SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-23 17:58:19

DanielMii
Banned

Why Linux is better than W7 or Apple products

Resume on why I like Linux better than Any other O/S

- you are of course welcome to debate about it....

Here I go,

Linux is BETTER because, it is.....

- Open source: If you develop software that requires knowledge or modification of the operating system code, Linux’s source code is at your fingertips. Hell, you could customise all your software to suit your own needs if you are so inclines.

· Security: Linux is one of the most secure operating systems. “Walls” and flexible file access permission systems prevent access by unwanted visitors or viruses. Mooch, as a network administrator, this should be one of your major concerns.

· Stability: Linux doesn’t need to be rebooted periodically to maintain performance levels. It doesn’t freeze up or slow down over time due to memory leaks and such. Continuous up-times of hundreds of days (up to a year or more) are not uncommon. Once again Mooch, I believe that the servers in your side of work which never require a periodic reboot (which implies buying a backup server) are Linux servers.

· Performance: Linux provides persistent high performance on workstations and on networks. It can handle unusually large numbers of users simultaneously.

· Network friendliness: Linux was developed by a group of programmers, Linus Thorvald being the most famous, over the Internet, in various countries. As a result, it has strong support for network functionality; client and server systems can be easily set up on any computer running Linux. It can perform tasks such as network backups faster and more reliably than alternative systems.

· Flexibility: Linux can be used for high performance server applications, desktop applications, and embedded systems. You can save disk space by only installing the components needed for a particular use. You can restrict the use of specific computers by installing for example only selected office applications instead of the whole suite.

· Compatibility: It runs ALL common Unix software packages and can process all common file formats.

· Fast and easy installation: Most Linux distributions come with user-friendly installation and setup programs. Try the Ubuntu Dapper install for size. You could be doing other stuff as you are installing!

· Full use of hard disk: Linux continues work well even when the hard disk is almost full. Ext3 has proved to be a better file system than NTFS, and the new Refiser is awesome!

· Multitasking: Linux is designed to do many things at the same time; e.g., a large printing job in the background won’t slow down your other work.

· Low cost: This one appeals to me as an Igbo dude big_smile. You don’t need to spend time and money to obtain licenses since Linux and much of its software come with the GNU General Public License. You can start to work immediately without worrying that your software may stop working anytime because the free trial version expires.

Happy Days ahead for linux users!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-23 18:07:44

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: Why Linux is better than W7 or Apple products

The new reiser? Jesus, the mainline implementation of resierfs is from 2010 or something, just as Hans Reiser was convicted. You just copy pasted some bulllshit from the web and claimed it as your own, right?

#3 2013-01-23 18:09:25

intoCB
Scatweasel

Glad to see you back, Daniel.

Programming challenge:
Write a simple program that makes a verse of Shirley Ellis' The Name Game based on an inputted name as a parameter.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Name_Game

#4 2013-01-23 18:17:36

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

intoCB wrote:

Glad to see you back, Daniel.

Same!  smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#5 2013-01-23 18:17:55

schwim
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

linux fanatic stuff

There's a bunch of stuff there that could apply to any three of the OS's.  I won't mention that we could also write a post truthfully touting the superiority of each one in certain areas as well.  You just have to pick the points that fall in your favor.

Last edited by schwim (2013-01-23 18:18:34)

#6 2013-01-23 18:20:47

saneks
#! Die Hard

oh well, this topic again.. hi back daniel. but didn't you ask to have your account deleted like three days ago? wink

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#7 2013-01-23 18:22:31

anonymous
The Mystery Member

el_koraco wrote:

You just copy pasted some bulllshit from the web and claimed it as your own, right?

Bingo!

http://chxta.blogspot.com/2006/10/is-li … -good.html

#8 2013-01-23 18:38:03

intoCB
Scatweasel

@Schwim. We're a competitor whether we want it or not. Each Microsoft license we don't buy hurts their bottom line. Or is this somehow controversial?

Programming challenge:
Write a simple program that makes a verse of Shirley Ellis' The Name Game based on an inputted name as a parameter.

#9 2013-01-23 18:47:35

schwim
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

@Schwim. We're a competitor whether we want it or not. Each Microsoft license we don't buy hurts their bottom line. Or is this somehow controversial?

It's indeed a fact, it just doesn't matter to people like myself. If someone wants to purchase an MS product(or purchase and OEM machine with it preinstalled), I give them my blessings.  I use Win myself because as your OP neglected to mention, any of the other OS's beat the pants off of linux for current games.

#10 2013-01-23 19:08:53

intoCB
Scatweasel

Schwim, no one said people shouldn't buy Microsoft products. My own recent decision to run only Linux was based purely on a realisation that I don't actually need Microsoft for anything.

If I ever want to run around an imaginary landscape feeling like a tough guy and fantasising about shooting people up, I have a Wii. I hear the baseball is better, though.

Programming challenge:

#11 2013-01-23 23:50:34

schwim
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

Schwim, no one said people shouldn't buy Microsoft products.

intoCB wrote:

Each Microsoft license we don't buy hurts their bottom line.

I can't imagine how I ended up making such an inference.

intoCB wrote:

I hear the baseball is better, though.

I do recall hearing that baseball is great if you like watching men in tights adjust their junk and pat each other on the ass.  It didn't sound particular appealing to me, however.

#12 2013-01-24 00:06:33

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

And once again we see why these never end well...

Someone recently told me their boss said to them 'I do not care what you use, just get the damn job done' .. Sums it up pretty good, IMO

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#13 2013-01-24 04:33:22

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Durex > Linux

[/closed]

Point & Squirt

#14 2013-01-24 04:34:43

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Interesting method gutterslob, but fail...  big_smile

#15 2013-01-24 04:41:26

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

How so? Aside from Open Source, Durex equals or exceeds Linux in all the other categories. Heck, Durex completely annihilates Linux in the Security, Flexibility, Network Friendliness, Fast & Easy Installation and Multitasking categories. It's also more energy efficient than Linux (even when you don't dim the lights), so it probably wins the Cost category as well.

Point & Squirt

#16 2013-01-24 04:43:31

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Nice!   devil  devil  Been a while since I have laughed that hard.

I was trying to get you to expand upon it and you did, thanks mate!

#17 2013-01-24 05:18:51

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

gutterslob wrote:

...Multitasking categories....

o_O

#! forum moderator

#18 2013-01-24 07:28:06

intoCB
Scatweasel

schwim wrote:
intoCB wrote:

Schwim, no one said people shouldn't buy Microsoft products.

intoCB wrote:

Each Microsoft license we don't buy hurts their bottom line.

I can't imagine how I ended up making such an inference.

intoCB wrote:

I hear the baseball is better, though.

I do recall hearing that baseball is great if you like watching men in tights adjust their junk and pat each other on the ass.  It didn't sound particular appealing to me, however.

We use Linux because we love Linux. However, even this can deprive MS of market share.

This is not a position hostile to MS. It's a bit like when you put a huge satellite dish on the front of your Beverley Hills mansion because you really need HD access to Ukrainian sitcoms and your neighbour gets annoyed because it spoils his view or the price of his mansion. You haven't intentionally set out to hurt your neighbour but he does wish you were dead.

In any case, I was using MS the other day as an example of a company that is hostile to Linux in contrast to Canonical, which has a symbiotic relationship with the wider Linux community. It was pro-Canonical in its intent.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-01-24 07:36:33)

Programming challenge:

#19 2013-01-24 07:36:13

intoCB
Scatweasel

VastOne wrote:

And once again we see why these never end well...

Someone recently told me their boss said to them 'I do not care what you use, just get the damn job done' .. Sums it up pretty good, IMO

Indeed. I'm only single-booting Linux (Waldorf) now because I took a good look at what I really needed to get done and realised that one Debian-based Linux system made the most sense.

Programming challenge:

#20 2013-01-24 10:56:53

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Because bugs get fixed, it is always going to be more secure than a commercial O/S.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#21 2013-01-24 17:38:18

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

I agree on guttlerslob on this one big_smile

#22 2013-01-24 23:10:15

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Most of this besides the Brave Heart "we do it for freedom" stuff doesn't even apply to OSX. I saw a thread a month or so ago on another forum where an Mac Book user was asking what specifically makes Linux better than OSX for desktop/laptop machines besides the cost, and the benefits were relatively few if any (this of course is subjective to the user). He was actually considering installing Linux on his laptop, and then decided not to. I learned that you can actually compile and run an X-Windows system with whatever DE/WM you want on OSX (though I haven't tried this myself). I would actually like to see an academic comparison of performance related aspects of the two operating systems, since obviously the software availability for the two OSs is Apple's and oranges.

#23 2013-01-25 00:39:05

Iranon
#! Junkie

Mac Os X is a proper Unix, even if it's a weird one. You can do most things you'd know from the free world there, but it's not necessarily pleasant.

DEs and WMs don't always work as expected, Macports and similar projects generally don't compare favourably to Linux package managers, some stuff that looks like it's meant for hand-editing isn't...
OSX can't really play to its strengths when you pretend it's Linux.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#24 2013-01-25 08:29:59

intoCB
Scatweasel

Yeah, as I understand it, OS X has a BSD base (Darwin), which although technically closer to the original UNIX than modern System V based OS's such as AIX, Solaris and HP/UX, is not UNIX because that kind of talk landed BSD in court in the first place.

However, the other non-BSD parts of OS X are pure Apple. Does this change the nature of what lies beneath and make the totality less "secure" than a pure-blooded BSD? I honestly don't know.

Having an Apple makes you cool. Having a PC running Linux doesn't. However, being cool makes you cool. So if you're cool already, using Linux won't make you less cool, although you should never ever talk about it on a first date. In fact, a man should not talk about Linux before the woman has said "I love you" (if at all). At that point she will forgive him anything (except really creepy stuff).

It also helps to actually work with Linux. Anyone getting paid for his/her hobby is cool.

If you're a nerd, though, Linux will reinforce the image and you'd be better off getting a Mac until you move out from your mum's and learn how to dance. Actually, the Mac won't make a difference in that situation. You'll just be a poser nerd, which is the worst kind of nerd. Better just to move out and learn how to dance.

But yeah if I had a Mac, I wouldn't put Linux on it because all those UNIX-y aspects are very close to why I came to Linux.

Programming challenge:

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-01-25 09:14:21

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

intoCB wrote:

Yeah, as I understand it, OS X has a BSD base (Darwin), which although technically closer to the original UNIX than modern System V based OS's such as AIX, Solaris and HP/UX, is not UNIX because that kind of talk landed BSD in court in the first place.

Not a problem, they paid to get OSX Unix certified. BTW, all this talk about true Unixes is bullshit, the only thing left from Bell LAbs these days is the trademark.

Board footer