SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-27 09:38:28

Damon

Installing Audacious 2.2 in !# 9.04

I wasn't able to find one particular post that actually got Audacious 2 to compile and install correctly on crunch forums or even ubuntu forums, so after a little googling I've managed to get it installed correctly in !#crunchbang using a few differnt pieces from a few different posts, figured I'd post it if anyone else would like the newer audacious on thier 9.04 !#crunchbang system.

Unfortunatly, I didn't keep track of the posts or authors that I snipped bits and pieces from, so I am unable to post thanks to them directly, but definetly thank them in-directly for the help getting this installed.

1. Make sure you have build-essential installed (default is installed on every crunchbang install I've done)
Open your favorite terminal program and type:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep audacious

This command will fetch and install all the development libraries needed by Audacious, including the build-essential meta package which depends on compilation tools.

You will also need to install the libxml++1.0-dev package:

$ sudo apt-get install libxml++1.0-dev

2. Download the source tarball

Get the source tarball from the Audacious official website (audacious-2.2.tgz at the time of writing this),
Latest tarballs can be gotten from here: http://audacious-media-player.org/
save it for example in your home directory and then uncompress it:

$ tar -xzf audacious-2.2.tgz

3. Compile and install Audacious
First, you can uninstall the current Audacious from repositories (if you have it installed):

$ sudo apt-get remove audacious
$ sudo apt-get autoremove

Then, issue the usual commands in the audacious-2.2 directory:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternately, you can specify another prefix for the installation, and install Audacious as normal user somewhere inside your home directory. For example:

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/USER/usr
$ make
$ make install

Replace USER with your username and make sure the path /home/USER/usr is included in your $PATH environment variable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, if you run Audacious (using audacious2), the following error may appear: audacious2: unable to launch selected interface skinned

So proceed to the next step and install the plugins.

4. Installing the Audacious plugins
This should be the same as the first part of the tutorial. First, get the development libraries:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep audacious-plugins

Next, download the source tarball called audacious-plugins-2.1.tgz from the same location, uncompress it with

$ tar -xzf audacious-plugins-2.2.tgz,

change the current working directory to audacious-plugins-2.1 and issue the usual:

*** I had issues with the original command ./configure an error regarding pulse to aviod this error just use

$ ./configure --disable-pulse

instead of the original method below (./configure)

$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

Run audacious as audacious2 (or type Alt+F2 and enter audacious2 in the run box).

You can use Winamp 2.X skins to change the audacious interface,  there's many places to find these just do a google search.

Last edited by Damon (2010-03-03 19:23:12)

Board footer