SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-09 11:04:16

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

seeking more convenient than apt-pinning

wasnt sure whether to ask this in stable or testing... since this relates to both, in a way.

apt-pinning.

awesome isnt it?  smile

actually no.  doesnt seem so to me. 

i've still yet to ever get around to playing around with apt-pinning.
from what i've read and understood of it though, i liken it to some gentoo keywordishness... cept of course, it seems so much cleaner, easier, strightforward, more reliable, less dangerous in gentoo.

relative to those gentoo keyword experiences had.  apt pinning, while i'm really glad it's there, seems so clumsy n convoluted compared to what i'm used to.  i end up just not bothering in debian.  i'll leave the mixing up stable/experimental type stuff for my gentoo/funtoo/exherbo based systems.  ^_^

if there were a way to set up debian, so that... when i search for packages, i get to see above my standing.   so say i'm on wheezy, n search for chips, the output would show installed and installable chips packages for not just wheezy, but also sid, experimental, and even squeeze too.  but if i install chips, it just gets me wheezy's chips, unless i specify otherwise.

is that do-able?  so i get to see what candy the more bleeding edge repos have, but the package manager is under no obligation to get them unless told to do so.

so that basically, the package manager opperates exactly as it does now, with the one addition, that searches also output packages that are available in other more bleeding edged repos.  (and you can add a little option or whatever to apt-get install, or make a mark in a config somewhere, so you can tell it to install a more bleeding edged one, when you want)

can haz?

~~~...epilogue...~~~
... my brain's already starting to churn away on creating a bash wrapper script to take care of automagic'ing all this....  but it's starting to get rather convoluted and resource intensive the way i'd go about it... so i'm wondering if there's already a way... before i start trying to reinvent the wheel, when i'm one of those cavemen for whome invention of a wheel is a high branch to reach for.

did i even make it clear enough what i'm looking for?

is there already something similar?

or have i misunderstood apt pinning, and that's already a basic feature it can provide?  like a show-but-dont-install, kind of feature maybe?

Last edited by Digit (2012-12-09 11:53:42)

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-12-09 12:54:26

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: seeking more convenient than apt-pinning

Digit wrote:

or have i misunderstood apt pinning, and that's already a basic feature it can provide?  like a show-but-dont-install, kind of feature maybe?

You have completely misunderstood everything. It's not surprising, since you didn't really look at proper documentation.

#3 2012-12-09 12:56:18

pidsley
Window Mangler

Digit wrote:

Have you read hardran3's guide: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=12081 ?

What you are describing is exactly how apt-pinning works, as long as you give a lower priority to the branches you don't want to install from by default. When you use apt-cache policy to check versions, you will see all that are available. You can choose to install from whatever branch you like. I am not recommending that you do this, because you will break things, but it can be done. (now other people will appear to tell you that they have been pinning for years and never had a problem, but don't say I didn't warn you.)

You might also want to read this topic: http://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences?a … ct=Pinning and pay particular attention to the use of negative priorities in preferences.list to ensure that packages are never pulled from a branch unless you specifically ask for them.

Disclaimer: I don't pin, and I'm not going to start. I don't recommend pinning to anyone. I run sid, and that's perfectly stable and new enough for me. If I want even shinier new sh*t I use Arch.

(edit) If you want an easier (and safer) way to see what package versions are avialable in each branch, just use the Debian package website: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Last edited by pidsley (2012-12-09 13:54:12)

#4 2012-12-09 22:56:05

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

pidsley wrote:

(now other people will appear to tell you that they have been pinning for years and never had a problem, but don't say I didn't warn you.)

Could be but I am not sure I ever saw people pinning there Debian systems from the ancient world till now.

pidsley wrote:

Disclaimer: I don't pin, and I'm not going to start. I don't recommend pinning to anyone. I run sid, and that's perfectly stable and new enough for me. If I want even shinier new sh*t I use Arch.

Well said. Here, from ancient world till now seems to work and is even reported by some survivors.

Really, Sid is so much easier. Why all the people bother with pinning when in short time they reinstall the whole system anyway or hop to another thing. I declare pinning turns some Debian users to Arch after breaking their systems.

Disclaimer: Irony included in post.

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2012-12-09 22:56:34)

#5 2012-12-11 06:17:11

machinebacon
#! unstable

apt-pinning = "I want to swim without getting wet"
Personally, I would never ever do it. It is bound to bring in troubles on the long run, especially when there are packages with many dependencies involved.

#6 2012-12-11 06:45:35

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

Before turning to Sid I used to apt-pin all day. Very usefull if you want to keep your system in stable or testing and get some packages from unstable. Pinning isn't needed for experimental as this is automatically set to priority 100.
It never broke my system in a way that couldn't be solved smile

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#7 2012-12-11 13:11:21

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Tunafish wrote:

Before turning to Sid I used to apt-pin all day. Very usefull if you want to keep your system in stable or testing and get some packages from unstable. Pinning isn't needed for experimental as this is automatically set to priority 100.
It never broke my system in a way that couldn't be solved smile

It is ok Tuna, but that is the point. Do you still use this system? I see, not anymore. It had no time to break. You are now more mature and sane and run Sid. big_smile

Board footer