SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-25 09:09:47

gauntus

Use Dropbox to manage torrentslave/server

Last night I was trying to think of an easier way to manage my torrents on my home server when I came across a guide for a terminal-based setup on the Dropbox wiki. Basically there is a python script provided that creates 'fake' copies of the GUI libraries that Dropbox uses which allow you to run the client in a purely text-based environment. The guide is here: http://wiki.getdropbox.com/TipsAndTrick … nuxInstall

What this allows you to do is sync folders on your server and/or torrentslave with folders on one or more of your other machines. After setting it up I created a symlink in the Dropbox folder on the server to the directory that I have rtorrent watching. It synced up with my other machines and now I can just drop .torrent files in there effortlessly - no messing about with scp or ftp clients. By moving a few config files (e.g. .rtorrent.rc, .bashrc, etc.) from the home directory into the Dropbox folder and replacing them with symlinks, it also allows you to make configuration changes easily from another machine (Note that currently you cannot symlink TO the files in your home directory FROM the Dropbox folder, but only FROM symlinks in your home directory TO config files in the Dropbox folder. For some reason if you try the other way round, dropbox just writes to the symlinks as if they were regular files, and they don't sync properly)

Not sure if this is old news or not, but I thought it might interest some people here as an interesting way of managing bittorrent on a remote machine. It is not the most efficient method in terms of bandwidth, but it makes it very, very easy to add/remove torrents on a remote machine just by syncing local folders.

Last edited by gauntus (2009-08-25 09:14:57)

Board footer