SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#576 2012-11-02 16:17:10

Agnus
Website

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

I just discovered that the "VMware view client" is also available through #! repos and that's great news. This will enable my old laptop at work to make use of my company's virtual desktop system from within #! ... once again I'm positively surprised.

All human evil comes from a single cause, man's inability to sit still in a room. -- Blaise Pascal

Be excellent to each other!

#577 2012-11-06 06:17:14

arinlares

It's been here for three years.  I've used Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and Arch all to varying degrees (Arch longest (2 years), and most recently)), but I came into #! around 8.10, when I had problems with an old RAM card (thought it was software at first, so I checked out this distro).  It runs just as well on the same netbook (check my post history), as it did back then.

Terminator still sucks (for me, at least).  roxterm saves the day.

#578 2012-11-09 17:29:28

Bärenhäuter

# gefällt mir optisch sehr und der Minimalismus auch. Da Ubuntu immer fetter und bunter und m. E. eine Art  Ersatzwindows wird, suchte ich mir eine kleine, aber feine Distribution, das ist für mich #.

Last edited by Bärenhäuter (2012-11-09 17:31:15)

#579 2012-11-21 00:31:19

benginm
#! Junkie

Salutations!

I could count all the reasons , but we all know them " ... " .

so  i'd like to sum it up in words " Crunchbang simple makes all the sense on a distribution " especially after moving directly to Debian base .

it sure is worthy scottro smile , thanks for flying this thread.  glasses  glasses

#580 2012-11-21 12:53:34

fatmac
#! Die Hard

#! does what I do using Debian, but with less installation hassle, (wifi usually not configured, with binary blobs missing), so I might just change over full time. I like a lightweight GUI when I'm not at the commandline, normally Fluxbox, but Openbox is fine with me. Still finding my way around #!, but as it's Debian, shouldn't take long.  smile

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#581 2012-11-26 14:02:22

ferenc

Hi,

let me just explain why I ditched Ubuntu 12.04 yesteday FOREVER and skip from dual booting with crunch to just crunch...

because it works. No hassle. X server/video/DE incompatibilities... everything works in the 1st minute and not like in ubuntu when after the 1st update, there's another update, things get resolved so that another may get broken (btw: do I have to turn off updates here?). ANd becasue it is fast(er) - love openbox!

So after months of dualbooting with mint and lately with #!, and after realising that i spend all my time in #! - I just trew ubuntu out. Ok, tint2 is now on the left side ... just seems more stable. The only thing not working were the brighness hotkeys on my system76 laptop, but when i can I am going to dig up the driver from the system76 deb ... now i just have a shortcut trough an xbacklight programme.

Not that there's actually sth wrong with ubuntu, but something always comes up... it's time for some stability. Debian stable should be the main point of entry for a new linux user...

f

#582 2012-11-26 15:29:04

whereisthetea
#! Member

Bärenhäuter wrote:

...Ubuntu immer fetter und bunter und m. E. eine Art Ersatzwindows wird...

devil  ROFL (though I only understand the Ersatzwindows bit)

I like #! for having very sensible default settings and packages installed (especially for Openbox). For being Debian. And because a research on any Linux problem sooner or later leads one to this very forum.

Anymay away icklemay akesmay away ucklemay.

#583 2012-11-26 22:04:46

TiFr3D

As say Antoine de Saint Exupery, «Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.»

#! on a 6 years old Vaio VGN-TX3HP/W core solo 1.2GHz that i use every day (LaTeX/R/Gnumeric/Web) with no lag when working, what eco-nomy/logy !

#584 2012-11-27 00:22:54

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

I came back... I ended up getting sick of Debian Stable's wireless support sometime last year (2.6.32, you little knave!) and not being able to use backports (due to openAFS support) and jumped the #! ship for a string of distros, settling on Linux Mint Debian (which is based on Testing) at home and Arch at work (it was the only one that installed on my Mac Mini without issue)... until I read there was now a #! that used Debian Testing. So I just installed it on my work laptop today.

Given that #! uses the actual Wheezy repos, it will get Wheezy updates quicker than LMDE, but it's still all Debian underneath.

Of course, I am running JWM in both #! and LMDE environments.

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#585 2012-12-02 18:28:40

wheezynebulizer

I have been using #! for a month now in VirtualBox and it works like a charm.

System : Core i3 2120 ,Zion 8 GB RAM,1 TB Seagate HDD

1.Hardware worked out of the box including sound

2.Installed codecs for the browser and VLC player - a major PIA removed.I have a non technical background so this is a great help.

3.Stable system - worked till I shutdown,then got back to work as soon as I booted it up.Very reliable- a very big point for me.I have done my time Distro hopping ,bleeding edge and all that.

4.Fast  and does everything I want my computer to do- I love Openbox and the simple install.I use Linux because it is safe from viruses and can do most of what I want to do.I am not a Windows hater,I like Windows 7 (heretical I know  smile and will probably like Windows 8 after SP2 ).I use Windows for Evernote,Yahoo Messenger with cheap Chinese made webcam and to avoid using Calibre (clunky compared to Mobipocket).Linux is what I use for the  Internet,listening to music,watching movies,reading pdf,chm and djvu format textbooks and for my photos.I don't edit videos or use Photoshop (I uninstalled Gimp).Nor do I play computer games  big_smile . So for me the minimal install was perfect.I only had to install xchm,Osmo and Opera.And thank you for installing Abiword and Gnumeric.

5.Looks good inspite of the lightweight install.Compare Puppy Linux.Yes,I know they are just Desktop environments or whatever and it is only an apt get install (and maybe a few dependencies smile ) away but I am tired.Now I just want things to work to use a cliched but nonetheless useful phrase.

6.Runs very well in Virtualbox so I can avoid the installing,the partitioning,dual boot and all that.With today's systems being what they are and CrunchBang Linux being so light,VB is the way to go.

7.eeePC use - I am going to buy a eeePC so that I dualboot stripped down Windows 7 and #! .I need a keyboard.Hopefully Intel will stick to the timeline of Atom Airmont release by 2014 and I would be able to buy a good touch+keyboard computer at the mature phase of the product lifecycle.Yes,I am aware even Asus stopped producing notebooks smile but it will work for me.The specs are decent now - 2GB RAM,64 bit architecture,Atom N2600/N2800 and the clincher for me 8 hours battery life.I read a lot of my textbooks on my computer.I read in the forums Waldorf supports Cedar trail better.

8.Based on Debian stable - that means I can stick stubbornly to Statler until dist-upgrade doesn't work  and support stops.Come to think of it I would probably still keep it if everything works.Statler is rock solid - I love it.Aptosid and Siduction while being fine distros need by their very nature need maintenance.

9.Friendly community and good documentation - this prompted me to post this as a way of saying thank you for taking the time and effort to bring out this distro and to maintain it .

#586 2012-12-03 00:59:59

pheebs

First of all, #! is now my main distro at work.  I started with Ubuntu -> Xubuntu -> #! statler. Couldn't be happier.

I run a Win XP VM on a work PC at all times with only 3GB of ram, heavy outlook/photoshop usage.  On #! it flies, where the buntu setups would get very sluggish.

Second, the style and configuration of everything out of the box is fantastic.  Minimalist and easy on the eyes, just excellent (waldorf is great too).

Third, the install scripts for first run/dropbox/chrome.  They're not that tough to setup manually, but it's a really nice touch.

Lastly, as many have said the forums are great.  Almost every question I had was answered in detail in a previous post by extremely knowledgeable people.  Love seeing screenshots and configs from other people too.

Hope to be involved more in the future, i'll be on crunch for a long time!

#587 2012-12-09 10:50:57

damirs

Well, this is the distro!

Being forced to use not *nix OS in my office environment (but in the same time, paradoxal as it is, developing stuff for Linux/Solaris!), I had to put my passion for discovering new distros aside. Earlier atempts to run something in VM (sometimes just have to have it for offline use) failed due to resource hungry "modern" Linux distros.

Recently I discovered #!.
Damn good on real hardware and also in VM (mem footprint around 70MB!) + it looks awsome and has great community support!

Thank you!

#588 2012-12-13 03:38:33

magic

Because it has a good community is light weight, fast and worked straight out the box (for me anyway)

#589 2012-12-14 18:20:22

DigitalJedi
#! CrunchBanger

Best distro for me.
I tried almost all listed in distrowatch and couldn't find anything really simple.
And I was already loving "apt-get", so I didn't want to go far away from Debian.
Main reasons:

• Debian

• Fast and stable (and I'm using "testing")

• Wanted to start using Openbox

• Not bloated

• Everything working from day 1 (except 1st run script, but nothing really important)

Looks like I'm going to stick around for some time.

"Do or do not. There is no try." ~ Master Jedi Yoda

#590 2012-12-22 17:13:33

cypher

I use #! because Archlinux has taken some unfortunate turns and the sttitude of the developers has just been too sour to ignore. Gentoo was and is a nice distro but I just don't have that kind of time anymore just to keep things running.
#! gives me almost 100% of what I do to customize an install without any effort. CoreNominal has a real winner here! Thanks for all your hard work Phillip!  smile

#! advocate

#591 2012-12-23 23:31:03

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

#! has the most impressive startup time I've ever encountered for a full featured distro. It's around 5-6 seconds. Even Puppy takes a bit longer. Of course having access to Debian repos and apt-get is very convenient. I started using Debian in 2005 after returning to Linux. Still get this warm coming home feeling when using a Debian derivative that stays close to the roots.

Openbox is great. ArchBang introduced me to it really when I got fed up with the KDE 4 and Gnome circus. Anyway, I 'd been on Xfce most of the time since 2006 already. Openbox is more elegant and renders/redraws faster than Fluxbox in my experience. Wireless is up by the time I have logged in. Good choice of applications to start with, too.

#592 2012-12-23 23:51:48

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

I just spent the majority of my day removing viruses, malware, and other assorted crap off a Windows Vista machine. Nothing makes you appreciate #! more than seeing what others are willing to put up with...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#593 2013-01-05 22:40:15

DanielMii
Banned

Lightweight
Black
Simple
Stable
No fuss
Sexy
Fast

#594 2013-01-06 03:44:39

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

I use it because it is beautifully simplistic and in such elegant fashion! I love minimalism and this distro has everything  I need and is easy to use. The fact that it is a gorgeous lightweight distro is one of it's best qualities. Not to mention the easy installation process! It took me minutes to install it on my super old 4gb compaq! And it's running as fast as a new laptop. I send my personal thanks to the creator of this distro. I also find it cool that when you want to install Chrome you just click "install Chrome" on the right click menu and bam! The terminal guides you through the installation process. Wonderful!

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#595 2013-01-18 18:15:25

geordiejohn
#! CrunchBanger

i use it because i looked up which distro is from the united kingdom and found this,i know it is a stupid idea but after using it i like it a lot.

#596 2013-01-19 00:10:10

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Funny, but when I look at other distro's now, I compare them to #!
1 Derived from Debian?
2 OpenBox or Xfce?
3 If the answer is NO to either of these, not sure it's worth the download.
Haven't really found anything better anywhere.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#597 2013-01-19 05:51:03

stolid
#! CrunchBanger

merelyjim wrote:

Funny, but when I look at other distro's now, I compare them to #!
1 Derived from Debian?
2 OpenBox or Xfce?
3 If the answer is NO to either of these, not sure it's worth the download.
Haven't really found anything better anywhere.

I do almost exactly the same. I had used Linux on and off, but I'm glad CB was where I settled down because it has brought me closer and more interested in Debian (a distro I always liked in theory but never really used beyond what Ubuntu did to it). Debian is awesome, and CB packages and configs are the icing on top. I'm not closed to other distros, but I suspect I'll stay with Debian for a long long time.

Registered Linux User #555399
crunchbox:     Phenom II X6 1055T | 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Radeon 7870XT | Win7 / #! 11 (i3 WM)
lambdacore:     4x Opteron 8431 | 16GB RAM | 2x1TB mirrored (ZFSoL) | Debian 7 (headless)
crunchtop:     Acer Aspire 1410 11.6" | 2GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB | #! 11 (i3 WM)

#598 2013-01-25 15:49:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I really needn't type anything here - just follow Twi's gaze to the LSB info in my Conky and look at the expression on her face.
taDd3ZQ
That's how CrunchBang makes me feel; that's why I use CrunchBang.

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#599 2013-01-25 21:21:16

intoCB
Scatweasel

That should be an official wallpaper.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but Martin Amis irks me.

Be excellent to each other!

#600 2013-01-26 02:48:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

intoCB wrote:

That should be an official wallpaper.

Source: http://quanno3.deviantart.com/art/Twili … -319898627 /)(^3^)(\

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Board footer