SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-30 16:17:57

apm
#! Junkie
Website

mac users show gratitude to steve macintyre for EFI support in debian

when i bought my mac i was hardly anything close to a *nixer
but once i started climbing the map in *nix land
i found myself deep down hills under os x 's core , and realised this just ain't my stuff
and switched to a zillion distros one after another and in that era  only 3 of them had grub-efi stock
1)*buntus 2)fedora 3)opensuse

i asked myself when will debian be ready to boot solely on its own with a stock config in a 'purist' kinda way on my mac
for 2 years my life was a mess without debian's "no bullshit , stability uncompromised " approach

at last when i heard steve macintyre was working on an EFI installer for wheezy , my heart skipped a beat
and then finally he uploaded the first unofficial EFI installer images on his dev branch , the experience was awesome smile

and then came wheezy beta 3 ..... then came beta 4 .....
and now wheezy is gonna go stable with 100% EFI support , it has happend tongue

a huge sentiment of gratitude to steve macintyre for making it happen , from the announcment at the deb conf. 2012 to the beta 4 images
released a few days back , one phraze can sum up my experience 'delighted in my soul' smile

sometimes all you need is to face the worst fear you have and to overcome it.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-30 18:50:07

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: mac users show gratitude to steve macintyre for EFI support in debian

Wait, the stock Wheezy installer can do an install on the Apple version of UEFI? As in, you don't need Bootcamp and Refit and all that?

#3 2012-11-30 18:55:46

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I'm glad they're getting all this in there before the stable wheezy release. Kudos to Steve Macintyre for making this possible. Also, we should thank Matthew Garrett and numerous other devs who helped make UEFI on GNU/Linux possible at all.

#4 2012-11-30 19:08:51

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

Whoa, so I can dump my Arch install on my office Mac?  devil

How long before this trickles down to #!?

Last edited by bigbenaugust (2012-11-30 19:16:23)

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#5 2012-11-30 23:22:40

mitchejj

I for one know I can't wait for the next Waldorf-beta that may  support the new installer.

I've been looking towards installing #! on my other old MacBook, however I've been jumping thru hoops to get #! to boot.

#6 2012-12-01 07:40:44

apm
#! Junkie
Website

el_koraco wrote:

Wait, the stock Wheezy installer can do an install on the Apple version of UEFI? As in, you don't need Bootcamp and Refit and all that?

YES SIR ,try wheezy beta 4 images  cool

and just to be clear : uefi is a newer standard introduced in late 2010 , EFI however is intel-apple's(just like thunderbolt) standard dating back to 2005.
but yes the wheezy installer works for both apple EFI and UEFI (not secure boot though ) thus the debian-cd team named it an EFI installer
not UEFI installer .

Last edited by apm (2012-12-01 07:49:47)

#7 2012-12-01 07:44:03

apm
#! Junkie
Website

mynis01 wrote:

I'm glad they're getting all this in there before the stable wheezy release. Kudos to Steve Macintyre for making this possible. Also, we should thank Matthew Garrett and numerous other devs who helped make UEFI on GNU/Linux possible at all.

agreed smile

#8 2012-12-01 09:30:20

pucko

I used one of the Debian weekly builds a couple of weeks ago and installed on my mbp with USB stick. The manual partition/installation wouldn't let me use LVM and encryption then, will re-install soon to se if it's fixed.

Works like a charm otherwise smile Boots in 20 seconds or so to tty.

Did my first ever 'apt-get purge gnome*' on that install, best thing ever wink
(nothing against gnome, just need the space)

#9 2012-12-01 10:26:37

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

apm wrote:

and just to be clear : uefi is a newer standard introduced in late 2010 , EFI however is intel-apple's(just like thunderbolt) standard dating back to 2005.

Not really, EFI is Intel's standard, UEFI is the continuation of that standard in conjuction with other OEMs. The older standard is UEFI 1x, the newer one UEFI 2x. Apple uses a combination of 1x and 2x, because they are special. They didn't work with Intel on it, they just implemented stuff in their own way, because older Macs ran a 64 bit system on 32 bit kernels and so on.

#10 2012-12-03 02:09:10

mitchejj

My little adventure with the wheezy beta-4 installer.

I have two older MacBooks:
(2,1) -- CPU 64-bits, EFI 32-bits -- Currently running Waldorf 64-bit
(4,1) -- CPU 64-bits, EFI 32-bits -- Currently running Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit *

With my first attempt to try the installer, I grabbed the amd-64 version sent to a near by flash drive, and rebooted my older (2,1) MacBook, FAIL.

Today in IRC apm got me thinking about the installer so I gave it another run. I recreated the boot stick, with a small change. The amd-64 installer was able to boot my (4,1) MacBook.

Next up I tried the i386 installer, it failed in all aspects. Not only wouldn't mount on either system. It, of course wouldn't boot, and yes the md5sum did match and I also tried obtaining the iso via jigdo.

I also tried the multi-arch installer, once again my (4,1) MacBook boot just fine while the (2,1) MacBook just sat waiting for something it could boot.

* One final note, I also somehow managed to to screw up my (4,1) MacBook hard drive in the process /dev/sdb3 now reports itself as an unknown file system. sad I tried recovering it with parted and a few other things I found online. Looks like I will just have to do a fresh install, which raises a new question. Should I wait for the next installment of Waldorf, install Waldorf or install debian-wheezy-b4.

#11 2012-12-03 13:20:38

apm
#! Junkie
Website

I also tried the multi-arch installer, once again my (4,1) MacBook boot just fine while the (2,1) MacBook just sat waiting for something it could boot.

if the multiarch image can't boot the MB(2,1) then i suggest filling a bug report for it , in the meantime if you could install wheezy debian live or waldorf
via a cd
by holding c at startup  and after installing to HD , boot to the hd via the grub menu from the cd  and then installing grub-efi on hd
or install refit from the repos (no i am not delusional it's in the wheezy repos)
then i believe that shall give you an independably booting system ?

Last edited by apm (2012-12-03 13:29:57)

#12 2012-12-03 21:27:51

mitchejj

File a bug maybe, I rather have a better idea of what I'm doing before I do that, I fear I'm doing something stupid that's causing the (2,1) MacBook from booting with the beta4 installers.

I think I may have some extra time to night to start install Waldorf on my (4,1) MB then I can devote some time trying to figure out the (2,1) MB.

Edit: This may or may not work but seeing I have some time tonight, I'm going to use the amd-64 netinst and install the bare necessities (ssh-server), then I'm going to follow INSTALLATION CREATE #! WITH DEBIAN NETINSTALL with the relevant changes. I assume that should cut down on the excess cruft.

Last edited by mitchejj (2012-12-04 00:38:51)

#13 2012-12-15 19:07:24

silince
#! CrunchBanger

I notice that Waldorf now successfully installs on my Lenovo 205 (which previously seemed to only like Fedora).  I presume this is because Debian have sorted some of the more awkward UEFI stuff now.  So I'm celebrating along with the above.

Debian Wheezy on VeryPC Low Energy Desktop | Elementary on Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 | #! on Lenovo Ideapad S205 | Raspbmc on Pi | Linux Mint 17 XFCE on Lenovo W530.

Board footer