SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-24 15:43:33

robstras

Hello all!

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start off by thanking the forum users for their invaluable help, even if they don't know it.

After having tried Ubuntu (too slow) and Lubuntu (too fiddly), I decided to give CrunchBang a whirl based on some very positive reviews on Distrowatch. And initially I found it a bit of a challenge - but the speed and agility that this lightweight system provides is incredible. It's honestly like a new system.

I've only been in the Linux world for a few months, having been a lifelong Windows user, but following a dodgy partition table problem I decided to take the leap, and haven't looked back.

Once I got CrunchBang up and running, I needed to get some help and information on a few subjects - not all of which are resolved yet! However, I've found that the people on here give great advice and write useful comments, and so thanks to all of you.

I'm running a small HP Mini 210 with 1Gb of RAM, and under Windows 7 it ran like hell, and now... wow. Love it.

Outside of that, I'm a English teacher living in France (so would be up for any translation help I can provide), and a Browncoat...

Cheers!

Rob

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-09-24 18:01:32

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Hello all!

Yo. This place rulez

#3 2012-09-24 18:57:01

vicshrike
#! by Default

Welcome to #! and forums robstras, glad to see you like #!, and glad that you decided to join us here, have fun!

#!, all else is but a shadow

#4 2012-09-25 00:40:03

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community robstras, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#5 2012-09-25 00:49:37

ad
#! Member

I am a Spanish teacher living in Iowa. Nice to see humanists here and welcome.

Last edited by ad (2012-09-25 00:50:56)

#6 2012-09-25 12:12:12

thalassophile

Hey, Iowa.  Fellow humanist here -- also in Iowa!

Welcome to the serene world of efficiency and organization, OP.  #! is the best.  I went from PC/DOS to DOS 5.0 to Win9x to Mandrake, then immediately Debian, back in the day.  This distro combines the rocksolid awesomeness of Debian and access to development repositories downstream from the testing branch (if that's how you roll) with the thin but hardly threadbare Openbox environment.

I always say there's one thing I want from my box: instant, unhesitating obedience, every single time.  I have found my Eldorado in this distro since I went to #! statler/squeeze, and am now running waldorf. 

I love the power of editing isolated parameters in vim or nano.  Truth be told, what need is there for a GUI to act as a superfluous intermediary? Use your noggins kiddoes.  These are computers -- instruments.  Ought we not know how to use them? Isn't that exciting, even?

I haven't had this much fun using my box in ages.

Last edited by thalassophile (2012-09-25 12:16:07)

Roses are #FF0000; violets are #0000FF; all my base belongs to you

#7 2012-10-03 02:39:24

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

robstras wrote:

I needed to get some help and information on a few subjects - not all of which are resolved yet!

Search the forums first, and ask second, but between the two, there's very little that can't be resolved here. Of cousre, it helps to have people smarter than I to ask the questions of... smile
Welcome to #! smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Board footer