SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-27 18:36:57

SebKaine
Website

Hello guys !

Hi guys !

I'm glad to join this community ! My name is emmanuel and i'm a VFX artist and programmer.
I use to be a ubuntu guy but i really don't like the "apple fancy docks religion" that ubuntu has now embrace !

well my company want to switch on Linux and i'm trying to find a kickass distro for running all our 3D softwares.
i really want to use a debian base distro and i really need STABLE and RELIABLE base. (thats why debian is my moto ... smile )

i have isolated 3 potential version
- Debian 6 squeeze
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (My favorite one before the dawn ...)
- CrunchBang 10

My favorite is now crunchbang because the openbox interface is just exactly what i want , i also love the fact that it is directly debian squeeze base !

But i would need your advise guys as i am really not a linux guru , just to know where i am going smile
So thats a lot of question but i hope it will be a yes for most part of them ... (finger cross)
- is crunchbang really reliable with highend 3D software like Maya or Houdini  ?
- is crunchbang a good distro to setup a renderfarm ?
- is NVIDIA driver  (geforce and quadro) running smoothly  ?
- is it possible to run Python 2.7, gcc 4.1.2 , glibc 2.3.2 smoothly in parallel of the official version ?
- is it possible to run the last version of QT for software developer as all ou R&D is Qt Base. ?

Well i really hope i will be able to be an active member of this community !
Anyway i've already choose crunchbang as my personnal distro and I LOVE IT .
So congratulations for the hardwork and the philosophy of minimalism you've embrace !
Please keep it ! cause lot of good distros fall into this trap of more and more stuff like fedora and now ubuntu ...

Cheers

Emmanuel

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-27 19:08:56

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Hello guys !

Hello!

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community SebKaine, we are glad to have you!

Since #! is based on Debian, most of your questions can be answered that if they are in the debian repos, they can be run on #!.

I run nVidia drivers with no issues.   I run QT apps with no issues.

I have in the past had to pin to Testing or Sid to get things to run in stable.  With the pending release of #! Waldorf, based on Wheezy/Testing when Debian Wheezy goes Stable, I think it will be less of an issue.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-10-28 04:45:52

cbdxs
#! Die Hard

Welcome to #!

叫我差不多先生。

#4 2012-10-30 08:01:02

SebKaine
Website

Thanks for your answers guys !

I think i'm gonna start an intense phase of testing now ! at the end its the only way to know ... I'll be around smile

Cheers

E

Board footer