SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-08 12:25:45

plantperson
#! Member

New keyboard: power hotkeys no longer work [solved]

Hi all,
I just got a new keyboard for my laptop and now the XFCE Power Manager no longer responds to hotkey preferences. I'd originally had it set to suspend when the power button on my laptop was pressed, and to do nothing when the sleep button was pressed. As soon as I connected the new keyboard, however, pressing the power button no longer does anything. The sleep button on the new keyboard likewise is unresponsive, even though I set the Power Manager to suspend when it's pressed. Disconnecting the keyboard doesn't make the laptop power button work again, either. The keysym of the new keyboard's sleep key is XF86Sleep, which sounds right to me.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by plantperson (2012-11-17 17:14:48)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-17 10:01:19

Obadobo
Website

Re: New keyboard: power hotkeys no longer work [solved]

If you use Openbox as a window manager it's fairly simple to set up key bindings - see http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/#Key_mouse

#3 2012-11-17 10:09:06

benginm
#! Junkie

Hi PP! smile

i would reboot then check and see what udev says in /var/log/dmesg , and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

if anything worth mentioning , udev has rules  .. at the moment!  i can't seem to recall which file on which directory .

and of course check what " Obadobo " mentioned .

#4 2012-11-17 17:16:31

plantperson
#! Member

Since no XFCE suggestion was forthcoming, I went ahead and set up a keybinding like Obadobo suggested and that's good enough. For those with the same issue, the line I added was:

<keybind key="XF86Sleep">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>dbus-send --session --dest=org.freedesktop.PowerManagement --type=method_call --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Suspend</command>
      </action>
</keybind>

Board footer