SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-29 13:38:47

slapfish
#! Die Hard

Network Manager: Setting Manual IPs/Bypassing Keyring

Hello,

I was searching how to set a manual IP/GW/DNS with network manager and i finally found the answer on ArchWIKI.

There is a section which tells you how to bypass Gnome keyring for normal users connecting with wireless, which is another great thing to do. I'm quoting (with minor additions) the answer:

It's super simple! First, create a group called networkmanager with the following command (or any other method you prefer):

# sudo groupadd networkmanager

Then add your user to that group using the following command (or any other preferred method):

# sudo gpasswd -a username networkmanager

Replace username in the above command with your actual username.

Now, as root, launch nm-connection-editor and configure the connections:

# sudo nm-connection-editor

Put a check mark next to "Available to all users" and apply the settings.

Now you won't be bothered by Gnome keyring! (citation needed) Also, if you additionally enable "connect automatically", your connection will be available and connected before you even log in to your desktop, making your whole startup process even faster!

By the last step (sudo nm-connection-editor) I was able to set the manual IPs to auto eth0 and when I applied the change was persistent. Now I'm already connected to my office wired network every time I log in!

P.S. I also verified that network manager can "see" and connect to wireless networks with so low signal that wicd can't. This is the reason I re-replace wicd with network manager and now that I have found the easy-way to set manual IPs I'm happy again! smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-10-03 09:50:12

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

Re: Network Manager: Setting Manual IPs/Bypassing Keyring

slapfish wrote:

I was searching how to set a manual IP/GW/DNS with network manager and i finally found the answer on ArchWIKI.

Thanks for sharing, interesting to read.

I had this solved by running sudo nm-connection-editor and make manual settings.
I disabled the password check by deleting ~/gnome2/keyrings.
That way it's not necessary to add the user to a group. Mainly because i don't know how to use the groups hmm

Tuna.

Last edited by Tunafish (2010-10-03 09:51:19)

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

Board footer