SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-24 09:13:13

Apex

HOWTO Install CrunchBang onto the Dell Inspiron 11z

I recently laid hands on one of these laptops, which are roughly almost very similar to a net-book in size and having no CD or DVD drive available then presents the user with the dilemma of how to install CrunchBang (#!) onto it.

Allow me to present you with the solution, ladies & gentlemen I give you UNetbootin. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD and it runs on both Windows and Linux.

The stable Jaunty Standard Edition - 32 bit has all the drivers needed to work with this laptop out of the box and as it uses a Celeron processor the i686 version of Linux is suitable.

Once you have the ISO image of #! (crunchbang) you simply have to insert a big enough USB pen and then select Disk Image ISO and select the ISO of #! (crunchbang) then let that install onto the USB device (usually drive G:)
dbimage.php?id=173795

Once that has finished copying the files over to the USB Device, you simply have to reboot the laptop and press F2 to enter the setup and adjust the boot device from the HD (hard-disk) to the USB Device.

Crunchbang will then boot from the USB and once loaded you can install it directly from the USB onto the HD (hard-drive) using the Live Installer.

It presented myself with the option of installing it along side Windows 7 Home Premium but as I prefer *nix sadly windows home premium got eradicated. tongue

Hope that helps people out there that wanted to install it onto their Lappy but where unsure of how to go about it.

Behold the finished article, with a few tweaks to the UI it looks just like Windows 7, even your granny wont be able to tell the difference!

23lfh47.png

This should work on all laptops, Acer Aspire etc, check your boot-up options in the BIOS if it wont let you use a CD.

Happy Booting! big_smile

Last edited by Apex (2010-08-24 09:55:47)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-08-14 12:18:39

/dev/null/

Re: HOWTO Install CrunchBang onto the Dell Inspiron 11z

hi,

apologies in advance for necromancing such an old thread, but i am currently setting up #! on a dell 11z. first time ever with this particular distribution and loving it so far.

there is one problem though: the touchpad does not work; same for the two buttons. did you happen to run into similar problems? if so, do you have any pointers?

thanks in advance  smile

Board footer