SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-01 10:43:47

enseyn

Playing around with arch....

I installed Arch on another partition just to play around/learn/experiment. I got everything running great in a KDE environment (other then the KDM login that has been giving me hell), and I was going to start from scratch with openbox. I wondered if anyone had any tips for packages and such. I was looking to build a crunchbang like environment. KDE was easy, but I am sensing some issues with openbox+gtk and expecting a bit more work involved. On a side note, anyone know how to get restart/shut down on arch? From what i have learned it was a problem related to the lack of a login manager, but is there a way around that without logging in as root?

also, didn't know if this was more appropriate for the openbox or general chat section so i flipped a coin. sorry if the coin was wrong smile

lalalala.... POTATO! big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-12-01 12:12:12

omns
#! wanderer

Re: Playing around with arch....

I find these two pretty handy resources for openbox

http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox

Defualt Crunchbang package info can be obtained here

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/applications

smile

#3 2009-12-01 15:31:41

anonymous
The Mystery Member

For Arch+Openbox I use many of the same packages as CrunchBang. I initially install a few packages such as xorg, gksu, openbox, obconf, obmenu, a text editor, and file manager.

After installing and logging in, I install the rest.

For restart/shutdown, I modified the script included in CrunchBang:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import pygtk
pygtk.require('2.0')
import gtk
import os

class DoTheLogOut:

# Cancel/exit
    def delete_event(self, widget, event, data=None):
        gtk.main_quit()
        return False

# Logout
    def logout(self, widget):
        os.system("openbox --exit")

# Reboot
    def reboot(self, widget):
        os.system("sudo shutdown -r now && openbox --exit")

# Shutdown
    def shutdown(self, widget):
        os.system("sudo shutdown -h now && openbox --exit")

def __init__(self):
        # Create a new window
        self.window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
        self.window.set_title("Exit? Choose an option:")
        self.window.set_resizable(False)
        self.window.set_position(1)
        self.window.connect("delete_event", self.delete_event)
        self.window.set_border_width(20)

# Create a box to pack widgets into
        self.box1 = gtk.HBox(False, 0)
        self.window.add(self.box1)

# Create cancel button
        self.button1 = gtk.Button("Cancel")
        self.button1.set_border_width(10)
        self.button1.connect("clicked", self.delete_event, "Changed me mind :)")
        self.box1.pack_start(self.button1, True, True, 0)
        self.button1.show()

# Create logout button
        self.button2 = gtk.Button("Log out")
        self.button2.set_border_width(10)
        self.button2.connect("clicked", self.logout)
        self.box1.pack_start(self.button2, True, True, 0)
        self.button2.show()

# Create reboot button
        self.button3 = gtk.Button("Reboot")
        self.button3.set_border_width(10)
        self.button3.connect("clicked", self.reboot)
        self.box1.pack_start(self.button3, True, True, 0)
        self.button3.show()

# Create shutdown button
        self.button4 = gtk.Button("Shutdown")
        self.button4.set_border_width(10)
        self.button4.connect("clicked", self.shutdown)
        self.box1.pack_start(self.button4, True, True, 0)
        self.button4.show()

self.box1.show()
        self.window.show()

def main():
    gtk.main()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    gogogo = DoTheLogOut()
    main()

BTW you also need to edit your sudoers file so you can shutdown without password:

%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

#4 2009-12-01 18:12:44

klanger
#! Die Hard

enseyn wrote:

On a side note, anyone know how to get restart/shut down on arch? From what i have learned it was a problem related to the lack of a login manager, but is there a way around that without logging in as root?

sudo shutdown -h 0
sudo reboot

smile

CLi is very much "the Arch way"

#5 2009-12-02 04:58:02

enseyn

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Everyone on this forum is always a great help.

#6 2009-12-02 05:56:05

enseyn

Anonymous, your method sounds perfect for what I am looking for. Could anyone help with how i might go about building a script to automate the install of all the other packages I might want to install? My knowledge of such things is very limited, but I think having a script built would really simplify future instillations on other computers.

#7 2009-12-02 06:00:42

anonymous
The Mystery Member

This would be an overly simplistic script but:

#!/bin/bash
sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman -S xorg gksu openbox obconf obmenu leafpad pcmanfm

just add the packages you want.

#8 2009-12-02 06:16:15

enseyn

anonymous wrote:

#!/bin/bash
sudo pacman -Syu

That was about what I imagined. thank you so much again. You have make my life much easier so many times that it is getting rediculous smile

#9 2009-12-02 06:49:22

elvishandrew

enseyn wrote:
anonymous wrote:

#!/bin/bash
sudo pacman -Syu

That was about what I imagined. thank you so much again. You have make my life much easier so many times that it is getting rediculous smile

It would be an awsome idea to set up a script, similar to the crunch bang alternitave instilation script, that sets up arch exactly like crunch bang.

I am an eee pc user, and I know that the arch kernel already comes with the eee wireless drivers needed, so this would be pretty sweet for me.

I need my finals to be over so that I can put some real work into this.

Crunch and Arch ahh a beautiful marriage. (I hope they don't have ugly kids).

#10 2009-12-02 11:17:12

Keplerspeed
Website

Been playing with Arch running gnome for the last few days. I really do like Arch, the fact that you build only what you need so that it boots and runs fast. It's only what you want. The documentation is amazing, the only troubles I had is when I skipped sections of the guide, and then wondering why something wasnt doing what it should.

However, I missed two things. The deb repo (Arch repo and AUR is quite good all the same, but not as convenient for me), and ten minute installs. A nice Arch install takes me atleast a few hours, but I can get crunch working how I want in under half an hour.

Archbang? Sounds good to me. Rolling release is awesome too. If you have the time, a crunch like Arch install wouldn't be impossible. But I find it trivial after the first few times of spending hrs with Arch to get something exactly the same as I could with crunch in minutes.

But then again, with Arch you only have to do it once, and you are free from block release and from ubuntu.

Member of the Danger Mice Folding@Home Team

#11 2009-12-02 13:17:01

enseyn

The deb issue is something that I was expecting from leaving a debian based system, but i don't consider it much of a sacrifice. I am mostly doing this for just the learning experience. Ubuntu has always been comfortable for me. I could get around with no problems. Then I tried crunchbang. It was not as strait forward, but it almost forced learning on me. Not only was it faster, but i learned a LOT from it. I have really grown to love openbox and i have realized how much work and effort has gone into all of the ready made linux distros that are out now.  I was stuck with windows for years not even realizing that there were alternatives for the longest time. I hated fixing the same issues on my comp and other peoples time and time again. I learned a bit about linux, then thought I should just try it. I searched, found ubuntu was the most popular, so that was where I started. I think that was the best decision I could have made. Ubuntu has it's problem, and yes, it is slow compared to pretty much any other linux distro I've seen, but it is EASY. The install was painless, and everthing for me worked out of box. Ubuntu was working great and WAY faster and more stable then any windows machine, but something about it still bothered me. I tried Xubuntu to try to get the most out of my machine, but saw almost zero improvement. Then I found crunchbang. I know I am preaching to the choir, but this is really the holy grail of Ubuntu + resource efficiency. Anyways, Ubuntu made me find linux, and be comfortable with it. It was a good bridge point. It also made me want to learn more. Crunchbang was really where the learning began. I have been comfortable with crunchbang for awhile now and am now wanting to learn more. I can honestly say that moving from ubuntu to crunchbang has done just as much as movinf from windows to ubuntu for my drive to learn more, and taught me VERY much. I have the utmost respect for ceremonial and anyone who makes an effort to improve the community as a whole. Sorry for the long rant, but I am REALLY drunk. wink

#12 2009-12-02 14:09:54

klanger
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:
sudo pacman -Syu

not all apps are in pacman, some that you would like to have are in AUR, so you need do install yaourt and then run yaourt -S X and Y to install them

#13 2009-12-02 22:42:58

enseyn

haha, wow, Just read my post from last night/this morning. Sorry about the rant, no idea where it came from. Friends shouldn't let friends drink and post.

#14 2009-12-03 09:14:17

minimalist comrade
#! Member

Hi, i'd very much appriciate if someone can post a script that set up arch like crunchbang. Some people just don't have have much time to set up arch themselves like me, even tho they really wanna try arch.

#15 2009-12-03 09:39:10

klanger
#! Die Hard

minimalist comrade wrote:

Hi, i'd very much appriciate if someone can post a script that set up arch like crunchbang. Some people just don't have have much time to set up arch themselves like me, even tho they really wanna try arch.

Well, if you don't have time for Arch, you should not try it wink
Arch is a huge time-eater...

Or try chakra http://chakra-project.org/ - arch based kde "distro".

Last edited by klanger (2009-12-03 09:40:36)

#16 2009-12-03 11:06:41

minimalist comrade
#! Member

klanger wrote:

Well, if you don't have time for Arch, you should not try it wink
Arch is a huge time-eater...

i guess so. tho i really like the idea of rolling release. no more wait for a release. any alternative? sidux seems a bit unstable i heard.

i can't use unetbootin with chakra to try it out. i tried the alpha4, both dvd and minimal version. any idea why?

#17 2009-12-03 13:17:01

Keplerspeed
Website

Sidux and chakra are getting back into the heavy weights again... crunch is great because of openbox. If you like #! because of openbox your not going to be happy with a gnome or KDE setup, may as well use vanilla ubuntu.

#18 2009-12-03 14:03:14

snowpine
#!-a-roo

It would be easy to make a "script" to install the same packages as #!.

But you still need to "set up Arch" yourself. Not only is it "the Arch way" but you need to set up your video, audio, partitions, etc. yourself (since every computer is different).

If you are curious about trying Arch, set aside a full afternoon with no distractions and install it on a spare computer (or a different partition, virtual machine, etc.). There is no worthy shortcut IMHO.

If you're looking for "a lightweight rolling release distro that is easy to install" I would suggest AntiX (fluxbox/icewm) or sidux (xfce/fluxbox).

Last edited by snowpine (2009-12-03 14:06:20)

/hugged

#19 2009-12-03 18:34:43

minimalist comrade
#! Member

I just tried installing arch on a virtual machine using virtualbox.

It's nothing special. Then I hit the first stone. Search around and i can get it fixed. But it's a hint of time-eater.

Then I install chakra in virtualbox. It's utterly slow--> unsuable. It's 512MB and 1 CPU core of 2GHz. Even windows XP runs just fine in 256MB.

chakra minimal was a bit faster but still very slow.

I'll have a week off end of this year, will try to pull out arch. But still concern for a stable working environment.

Thanks for pointing out antix. But i read review it doesn't work well with some modern hardware. That's bad thing since my working laptop is rather new.

#20 2009-12-03 19:46:37

klanger
#! Die Hard

But still concern for a stable working environment.

I know it is a "small" off topic but for stability BSDs are nr. 1 wink

The best way to setup Arch is to make a new partition a side your normal working OS and just play with it, with no time pressure.

Also pacman -Syu (updating apps and your OS, kernel) sometimes is tricky.
It is a great OS, but  I would call it a "hobby" OS - because like all hobbies it eats your free time.

Remember to note down all your after install setup steps and save links to sites with help, so next time you will have a smoother path.

Also back up all config files before you make a change in them - this way, with a live-cd (or other distro on your PC) you can reverse all broken files!

mc file manager (in console) is very useful in that -> with one button (F5) you can save a file from left windows in right window (back up folder).

Last edited by klanger (2009-12-03 19:54:39)

#21 2009-12-03 20:45:00

tartan
#! Junkie

Remember to note down all your after install setup steps and save links to sites with help, so next time you will have a smoother path.

Not really. Year ago it was recommended to use hwd to set up X, now they use hal to detect input devices, now Xorg is moving out hal and there would be something else. And the same is with the rest of the packages.

I just install elinks and open archwiki on tty2 while following the instructions on tty1.

By the way there is a cool thing called powerpill which can save you some time during installation.

Anyway, !# is almost perfect, while arch is for kinda maniacs and it hogs your time.

#22 2009-12-04 01:47:45

Keplerspeed
Website

"thegreenblob" from ubuntu forums has written an arch/openbox script. You just install the base arch, then reboot and run the script, it does everything for you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329754

I have given it a try, it works great. It is hosted here: http://openboxarch.110mb.com/openboxarch.sh
and here: http://static.nathangrubb.org/openboxarch.sh

But after using it, I had a desktop much like crunchbang, only with ugly fonts. Especially on websites like xkcd. If I could fix the fonts I would use arch I think, new packages are great.

Last edited by Keplerspeed (2009-12-04 01:48:28)

#23 2009-12-04 02:04:19

anonymous
The Mystery Member

For the xkcd font problem, try uninstalling xorg-fonts-75dpi and xorg-fonts-100dpi. Also try messing around with your .fonts.conf file like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="pattern" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

#24 2009-12-04 03:04:16

Keplerspeed
Website

You fixed it! YAY! Removing xorg-fonts-75dpi and xorg-fonts-100dpi made it look pretty like #! thanks champ. Help yourself to my beer. Didnt even need to alter my .fonts.conf file.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2009-12-04 14:54:55

minimalist comrade
#! Member

Thanks for all the tips. Sure klanger, I'll follow your advice. I'm running the openboxarch script in virtualbox right now, ooh, it takes time...

edit: I'm also looking at sidux. No negative review/complaint found so far.

Last edited by minimalist comrade (2009-12-04 14:56:13)

Board footer