SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-29 08:38:42

zopio
CLI Maestro
Website

Taking the Leap

Greetings, All!

I saw Crunchbang listed on Distrowatch a few days ago and checked it out because I like to keep up the Ubuntu derivatives.  I was pondering a leap into Fedora 10 just to inspect the utility of the new Plymouth boot schema, but the look/feel of Fedora, even with the latest Gnome, just doesn't feel like home to me.

I booted up a live CD of Crunchbang (I've been a Linux Mint user since 4.0 Daryna), and while I was thrown initially, found that it's absolutely perfect for my needs.  It took me a moment to comprehend the ramifications of setting gnome aside, but quickly found Openbox to be intuitive and easy to learn.  The keyboard shortcut-heavy philosophy of Crunchbang suits my style perfectly, as the white-on-black theme, reminiscent of my beloved command line.  I also found the list of applications to be terribly intuitive and useful.

On that note, a single comment -- it might be interesting to add a command line (CLI) menu to the application menu, featuring some great command line apps that users may not be aware of, such as...

Midnight Commander
Vim (which you've already featured)
Cmus (In my opinion the best console-based music player available, fast and written in C)
rtorrent

...and anything else that you might dream up.  Just a thought.

Also, I'm a developer and designer by trade, and would be interested in helping out on the project in some regard.  Please let me know if any assistance is desired.

Anyhow, backing up my Linux Mint system right now in preparation for a fresh Crunchbang 8.10.1 installation.  I'll share my thoughts and experiences once I'm up and running.  I look forward to interacting with all of you as we venture forward with this wonderful new Distro.  Thanks, corenominal.

Cheers.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2008-11-29 10:22:21

fabsh
#1 Linux Outlaw
Website

Re: Taking the Leap

Welcome to the fold! I recently moved to CrunchBang as well. Loving it! big_smile
I see you have our famous town celebrity as an avatar, nice taste. smile

BTW, you forgot irssi in that CLI app list. wink

#3 2008-11-29 10:30:02

zopio
CLI Maestro
Website

Hey fabsh, thanks for the kind welcome.  Definitely a Beethoven fan, even dressed up like him for Halloween.

I haven't used irssi before, but I guess that's why it might be a good idea to compile a list of best-of-breed CLI apps to put into the distro, to give CLI foreigners, or even experienced Linux users who want suggestions for apps they may not have tried yet, a distro-endorsed alternative to the GUI.  I personally do everything that I can on the command line, and think that if CB encouraged (or at least guided users) toward CLI alternatives, they'll benefit even more from their CB experience.

How do you feel about the whole CLI app list concept?

#4 2008-11-29 10:59:59

fabsh
#1 Linux Outlaw
Website

Another cool CLI app I just remembered I love is hellanzb -- if you have use for that kind of thing. wink

#5 2008-11-29 16:10:02

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Hi zopio smile Welcome to the forums and thank you for your introduction. I am pleased you are enjoying the distro. Also, your idea of adding a CLI menu is brilliant, it might be especially handy for the "lite" edition. Anyhow, I look forward to reading any feedback you may have once you are up and running. Good luck smile

#6 2008-11-29 22:36:50

zopio
CLI Maestro
Website

Thanks so much, corenominal.  Just installed CB last night and I've been setting up my past installation and playing around with it -- I'll post some feedback to the appropriate forum.

I'm VERY glad that you like the CLI idea -- it just occurred to me that there's this list of CLI apps that I juggle around in my mind for use, but don't really have a home, and this would be a great way to solidify #!'s list of endorsed apps.  I'll try to dream up some more apps to add and post them to the CLI App Tree thread.

Last edited by zopio (2008-11-29 22:41:03)

Board footer