SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-12-04 11:27:01

nore
#! Junkie

Re: Waldorf freezes randomly

Madidas wrote:

Liqourix kernel (3.6.0-8.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64) and freezing was solved.

Good to hear you are in clear waters now. So, all you did was installing liquorix kernel with smxi?

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2012-12-04 12:28:06

Madidas

nore wrote:

Good to hear you are in clear waters now. So, all you did was installing liquorix kernel with smxi?

Yep and installed graphics drivers  through smxi. Driver update might solved freezing and kernel that USB HDD problem.
Or other way around, but it works now.

Twitter: Madi_das
Flickr: Madi_das
Photography equipment: Nikon D5000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, Meike battery handle and mini tripod.

#28 2012-12-04 12:58:08

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I have an ivy bridge i7, I will confirm that the problem is in the kernel. There is kink that ivy bridge processors do not play nice with 3.2 kernels. I use the siduction kernel, but I am sure that the updated Liqourix is just as good.

#! ought to look at shipping with a newer kernel, if i remember correctly, didn't it used to ship with a liqourix kernel way back?

Either way we need a wiki or a sticky with instructions to upgrade the kernel in these situations.

What I did was edit my /etc/apt/sources.list with:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and I added:

deb ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/base unstable main contrib non-free

Next you have to update and install the keyring:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install siduction-archive-keyring

Finally you can install the kernal meta-package

sudo aptitude install linux-image-siduction-amd64

OR

sudo aptitude install linux-image-siduction-686

Now you should be in ivy bridge Nirvana!

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

#29 2012-12-04 13:08:40

nore
#! Junkie

One can install siduction kernels semi-automatically with smxi, too. Question is, how does siduction kernel differ from liquorix?

#30 2012-12-04 13:17:26

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

nore wrote:

One can install siduction kernels semi-automatically with smxi, too. Question is, how does siduction kernel differ from liquorix?

I am a regular tester for siduction, but no expert. As I understand it, Sidution uses an "optimized" vanilla kernel. Liqourix is not a vanilla kernel, it is patched. I read somewhere that Linus even praised the brevity of the coding in the patch. Long story short it uses the BFS or Brain Fuck Scheduler to organize data. Since I use an SSD,  I boot with the line

elevator=noop

in my /etc/default/grub which I understand is better in my situation.

Other changes to the Liqourix kernel include power optimizations that are great for a desktop, but as I understand it Liqourix is for aimed at desktops, not laptops. (again this is all hear-say)

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

#31 2012-12-04 16:57:54

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Thanks!  Upgrade it a little in what way?  If you have suggestions, I am open to them.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#32 2012-12-04 17:39:49

dura
Bloated Gimp

Brainfuck scheduler!

Power savings!

#33 2012-12-07 03:14:50

ashughes

Madidas wrote:

@VastOne And thanks for that "smxi How To" guide. But I guess you need to upgrade it a little bit.

I second this. Since using the Liquorix kernel for a few days I've yet to experience this freezing. I guess this problem is something in the 3.2 kernel. Thank you for the smxi how-to.

#34 2012-12-07 21:33:26

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

Thank you everyone for this thread.  I've just spent one month away from Crunchbang in an effort to find out why
my system kept locking up.  I have a brand new Lenova I7. 

As soon as I got this new laptop, I loaded Crunchbang on it, "Waldorf' edition and noticed these lockups.
There were NO system messages in /var/log files indicating the problem.

I too assumed it was video related so I started using other distributions.  I tried just straight WHEEZY using Debian's
beta install disks.  The PC still locked up.  Then I put on a copy of Mint 13 for a few days and there was no problem
Next I tried Open Suse 12.2 and there were no problems.  Finally, I tried Slackware 14 and it's 3.2.29 kernel and there were problems
as I was locking up for no reason.  I decided to compile a 3.4.20 kernel for Slackware and it was still locking up.
Finally, I did the 3.6.9 and that solved the problem.   You need a 3.5 development or 3.6 kernel installed to use this processor.
And this upset me much as just about all the new laptops use these processors, a significant number do...
And these people are going to be trying Debian and failing....  What's sadder is by say summer or maybe fall of next year,
the debian people will be backporting a 3.4 kernel I will just bet, and it still won't solve the problem.  It's hard to believe
we could have to wait for perhaps 4 years before debian releases a 3.6 kernel to solve this crisis....

And with this fact established, I think Phillip should do some thinking about offering a 3.6 kernel in his Crunchbang repos.
I will tell you that the 3.6.9 kernel is much faster than what we have...

Again, thanks everyone for the extremely useful information.  It will help many people.  The word need to get out about this.
Write debian as I have and let them know.  Thousands of new users will end up going to Ubuntu because of this simple fact
and they will judge Linux based on what they find there.  And that is something to think about if you care for the debian community and quality software...

#35 2012-12-07 23:02:58

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

^ Newcomers normally do not care about Debian, so that what you describe won't happen:

and they will judge Linux based on what they find there

But you are right in some things, especially about the kernel, and I am honest here. For me e.g., Debian Stable is more or less obsolete for a desktop system, read, for me. Even in Sid, you have to fight old kernels. At least, on my systems they work all. I have also legacy hardware by now. So I do not even bother with more recent kernels. Everything vanilla from Debian runs fine here.

But we still have options, and that is when you run Sid, maybe also Testing, we can use the smxi scripts to install newer kernels, or just add Aptosid/Siduction/Liquorix repos with their respective kernels. And of course we can compile if we really need to.

So, if you want to run Debian, I am sure there is no problem with it, your milage may of course vary.
How that affects Crunchbang, not sure, I do not use it.

#36 2012-12-08 04:22:02

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Since, I first installed #!Waldorf in mid-Oct. 2012, (Thinkpad X1 laptop) - I have only had one 'freeze' - today!!

I just installed the Liquorix 3.6.0-9_amd64 Kernel on my #!Waldorf 20121015 install.
Following instructions from the Liquorix Project website.

We'll see how it goes . . .  lol

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

Board footer