SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-11 21:42:06

dippedandfried
#! Member

Distro-hoppers Anonymous

If you can't tell by the title, this is the beginning of a distro-hopper's recovery group. One day at a time, easy does it.

My story:

When I first started with Linux about 18 months ago, I didn't realize the depth and breadth of the distros available. All I knew was that, in the Linux world, everything is all free all the time (not unlike a free bar at a big wedding), and after years in the Windoze World that fact hit me with a tsunami of exhiliration. I was hooked.

Anyway, I started out with eeebuntu 2.0, which was (at the time) perfect for my eeepc 701 and 900a. That was fine for a few months, but I upgraded to 3.0 and couldn't, absolutely couldn't, no how, no way get eee-control to work right. This was a deal-killer, so I moved on with my fingers itching for something new, something more, something different.

Pupeee was next. Never could get the wifi hooked up right. And those puppy faces all over the place started to drive me nuts. Then I tried Flux (but started having nightmares about that big black bug), then four or five others. Nothing could satisfy me. Finally, at the end of my rope, I just started madly collecting wallpaper from far and wide, hoping that would kill the craving. No relief.

And then I bumped into....Crunchbang! Everything I could possibly want! Without having to get deep into terminal lingo! Add here, snip there, what fun! Tweak conky into the ground, make my own menus, yee-hah! But as we all know, not all is well on this planet...

The old distro-hopping tractor-beam started working on me again and I found myself downloading and sampling only God knows what. Tinycore. Slitaz. A huge dose of straight Debian. A full ubuntu install, slowly rocking and rolling on my poor little eeepc, kind of like a huge pink tropical concoction in a huge glass bowl with a little umbrella in it. And all the while I was ignoring my tried and true #! What a poop I was!

What finally brought me back? Here's what brought me back: I downloaded Mint 8, fingers trembling, the anticipation of something new was eating me alive, and then I clicked the Mint menu button and had the fright of my life. I thought that menu was my old XP menu come back to finish me off! The terror was so great that I began to retch like a mangy street dog (you know how they get that rythmic hocking sound going). Gutterslob, you know what I'm talking about here! yikes

Anyway, I slipped, relapsed, hit bottom, and came back to #! with my tail between my legs. Whimpering like a pup. Sound familiar? This is the group for you!

How do I deal with distro-hopping today? One day at a time. I won't download today, even though I may download tomorrow. Also, I've got my autostart.sh rigged up with tint2, docker, lxpanel, and (yes, it's true) gnome-panel so I can switch it up depending on moods and the weather (I live in Minnesota US). It's all I need.

If you feel the urge to participate, please share any tips you have on squashing the distro-hopping demon! And Philip, all I can say is that I'd be distro'd to death by now if you hadn't come up with #! lol

eeepc 1005PEB dual-boot Win7/Crunchified Mint 10.04 LTS
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-12-11 23:34:20

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

My advice is to use VirtualBox and just enjoy distro-hopping. I think its good to try other distros: you learn new things and you either find a better distro or (in your case) you find reasons to stick with one.

#3 2009-12-11 23:52:48

omns
#! wanderer

^ +1  Virtualbox is your friend smile I mainly test Linux distros in a VM on a Mac, which is kind of weird. In any case it turns distro-hopping into an extension of your Linux knowledge base and this can only be a good thing in the long run.

#4 2009-12-12 00:39:24

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Now that I think about it, I haven't tried a new distro since I installed #! .... that's a good thing, right? neutral

Will be building (and possibly failing) a Minimal Debian (or maybe Arch) + Openbox combo during the Xmas break, though.

Point & Squirt

#5 2009-12-12 01:41:38

p0rksh3d
#! CrunchBanger

Ok, must admit.  I'm in a bad place right now... yes, I'm building funtoo.  optimized base system for intel core 2, openrc for init, and git based package management or source management should I say. what could possibly be better than all this.  I'll let you guys know how it goes and post a shot in December.  Will be using pekwm and bmpanel for my X-ish stuff, and make it very crunchbang like asthetically.

#6 2009-12-12 01:43:27

p0rksh3d
#! CrunchBanger

^ update I forgot to add I'm using #! 64 for my live cd to install funtoo.

#7 2009-12-12 01:49:42

gogi-goji
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I used to be a major distro hopper.  Then I found Crunchbang, and everything was all good for a while.  Then mentions of Arch Linux here and elsewhere piqued my interest, and I decided to give it a shot.  I've been with Arch for a while now, and am likely not going to change again.  But I still hang around here, since this is such a great community.  tongue

My blog

#8 2009-12-12 01:52:56

anonymous
The Mystery Member

gogi-goji wrote:

I've been with Arch for a while now, and am likely not going to change again.  But I still hang around here, since this is such a great community.  tongue

Haha same here big_smile

#9 2009-12-12 03:26:09

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

hi everybody,
my name's Digit, and i'm a recovering distro-hop-aholic.

*pauses for a round of "hi Digit" *

it's been over a year since i did any serious hopping, though i have downloaded a few ISOs, even ran a couple in virtualbox, but i'm doing pretty well since crunchbang came along and helped me settle. 

i've a stack and a half (aprox 120 distros), and probably about the same again unburned on my workstation.

i never really spent too much time with the connoisseurial stuff (arch, debian, gentoo, etc)... my thing was more to gorge myself on them like they were fast food.  i liked the tastes of the bizarre, unique, or exotic.  novelties like gOS, Slitaz, Slax, Granular, MCN Torronto Live, Pentoo, Sauver, and numerous others were what really fueled my habit.   you might say crunchbang is just yet another, but for the one major difference... it's eminently useable, and doesnt have any great gaping holes giving a sence of lack, causing me to crave more.   not a bit of it.  and so, i can finally lay my demon to rest.

not only that, but since using crunchbang, i feel i've been getting imbued with something greater.  i feel i've been learning the skills i need to immunise myself against the woes that have plagued all my previous favourite distros, that being, when the dev takes a path i dislike.  king phil can do what he likes, and i know, from the effect his work thus far has had on me, i'll be ok.  i'm competent enough now to make it how i like, and not be bothered by the direction the wind blows.

i still get that urge to cruise distro watch, and often download an ISO here or there... but i rarely install, and find it very unlikely anything could pull me away from crunchbang... and even if something does, i'm near sure to make it's interface much like how i have my crunchbang set up.

one day at a time.

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#10 2009-12-12 05:18:38

p0rksh3d
#! CrunchBanger

this thread is hilarious

#11 2009-12-12 05:37:16

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

p0rksh3d wrote:

this thread is hilarious

he's laughing at our pain!   tongue  ;D

edit.
decided to properly read the thread (not just original post), and saw:
"I'm in a bad place right now... yes, I'm building funtoo. "

LMAO.

ok... so i'm laughing with ya now.  big_smile

Last edited by Digit (2009-12-12 05:41:24)

~ think ~
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#12 2009-12-12 05:50:10

p0rksh3d
#! CrunchBanger

I'm not bashing AA, it helped my Dad overcome a real alcoholism.  It's funny how much their acronyms apply to us at DHA.

HALT = Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired: Fix these situations before you make any decisions.

Hungry: I can compile this source based distro while I go out for dinner with the fam.

Angry: Damnit another karmic bug!

Lonely: I'm so lonely from reclusing and configuring Arch.  Better switch to Chakra.

Tired: It's 3:00 AM and I'm up late working on a project. * thought * Let's cruise over to Distro watch and see what's goin on.  4:00 AM * thought * How much longer is the Debian CD set gonna take to finish downloading??

#13 2009-12-12 07:15:41

klanger
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:
gogi-goji wrote:

I've been with Arch for a while now, and am likely not going to change again.  But I still hang around here, since this is such a great community.  tongue

Haha same here big_smile

Yeap, me too.

Although I have changed my whole ecosphere to BSD (before that I've been on Arch for quite a while).

This community is simply great!

I think, at some point you stick to Arch, because it does take an effort to install it - not the basic OS, but all searching, tunning, and "fixing" to your need. So Arch could be called an antidotum for a DHS (distro-hopper-syndrome) big_smile

@p0rksh3d

This is true! smile Few weeks ago I've spend whole weekend, night and day trying to install FreeBSD on eeepc. It took so long, because I did the first install on a pen-drive (quite slow 8GB usb-stick) and started to install apps from ports - and it took ages to "make install clean" wink

Then after a successful install on a pen -drive I had to redo all that, in order to install new OS to eeepc sd drive - and there was another problem - no cd-rom  - so searching, tweaking, unsuccessful attempts etc.

Thank god, my girlfriend (life-partner) was out of town that weekend... wink

Last edited by klanger (2009-12-12 07:31:37)

#14 2009-12-12 19:33:00

dippedandfried
#! Member

Well, I sure feel better after unloading here yesterday, but was plagued by a nightmare last night about the "perfect" linux distro. Toward the end it took on a somewhat human form with a conky head, a spinning CD nose, and a horrendous laugh: "Bwaaahahahahaha!" Anyway, I woke up in a cold sweat this morning, fired up the eee 900a with the full intent of searching for the perfect distro, and came to my senses when #! appeared on the desktop. Time to get my old backside to a meeting.

And what a thrill it was to find evidence of activity in the DHA meeting room!

@anonymous and omns: I fully understand that your intentions are righteous and helpful (for those not tormented by diagnosable distrohopism), but for those of us with *the problem* a VM or liveCD is only one quick step away from a serious relapse. It's like buying a "lite" beer for a Bourbon-guzzling gutter dweller. You two gentlemen are obviously "social" distro-hoppers and not in need of this group.

@Gutterslob: Some folks can do cold-turkey completely unaware that they may have had a problem, but I just want to let you know that this group will be open 24/7 after the holidays in case you find that you may have a need. Just sayin'. -- I love your street persona, but I seriously hope you don't find yourself (say, very early on New Year's Day) waking up in a back alley on a pile of CDs with distro names scrawled on 'em. It could eventually lead to "Hey, buddy...can you spare a distro?" out on the cold, hard street.

@gogi-goji: Dude. Whatever turns your crank. Peace with Arch. Peace with #! It's all good. Easy does it.

@p0rks3d, Digit and Klanger: Keep coming to meetings. p0rks3d, it's gonna be OK. I can see that you're still a bit giggly at times, but it's gonna work out if you can stay away from that *download* button. Klanger and Digit, you guys are well on the way to recovery. I can see that you've dragged your noses through the distro wasteland long enough to smell real fear.

eeepc 1005PEB dual-boot Win7/Crunchified Mint 10.04 LTS
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

#15 2009-12-13 00:15:19

saneks
#! Die Hard

It all started with Easypeasy.. yes, kindergarten you say..  But this is how it always starts. Then I tried everything around the globe, even strange japanese stuff of which I didnt know what it was doing. Spent sleepless nights searching for help with my growing problems: crashes, black screen, sometimes everything felt like in slow-motion.. it was terrible. always looking for the perfect click.

but now since I get my daily dose of crunchbang, I feel more stable and productive again. I don't feel the craving for new isos so often. Although I have to confess that I put my nose into Slitaz a couple of weeks ago. but since it's so small and I use it only rarely, I think that's still ok.. I like it cause it feels so fast. And I promise I never installed, only consumed it from a CD..

Last edited by saneks (2009-12-13 00:26:30)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#16 2009-12-13 00:28:44

craigh
#! CrunchBanger

I started with Ubuntu about two years ago then used that ocassionally but with Windows as my main os. I then bought a eee pc with Xandros Linux which I used for a few months, then I installed Ubuntu-eee and then started hopping with vanilla Ubuntu, Mandriva, Puppy, Crunchbang and Arch. Then I bought a Dell Mini 10v which I installed Crunchbang on, then I switched to Ubuntu and have now finally settled on Arch. There are some other distros I have tried but i can't remember now.

Last edited by craigh (2009-12-13 00:29:05)

Running Crunchbang on eee pc 701 and Dell Mini 10v.

#17 2009-12-13 00:34:51

omns
#! wanderer

dippedandfried wrote:

@anonymous and omns: You two gentlemen are obviously "social" distro-hoppers and not in need of this group.

lol lol lol

#18 2009-12-13 07:19:31

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

p0rksh3d,  yep, i wouldnt bash em either.  got some friends who could use AA, and have just recently been to similar therapy groups to help with being mental.
H.A.L.T.    glad u brought that up... found it useful a couple posts later.

klanger, that reminds me... i was going to start a kind of "explain bsd to us" thread.  tried it once or twice, but couldnt aquire the taste, though i know it's got its own very admirable worthyness.

saneks, m-m-mMM.   japanese distros, bulgarian distros, russian distros, argintinian distros, brazillian distros... i know what you mean.  it's bizarre, but when you've got your distro hop ball rolling, you make all sorts of excuses in your mind.  "foreigners use english speaking distros without their native language supported, so i can do the same." and "i'll muddle through, might find how to use it and it might be the best distro ever, or at least give me some good ideas."   it just doesnt work like that though, and i know that now.
   when i saw you say japanese distros, i immediately thought "i wonder how momonga is doing these days" and without thinking immediately flinched to take myself there, and if it were not for HALT, i would have too.  i just know it would have been a bad move, since i would have gone to find momonga through distrowatch... that place is not the place to be when in need of a HALT check. 

hopping through a few distros is a good thing.   i reccomend it to anyone just setting out on their linux honeymoon.
i know we're having a bit of fun with this, but when surfing distros takes up more time than your work and recreation combined, it's become a problem.
"first step to solving a problem is acknowledging it's existence."
i've had other addictions in the past.  tobacco.  Dr Pepper.  Diablo2.   and there always has to come that point where, usually in moments of extreme excess, you realise, you have a problem.
visiting my smoking friends rather than my non smoking friends.   drinking 9 litres in 24 hours.   being unable to go out because you need to do more baal runs.   something usually needs to snap before you acknowledge it as a problem.   and here's the good news fellow DHA members...  that first step...  that first step takes you half way to solving the problem.    so since you're here... give yourselves a pat on the back, you've every right to feel good about yourselves.  you're half way already!

smile

all the best guys.

Last edited by Digit (2009-12-13 07:25:19)

~ think ~

#19 2009-12-13 08:23:05

mzsade
#! CrunchBanger

I came the Ubuntu route, and now i am torn between Mint8 and #!. On the one hand there is the convenience of Gnome from which i have yet to be weaned and the unfamiliar territory of OpenDesk, on the other, there are the performance benefits of Crunchbang and the need to stretch the lifespan of my aging hard drive. I am now dual booting with the two and will decide on one after the release of Crunchbang 9.10.

conky-1.jpg

...and you can't really get the feel of an OS in virtual-box, i mean the driver installation, the performance, etc.

Last edited by mzsade (2009-12-13 14:15:40)

#20 2009-12-13 14:00:25

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

dling dragonflybsd.
this is not a relapse.  honest.

~ think ~

#21 2009-12-13 18:51:51

Ronin
#! Member

I'm a recovering sex-addict, so I recognize my place in this distro-hopping recovery group: I am in denial.

I am not a distro-hopper. I could quit anytime I wanted to. I enjoy sampling other distros, and I feel I learn from them. At least I can see what different combinations of apps look like together. It's not an addiction, and it is not interfering with my normal life. What's that? Yeah, there was that time last week when I accidentally corrupted my entire HDD with an install of Slackware gone wrong, but that doesn't mean I'm having problems: I solved that by major reinstalling and configuring on the fly!

And just because I'm reading everything I can find on the Internet about source based distros doesn't indicate a problem: I haven't impulsively dropped everything, because I'm studying before I begin. Don't you see how much I've learned by all this?

So, of all my problems, I'm still in control of my distro sampling. That's all it is. I know no distro can solve all my problems just by changing to it.

Has anyone out there tried Debris? I've been kind of curious about Debris lately....

Freedom to choose is the most basic of all rights.

#22 2009-12-13 19:24:15

klanger
#! Die Hard

@Ronin

lol

well said!

#23 2009-12-13 20:56:55

benj1
Wiki Wizard

this seem fitting
cautionary.png

- - - - - - - - Wiki Pages - - - - - - -
#! install guide           *autostart programs, modify the menu & keybindings
configuring Conky       *installing scripts

#24 2009-12-13 22:35:00

spoovy
#! CrunchBanger

Haha i love that benj1, that is me (well apart from being able to compile kernel)!

I was a windoze-only point-click-scratch-head man until September this year.  Had no idea what linux was, what a partition was, what GUI stood for, or... you get the point.

Three months on I have a 12-partition set up on my notebook, with 3 or 4 regular distros and another 3 or 4 partitions on which I cycle anything that looks interesting.   I spend more time on distrowatch than facebook smile

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2009-12-14 05:41:23

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

spoovy , that is a very admirable conversion pace.   took me a couple years after leaving windoze to get to that kind of setup.

~ think ~

Board footer