SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-07 03:29:41

The Immoralist

Introducing The Immoralist

Hello all. I'm very new to the whole world of Linux, so be gentle with me.

I'm a web designer by day and DJ by night. I had a prehistoric laptop I wanted to revive so I added some RAM and installed #! and am delighted with how painless it all was. Also, as a web person I've been finding myself moving further away from just doing the pretty stuff and more drawn towards the nuts and bolts of PHP, mySQL and all the rest where having a 'nix system to develop on is a great advantage. I've now converted my main work machine to dual boot with windows 7 thanks to scraps of knowledge I've gleaned from these forums and am loving it (I'm not quite ready to make the full separation from Windows yet as I have tools I've been using for years and could not do without, and also I need to test design work on as many systems as possible).

For someone who has been used to gui's all the way I was initially scared of the terminal, but we are developing a good relationship now. It's a steep learning curve, but one I'm really enjoying.

I hope to be helpful to other people one day, and not be too annoying in asking what are probably really obvious questions.

Anyway, greetings from the merry old land of Aus.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-09-07 03:47:43

vicshrike
#! by Default

Re: Introducing The Immoralist

Welcome to #! and forums Immoralist, good choice of distro you have made. Just take your time and suddenly one day you will notice that you have not logged into your Windows system for three months! Have fun & ask away if you are in doubt!

#!, all else is but a shadow

#3 2012-09-07 04:23:24

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome, Immoralist, and don't worry about asking questions -- this is probably the most informative forum staffed by the friendliest people you can find anywhere in Linux-land. Enjoy your stay with CrunchBang!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#4 2012-09-07 15:18:43

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Hi Immoralist - I like playing with web pages too, though I'm not an expert at all - html, css, bit of php - but since shifting to Linux it's been so much fun here that my site has been sadly neglected. neutral

Anyway, welcome to CrunchBang, take a seat and make yourself at home! smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )

#5 2012-09-08 00:29:42

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community The Immoralist, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#6 2012-09-10 19:11:27

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #! smile

Still got one Windows partition for the Microsoft-only stuff; Silverlight, used by Netflix - and no bloody one else!
Hoping somebody comes up with an HTML5 work-around soon... roll

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Board footer