SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-30 01:39:04

rh4ck3r

Help Please

Hello everyone. I could really use your help.

I migrated to Crunchbang after being an Arch Linux Openbox user for a long time. I was having issues with openbox on the Arch system, pipe menu errors and crashes. I came to Crunchbang and am sadly having the same problem.

I was really hoping you guys could help me with this, because I am a full time welder and I dont have time to keep completely redoing the partition table, repartitioning, and reconfiguring new Linux installs from scratch. I have Cruncbang configured the way I want and Id like to keep it.

Here is the issue I have:

1. First apps I have open crash (iceweasel, terminal, audacious)
2. Then comes the pipe-menu error, that wont even let me logout, the only way to reboot is to force reboot

It should also be noted that once, while the terminal was open the errors occured, and normal commands wouldn't work, commands that involved sudo mainly.

rh4ck3r@crunchbang:~$ uname -r
2.6.32-5-686

Please help me. I had the problem on an older install after updating also, and on my current system without updating, though it did take longer to manifest.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-30 04:16:18

moetunes
#! Member

Re: Help Please

If it happened in arch and happens now in crunchbang what's in common?
If you are using the same openbox config try using the default one.
I suspect it is hardware issues though, i/o or memory issues. How old is the hardware?

#3 2012-12-30 08:23:53

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Post your rc.xml and menu.xml files on the pastebin and link to them here, then we can take a look.

#4 2012-12-30 22:08:24

rh4ck3r

rc.xml: http://pastebin.com/16dB1uf9

menu.xml: http://pastebin.com/fmMRkQp1

There they are. Also, its not the same openbox config. The hard drive has been completely wiped and repartitioned for this install. I was getting a weird error with Gparted on crunchbang live medium, said couldnt mount 26GB volume, then said an error about a label and hal. Then I put in a Gparted standalone disk I had that was nothing more than Gparted on a fluxbox bare live medium, and it did the hard drive without error. This install is running faster, and it goes longer without crash, but it still crashes and it makes me very frustrated because Iv already had to replace a hard drive. The one I put in was used to, but still lol

#5 2012-12-31 16:56:38

ew
#! Die Hard

One thing is sure. There is no such problem inside #! or openbox, so it`s got to be due to  faulthy hardware or custom scripts/changes in default scripts. Probably faulthy hardware, because I` m a linux newbie and nowhere as competent as the people who puzzle with Arch, and I get no crashes whatsoever. I haven``t had a single crash with #! and openbox.

- apt-mark hold account

#6 2012-12-31 21:20:05

rh4ck3r

ew wrote:

One thing is sure. There is no such problem inside #! or openbox, so it`s got to be due to  faulthy hardware or custom scripts/changes in default scripts. Probably faulthy hardware, because I` m a linux newbie and nowhere as competent as the people who puzzle with Arch, and I get no crashes whatsoever. I haven``t had a single crash with #! and openbox.

Well, I figured it was faulty hardware. Really I just didn't want to have to buy a new hard drive. I wanted someone here to prove me wrong, because I was hoping I was wrong.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll buy a new hard drive for it and redo everything back to what it is now. I'll probably buy a 1TB. cause sure they are expensive, but I am fond of having /boot /usr /var / and /home on different partitions, and it will allow me to allocate a good bit of space for each.

Anyways, thanks again. I'll mark it as solved.

#7 2013-01-01 05:53:28

stolid
#! CrunchBanger

You may want to do some comprehensive stability testing, as it could be something other than your hard drive. I'd run memtest (failure would mean RAM is bad), and if it passes, then I'd run prime95 (failure would mean other factors, likely CPU/mobo/power).

Registered Linux User #555399
crunchbox:     Phenom II X6 1055T | 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Radeon 7870XT | Win7 / #! 11 (i3 WM)
lambdacore:     4x Opteron 8431 | 16GB RAM | 2x1TB mirrored (ZFSoL) | Debian 7 (headless)
crunchtop:     Acer Aspire 1410 11.6" | 2GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB | #! 11 (i3 WM)

Board footer