Hi guys !
I'm glad to join this community ! My name is emmanuel and i'm a VFX artist and programmer.
I use to be a ubuntu guy but i really don't like the "apple fancy docks religion" that ubuntu has now embrace !
well my company want to switch on Linux and i'm trying to find a kickass distro for running all our 3D softwares.
i really want to use a debian base distro and i really need STABLE and RELIABLE base. (thats why debian is my moto ... )
i have isolated 3 potential version
- Debian 6 squeeze
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (My favorite one before the dawn ...)
- CrunchBang 10
My favorite is now crunchbang because the openbox interface is just exactly what i want , i also love the fact that it is directly debian squeeze base !
But i would need your advise guys as i am really not a linux guru , just to know where i am going
So thats a lot of question but i hope it will be a yes for most part of them ... (finger cross)
- is crunchbang really reliable with highend 3D software like Maya or Houdini ?
- is crunchbang a good distro to setup a renderfarm ?
- is NVIDIA driver (geforce and quadro) running smoothly ?
- is it possible to run Python 2.7, gcc 4.1.2 , glibc 2.3.2 smoothly in parallel of the official version ?
- is it possible to run the last version of QT for software developer as all ou R&D is Qt Base. ?
Well i really hope i will be able to be an active member of this community !
Anyway i've already choose crunchbang as my personnal distro and I LOVE IT .
So congratulations for the hardwork and the philosophy of minimalism you've embrace !
Please keep it ! cause lot of good distros fall into this trap of more and more stuff like fedora and now ubuntu ...
Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community SebKaine, we are glad to have you!
Since #! is based on Debian, most of your questions can be answered that if they are in the debian repos, they can be run on #!.
I run nVidia drivers with no issues. I run QT apps with no issues.
I have in the past had to pin to Testing or Sid to get things to run in stable. With the pending release of #! Waldorf, based on Wheezy/Testing when Debian Wheezy goes Stable, I think it will be less of an issue.
If you build it, they will come...
Words That Build Or Destroy
Welcome to #!