SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-14 21:38:56

ohnonot
#! Die Hard

Screensaver + Backlight (Power Off) Trouble

Hello,
i'm having issues with xscreensaver and/or xfce4-powermanager on a new waldorf install.

i usually set up the screensaver to blank only after 4 or 5 min and switch off monitor after 5 or 6 min.

the screensaver kicks in but kicks out a second later again.

when xfce4 power management is enabled, it goes to a weird kind of flickering which sometimes takes half of my cpu (process X or xorg) or even locks up iceweasel. it usual takes some right-clicking the desktop to get out of that.

when only xscreensaver is enabled, with its own power management, the screensaver kicks in and switches off the backlight (i suppose this is the same as "power off") but kicks out again almost immediately.

the only time the screensaver works is when i disable all power management, but that's not good for me, i need the backlight off if i want to download sth big and leave the computer alone for a few hours.

xbacklight -set 0 dims the backlight to a low level, does not switch it off.
also Fn + F4/F5 keys only dim, never switch off.

i'd be happy to replace both xscreensaver and xfce4-powermanagement with sth more simple, but what.

i used xubuntu (which also uses xscrnsvr + xfce4-pwrmgt) with openbox on a different machine and never had a problem with that so maybe more hardware specific?

it's an msi notebook vr601 with an intel onboard graphics chip.

thanks for reading. hope someone can help...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-15 05:41:11

machinebacon
#! unstable

Re: Screensaver + Backlight (Power Off) Trouble

Let's have a try - let DPMS manage it instead of xscreensaver. Put these into your autostart:

xset s on &
xset dpms &

#3 2012-11-15 15:35:44

ohnonot
#! Die Hard

thanks machinebacon!

xset s on &
xset dpms &

these had no effect. after replacing xscrnsvr and xfce4-pwrmgr with those in autostart, and rebooting, the screen did not blank at all any more. well not after 25min at least.

i tried from the terminal:

xset dpms force off
xset dpms force suspend
xset dpms force standby
xset +dpms
xset -dpms
xset s 20

- they all worked, but immediately after blanking and backlight off, it unblanks again.

i tried killing off processes 1 by 1 and retrying xset s 20.
killing tint2, conky, iceweasel(firefox-bin), transmission, ...
still the same.

i searched "laptop power manage" in synaptic but only xfce4-power-mgr is installed.

so before i start shooting in the dark, is there anything else i can do?

desperately,

d.

#4 2012-11-15 18:58:24

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Xfce was always strange in this regard to me. I would just disable the 'useless' screensaver and use only the power manager to blank the screen, worked perfectly here with Xfce 4.8. I also use always only the option to blank my screen on all DEs and never touch the screensaver, it just does too many things on the screen when all I want is a black and silent screen.

#5 2012-11-15 19:22:03

ohnonot
#! Die Hard

yes i totally agree with that, but no, this is not the problem here.
the problem is that regrdless of which program i use for switching off the backlight, the screen lights up again immediately.

i tried disabling either xfce4-pwrmgmt or xscrsvr and also both but the problem persists.

and with disabling i mean commenting it out in autostart and rebooting.

right now i'm running neither, just some xset-magic as described by machinebacon - but the problem persists. duh.

#6 2012-11-15 19:51:27

ohnonot
#! Die Hard

i managed to switch the backlight off persistently with

sudo vbetool dpms off

- however i locked myself out and had to reboot the hard way.

also this faintly rings a bell (compare my first post) and maybe this.

something tells me all this has sth to do with my intel onboard graphics chip...

however before i start going into that kind of stuff with my half-knowledge i'd be glad to get some feedback or suggestions.

thanks in advance!

Board footer