SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-02 22:09:59

ohnonot
#! Die Hard
Website

Question about My Neighbours Wireless (sliding off topic)

Hello,
I have a little deal with my neighbour to use his wireless.
unfortunately it's not secured at all, also he is not a computer person, so i cant really discuss the matter with him.
i wouldn't like the idea that he or whoever set up his network would be able to read my emails. or anybody else.
can i apply encryption from my side ony?
hopefully,
d.

edit: i tried some searches, but everything deals with the security of the owner of the network/router.
like, obviously, if i was my neighbor i would set up encryption.

Last edited by ohnonot (2013-01-07 06:57:12)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-02 22:32:20

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Question about My Neighbours Wireless (sliding off topic)

Your email should be encrypted anyway through ssl (https) so even if you are on an insecure network they are "secure".

Why can't you just go round and put a password on his wifi?

You can find the default password to most routers really easy- just search for your router name + default password. It's usually something like admin, or just blank. Then you can open it to set up a wifi password.

Others may know some easier/harder/better way hmm

I don't know what you actually mean about setting up encyption- you just mean a password, rather than some ssh or vpn, or something else I don't know about (in my very finite wisdom)?

Anytime you use a network- at school, work, hotel, etc., it is essentially insecure in the sense you are suggesting right?

roll

Last edited by dura (2012-11-02 22:33:57)

#3 2012-11-02 22:53:15

ohnonot
#! Die Hard
Website

no, my wisdom on these things is definitely more finite!
i've been using mobile broadband for years and always get very confused when people start talking about routers.
i was just wondering if it was possible to encrypt my own data flow, but now i think about it more, i guess that always requires some agreement on both sides.
and no, i really can't talk to that guy. he's 80 years old and his head would probably explode if i'd try to explain it to him.
but i'm really plenty ignorant myself and open to suggestions, duh.
thnx anyway.
d.

ps: the email was just an example. generally wouldn't want anyone peeping in on my dataflow.

Last edited by ohnonot (2012-11-02 22:55:23)

#4 2012-11-02 23:22:09

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

it's probably set to be ' open'  so the 80 yo can use wi-fi without his head exploding.
if i had to type my password out every time - mine would. smile

if you felt you really needed to i'm sure you could just tell him it was broken and you knew how to fix it?

are you in a closely populated area? out here in the sticks i'm happy to have everything open...

#5 2012-11-02 23:32:12

dura
Bloated Gimp

if you felt you really needed to i'm sure you could just tell him it was broken and you knew how to fix it?

I haven't read about that solution before, apart from in the news....  tongue

There will be ways of doing this, but I know frig all monkey

Others will know I'm sure.... hmm

#6 2012-11-02 23:33:53

pvsage
Internal Affairs

If you know what brand of router, you should be able to access the settings remotely using its local IP address...it's usually something like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, etc.  Probably best to get the owner's permission first though.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#7 2012-11-02 23:45:38

skibum

If he's not using any wireless you could offer to secure it for him so that no scoundrels download anything illegal and the cops come looking for him   angel

#8 2012-11-02 23:58:34

schwim
#! Die Hard

If you're looking to secure just your traffic, I would suggest tunneling. Tunneling allows you to create a virtual private network that would encrypt all your traffic well past the router.  There are services out there ranging from free to silly and you can also roll your own if you have a server out on the intardnets.

#9 2012-11-03 00:09:10

dura
Bloated Gimp

I think to actually access the router from the network you should type 'my ip' into the search engine of your choice

It will give you your public ip address

Copy and paste that into your url bar, and it should bring up the router he has. Then you can find out the router password really easy, through portford.com or any number of similar sites. You want the admin username and admin password- its usually just admin for username, and blank for password or something

Then go to wifi settings and set up a password. All this does is create a secure connection, so others cant steal his wifi the same way you do, and sniff your packets so easily.

Proxy tunnelling, or reverse proxy whatever to his machine could be a solution....  hmm

Last edited by dura (2012-11-03 00:41:50)

#10 2012-11-03 00:35:31

dura
Bloated Gimp

yay I just set up proxy to my raspberry pi using the link schwim gave  big_smile

#11 2012-11-03 00:50:16

schwim
#! Die Hard

dura wrote:

I think to actually access the router from the network you should type 'my ip' into the search engine of your choice

It will give you your public ip address

Copy and paste that into your url bar, and it should bring up the router he has. Then you can find out the router password really easy, through portford.com or any number of similar sites. You want the admin username and admin password- its usually just admin for username, and blank for password or something

All modern routers that I know of have access to admin panel from wireless connection disabled by default, specifically for the reason you mentioned big_smile  So unless the guy who set up the router enabled it(which is doubtful, since he couldn't even be bothered to put a checkmark by "wireless encryption"), then getting to the admin panel via a wireless connection will be a no-go.

#12 2012-11-03 00:56:37

dura
Bloated Gimp

^...I thought that it was generally possible within the local network  hmm

Last edited by dura (2012-11-03 00:58:41)

#13 2012-11-03 02:40:01

schwim
#! Die Hard

All the setups I've seen disabled within the intranet through wireless.  This keeps someone from pulling up to your curb and locking you out of your own router if you've neglected to change the default password.

#14 2012-11-03 03:11:20

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

^^ not on mine, by default i had to even press the button on the machine to confirm access. and after i reset the password just to make sure. roll
this isn't the OP's router, So he should beware.
The installer of the router might have been asked to leave it open. then it 'just works' (tm)

Last edited by wuxmedia (2012-11-03 03:11:46)

#15 2012-11-03 03:52:17

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Every single one of you has failed to realise that regardless of how you secretly apply a password to the old guys router once it's done none of his machines/devices will be able to get online. The only way to do this and not have that happen is to speak to the old guy and explain much like his front door his internet connection requires a lock on it and would he be happy for you to do it.

Don't wory about lacking experience. Once you know what router he has you can find ahowto guide online I'm sure.

pay the bills with Windows, obssesed with Linux, studying CCNA when I can fit it in.

#16 2012-11-03 03:53:30

dkeg
#! Die Hard

similar ideas came up and some other good ones.  But you could use SSH as your proxy.

ssh -D 1234 -C user@hostname

where 1234 is an arbitrary port number

then in your browser network settings set the proxy up to use localhost and enter in your port number.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#17 2012-11-03 08:20:59

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

@Becker i did try and say that.
But you said it better.  wink

and this thread has given some great info in the mean time.

Last edited by wuxmedia (2012-11-03 08:21:48)

#18 2012-11-10 10:39:53

ohnonot
#! Die Hard
Website

thanks for all your answers!
i was busy setting up a (not so) new machine the past days so i got around this only now.

firstly, i offered the old guy to set up some encryption but his reaction was predictable:
"erm, thanks for the offer. i have to talk about it to my nephew next time he comes around."

that out of the way, i took a closer look at tunneling.

looks very good and like i could be just about able to set it up after about 10 fails ;-)

i had a look at a few articles - most of them seem to assume the fact that you have a
machine and a domain/server/account somewhere else as given.
since i don't, i'd have to register with one of the services out there - a free one for starters.
now securitywise that strikes me as jumping from the frying pan into the fire?
in other words, i need to have some trust in the provider that all this really results in more security,
not just allowing someone else to peek at my dataflow???

also, i get the impression that hese services are heavily bandwidth limited? at least the free ones?
in one article it said sth like 30kB/s max.???

but even so this is interesting and i'd like to take a go at it, maybe i'll get meself
an android phone one of these days....

> can someone offer advice as to which provider to choose? speed and security?
itshidden looks ok,
so does this one and this one.

i bookmarked 2 articles which i'm going to take a closer look at if i ever get around to it:
http://fsmsh.com/3743
http://dnstunnel.de/

#19 2012-11-10 10:44:55

dura
Bloated Gimp

If you get an android you can tunnel to that, or even use that as a wifi point. I do. That would bypass your security problems, but you would have to then think about data charges, etc.,

Edit: isn't http://freedns.afraid.org/ you posted just a dynamic dns provider, for hosting a website or something, so that you don't have to show your ip or change it on systems when your router decides it wants a change of numbers? I may be wrong. I can't see though how it would provide the kind of service your require.

Last edited by dura (2012-11-10 11:28:24)

#20 2012-11-10 21:20:21

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

<on topic ramble>as far as 'secure', as in 'nobody knows what i'm doing on the inertwebz' - thats a fallacy, everything is logged. from your vpn to your openvnp server. Via your own. or others ISP.
thanks to mitnik etc....
TOR is ok, but until some authority comes and says, 'you are using TOR therefore you are a pedo or a gun smuggler etc...' then confiscates your h/w. (happened to a friend of mine, who was neither...)</on topic ramble>
make sure you talk to the nephew. next time he comes around 8
if your worried about people stealing 'your' bandwidth isn't your neighbours anyway? otherwise security (privacy) is only an illusion.

#21 2013-01-04 20:19:43

ohnonot
#! Die Hard
Website

hello,
coming back to this thread, esp. schwims tip for tunneling.

for slightly different reasons, i'd like to use tunneling for 1 application.
i'm using mobile broadband.

hoping someone could walk me through the process of setting up a tunneling connection.
i registered with tunnelbroker.net and got to the page "create regular tunnel". on submitting my choices, i get this:

IP is not ICMP pingable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall.

- what to do?
i'm using a mobile broadband connection through the cb! default network manager.
so this is not about wLan anymore!

thanks in advance.

#22 2013-01-04 20:27:29

schwim
#! Die Hard

ohno, that error is usually caused by something stopping your device from being pingable, whether it's a router, software firewall, ISP has you NAT'ed, etc.  If you can ping your devices WAN IP successfully, then I'm not sure what would be causing the problem.

I would guess that mobile broadband would use a NAT style system, which might be causing your problem.

#23 2013-01-07 06:53:53

ohnonot
#! Die Hard
Website

hello, thanks schwim.
i understood your first sentence.
i've noticed before that it seems that mobile broadband often puts more restrictions on their users.

- how can i "ping my devices WAN IP"?
- i looked up NAT in wikipedia, how can i know if this applies in my case?

generally, to others, just asking:

what's the story with mobile broadband?
is it generally "worse" than "normal" internet connections?
what is possible, in terms of customizing my connection, what isn't?
glasses
ps: sliding off topic...
pps: maybe i should start looking for a more general networking tutorial?

Last edited by ohnonot (2013-01-08 07:09:15)

#24 2013-01-09 01:25:56

schwim
#! Die Hard

heya ohno,
What's your provider?  I'll try to see if they allow direct connections to your router.

It's not just mobile providers that restrict this type of thing.  I'm nat'ed on a fiber connection.  Often, it's done to keep people like me from running resource intensive things like FTP servers out of their home.  If you can't be found, you can't do a whole lot smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2013-01-12 09:14:19

ohnonot
#! Die Hard
Website

thanks for taking an interest!
i could not find it based on my ip, but this is the company:
dna.fi

this returned some info.
i wouldn't know where to look for the relevant part.

d.

Board footer