if you want to keep the originals.

pacpl won't output to VBR, AFAIK, but will accept a VBR original and convert it to a fixed bitrate. As always, see man pacpl for more info.

hashbanger wrote:

Nonetheless, your arrogance behooves you not. Take it from one who is well steeped in the teapot of arrogance.

#57 2012-12-06 07:51:30

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

i happen to think that every file should have the ability to have user metadata, and that should be an os issue, basically files in drawers but with possibility to put (multiple )sticker into every file and every folder. (So in that perspective i find it funny to invent something specifically for music) < I don't see how one can do that in debian (or linux in general)?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2012-12-06 07:55:28)

#58 2012-12-06 10:20:21

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

just installing puddletag now to see what the fuss is about... though i already dont like it.  always scares me when i see a load of libs being pulled in too.

libdiscid0 libjs-sphinxdoc libjs-underscore puddletag python-acoustid python-audioread python-configobj python-musicbrainz2 python-mutagen python-pyparsing    

i've been a big user of clementine in the past, and an even bigger fan and advocate of gmusicbrowser.   though now i'm finally starting to see what the fuss is about the likes of mpd+ncmpcpp.

.... meh to puddletag.  ^_^  just spewed a load of errors at me as i tried to launch it.  heh, i'll stick with mpd&ncmpcpp for now, since i've bothered ot set it up.

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#59 2012-12-06 11:43:51

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Personal preference is personal preference. But it does not make sense to me to complain about Puddletag's dependencies but to take the "bloated" Clementine with even more of them. smile

#60 2012-12-06 13:44:33

Morley
#! CrunchBanger

hhh wrote:
ivanovnegro wrote:

Usage example, say I have a folder named "The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta" and it's all in .wma format. Change to that directory...

... and run pacpl with the following switches, in this case converting to a bitrate of 192...

That will convert all .wma files in that folder, deleting the .wma files after converting them, remove "--delete" if you want to keep the originals. You can do the same with flac, wav, etc... by changing *.wma to *.flac, etc... Use any available bitrate equal to or lower than the original (--bitrate 320, --bitrate 128, etc...).

To change the bitrate of MP3s use the following, in this case reducing to 192 from, say, 320...

pacpl won't output to VBR, AFAIK, but will accept a VBR original and convert it to a fixed bitrate. As always, see man pacpl for more info.

hashbanger wrote:

Nonetheless, your arrogance behooves you not. Take it from one who is well steeped in the teapot of arrogance.

Thanks, that was really helpful big_smile big_smile

I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation!

#61 2012-12-06 21:38:35

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

@Morley, no problem. Like I said, see man pacpl. It's a powerful application, what I posted just scratches the surface.

#62 2013-01-28 00:52:32

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I've been using Audacious for the past while. It's actually quite good, but I'm still open to alternatives... this thread is a veritable goldmine for those in that situation! smile

#63 2013-01-28 02:06:31

Old Codger

I highly recommend using Subsonic for your music, not so much for managing but as a streamer for your smartphone. I have my MP3s sorted into a folder structure but use Subsonic to manage them and can search music easily. My main use of Subsonic is to stream my music onto my Android smartphone so there's no need to sync the MP3s to the phone, they jsut get streamed to it so you don't need a large SD card. Highly recommended. And for the smartphone client, I recommend DSub.

Codge

#64 2013-01-29 09:34:19

Forfrosne

cmus with a last.fm scrobbler, and tagtool if I need to change any tags. Works great for me.

#65 2013-01-30 05:22:27

vlax
#! Member
Website

kowloonboy wrote:

I use both moc and gmusicbrowser depending on my mood.

same with me : moc + gmusicbrowser

'_[=]_'

#66 2013-01-30 14:55:25

Sunshine the Werewolf

hhh wrote:
ivanovnegro wrote:

hashbanger wrote:

Damn, I've been wanting something like this for a while. Knew it was a good idea to come back to this place. Thank you.

As for music players I run Banshee because it works best for me. Since I have a netbook with a limited amount of space I tend to carry all my music on a portable HDD. Banshee doesn't care about the music being there. Some music players have a tendency to want to go and rescan every time I start it. Banshee also works with my Sansa Clip and my Galaxy Nexus so that's a plus. It even will convert from FLAC to mp3 when putting music on the Sansa Clip. The Clip does support FLAC but I really would rather have more music than the better sound quality on a portable device.  Yes, Banshee does tend to crash and yes, it has the "evil" mono. Pretty sad that I run KDE on my desktop but cannot stand Amarok.

#67 2013-01-31 01:48:29

rockon1215

I prefer minimalism in almost every program and I have an irrational hatred of QT, KDE, and orange fruits, but damn it Clementine is ALWAYS open on my computer.

As much as I love staring at terminal screens (not sarcastic at all. I love the grey background and colors on top of it and the transparency gets me aroused),  I feel like certain interfaces are simply better outside the terminal and a feature-rich music player/manager is one of them.

Clementine is so good

#68 2013-01-31 18:03:43

Rothchild

On a related theme, can anyone recommend good tools for auto searching album art and good practice for how to associate / store the art with their albums? (in the meta with the file, just as an image, in a folder, with the music, elsewhere...?)

Board footer