SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-18 08:49:09

justtryingitout

Hello everyone

I have been using linux off and on from 2000 till 2007. Then as my only OS since then. I have explored many different distros and settled down with Ubuntu in 2007 and stayed pretty consistantly with it untill now. I decided to make a live cd with all the tools I need to teach basic networking and CISCO concepts. I tried several distros ( eg Debian, DSL, Puppy) trying to get a feel for ease of use customization and portabillity between machines. When I installed #! it just felt right. I know that doesn't sound very scientific ....but WOW, I am smitten by my first impressions. In fact, this is my first casual post to a forum, I just had to express my thoughts. I still need to get my feet wet with #! to get a more grounded opinion, however this might be my new home. Since I have been using Ubuntu primarily, I was curious if the software I have purchased from their software store could be installed on #!. I am using an ASUS B53E as a test PC for this live distro. I ran into trouble with debian and the older stable kernel because of the video the laptop comes with (Intel HD 3000). I had to add backports and install a newer kernel. Anyways, I found after hosing everything up that #! had an installer that worked from the start. I was kinda curious how #! would work out of the box with my main laptop ( ASUS G53SW with GTX 460M video card). Thanks for putting up with my rave....Oh again hello everyone.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-18 09:41:45

Jimbo_G
#! Barcalounger

Re: Hello everyone

Welcome to #! (you might need to change your username if you're still here in 3 years time)  wink

#3 2013-01-18 10:22:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Welcome to the CrunchBang family, justtryingitout!  It sounds like you may be here a while.  And even if you decide to go with a different distro, remember you'll always be welcome here for the community.

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#4 2013-01-18 10:51:37

Ferre
#! Member

Welcome, justtryingitout. Since about 6 years I was a distrohopper and still I always come back 'to the dark side' (#! that is wink). It's the ONLY distro that works ALWAYS without any errors. There is actually nothing that's negative about it. Have fun in the time to come in here.

P.S. : this forum is known for being extremely helpful and friendly. Actually as it should be among Linuxers.

A computer without Windows is like a pie without mustard #!

#5 2013-01-18 13:35:36

schwim
#! Die Hard

Welcome!

We'll know it's really true love when you ask a mod for a less transient username big_smile

#6 2013-01-18 14:58:38

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard justtryingitout.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#7 2013-01-18 17:21:29

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community justtryingitout, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#8 2013-01-18 19:03:14

justtryingitout

Thank you all.
All day today I spent configuring the live cd. It was just as I was hoping for. Everything was configurable and in plain sight. I was on ubuntu sooo long that I forgot what it was like to make the OS look and act exactly like I want. It gave me fond memories of distros past. From redhat 6.1 that I picked up from Fry's to SUSE 7.2 and Debian 2.2 I picked up from the mall along with the Loki games of Kohan and Hexen. Then I clung to Mandrake 9.1 and future versions till they turned to Mandriva. Then stayed steady with Ubuntu 7.10 till today. Maybe after I complete my project I will run #! on my main laptop as it looks now I don't see anything stopping me. Again thanks for the replys.

#9 2013-01-18 19:45:13

JT

Welcome smile

Crunchbang has a nice balance between tweakability and working out of the box, all without a lot of messing around.

Board footer