SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-21 16:46:47

Murilo

Hello Everyone

As everyone else I'm new at CrunchBang as well as Linux.
I have been using computers since TRS-80 (from Radio Shack) and in my daily activities I use Windows (I'm a software salesperson).
I begun to try Linux because I got interested in Python, and because of Python I got back to C.
It seemed to me that Linux made much more sense than Windows as a development environment.
It looks like a right choice but the learning curve is steep (to Linux) - too many information and too much choices to get to a point (Windows is much more restrict).
Before setting to CrunchBang10, I tried Ubuntu 10.2, Fedora 17 KDE, Debian 6.
I tryed them all in VMware inside Windows 7, and then I bought a new computer (i5, 4Gb memo, 500 Gb HD).
In the new computer I installed Debian 6 (izzy). In the beginning it worked just fine but after I downloaded and installed the programs I wanted to try it the "root" partition run out of space. After that I could not install anything else. I tried to change the root partition size but it did not work (my lack of knowledge, perhaps). I tried to re-install Debian a couple of times o try to make the root partition bigger but I was not able to create a bigger root partition in the attempts (once again maybe lack of knowledge).
I tried the Fedora 17 KDE (which I think look very nice) but I could never do fine with Fedora's Package Manager, so I decide to try Ubuntu.
I tried Ubuntu but it feels like it is very heavy (compared to other distros) and their Package Manager did not pleased me.
Finally I decided to try CrunchBang. When I tried it in a VM at Windows 7 it had a very minimalist look which I very much liked but I was a like skeptic about how I would feel about the Openbox Windows.

But it worked just fine. The Package Manager is the same as Debian, which I like very much. After a few tweaks here and there I was able to find my way around Openbox Windows (especially when I use the apps to customize its menus). CB is fast, stable and very good to work with.

I'm still having problems to get used to Linux but the programming tools are working just fine (Python 3.2, Emacs and gcc).

Now I'm having some problems trying with Python 3.3.0 installation, but this goes to another post in a different area.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-21 17:13:47

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: Hello Everyone

Welcome to CrunchBang, Murilo, and hope you enjoy your stay with our distro.

[Incidentally, I'm not sure Python 3.3 is ready for prime time, but I'll let someone who's more experienced at that address it.]

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2012-11-21 18:27:53

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Hi Murilo, Linux takes a while to get used to, but is really worth it.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#4 2012-11-21 18:34:23

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Long live the TRS-80!

#5 2012-11-21 22:02:50

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Murilo, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#6 2012-11-22 13:27:09

nikki

Welcome Murilo

I found this little tutorial very handy for getting comfortable in the terminal, which is a big part of Unix/GNU Linux in general.
http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/

accidentaly the same author has made an excellent free Python book too! (C book too actually)
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

The python version used in that book is 2.7 because that's still the status quo atm.

goodbye!

Last edited by nikki (2012-11-22 13:28:30)

#7 2012-11-22 18:16:57

Murilo

Thanks all for the welcome. smile

nikki, thanks for the tutorials.

schwim, E-Dribble is great. devil

Board footer