SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 06:03:11

scottro
#! Member
Website

Why do you use #!Crunchbang

I'm not sure if this is a stupid idea or a good one. 
At any rate, after core's post, asking for feedback about the description, and various other posts in, for example, the introduction section, I thought it *might* be worthwhile. 

So....why did you try #!Crunchbang?  Why do you still use it?  I guess I'll go first.  smile

I'm a FreeBSD lover at heart, but my current job revolves around CentOS servers, so I came back to the Linux world.  I use Fedora as my main desktop, the logic being that fixing things that break on a desktop will help me when things don't go right with the servers. 

Fedora is almost broken by design--that's an exaggeration, but as it's more or less a test bed for RedHat, regardless of what the official line is, they tend to put things in that don't work properly.  In addition, they're heavily Gnome-centric, and many things will work out of the box in Gnome, but not with Fluxbox, Openbox or other lightweight window managers. 

As many friends, as well as a few of my users, run Ubuntu, I usually try to more or less keep up with it as well, running it on a laptop as a secondary O/S.  One thing I noticed was that when compared with Fedora, many things work much better.  I suspect that this is partially due to the different goals--Ubuntu's stated number one bug is that Windows is more popular.

Although something like ArchLinux will always be one of my favorites, I find that in my old age, I get impatient having to configure sound, wireless, etc., and grow to appreciate the distros where it just works.  It leaves me more time to do my work. 

So, Crunchbang interested me when I read about it.  Based on Ubuntu, which often just works, but without its bloat.  Although I prefer Flux to Open, I like Openbox too.  The Fluxbox-cum-Ubuntu based distros usually seem to be a bit behind whatever is current, which was one reason I never really settled on any of them. 

So, I tried Crunchbang.  After fixing my Openbox and panel to my liking, I changed my desktop to Fluxbox.  (I just wanted to make sure I could still configure Openbox.)  I've found that it gives me enough to do my work without getting in my way.  I've frequently, on these forums, referred to it as an ArchLinux for busy people, and the more I use it, the more I like that expression, misleading though it is.

So, even though I change the desktop and basically waste all of corenominal's hard work on getting sane defaults for panels, menus and the like, it's almost like doing a command line Ubuntu install, then customizing it afterwards--however, without the time and effort spent in doing so.  The basics have been done for me--sound, multimedia, X, plugins and the like.  It gives me access to the Ubuntu repos, which are far more complete than Fedora's--just as an example, Xbuffy an XBiff-ish program that can watch multiple mailboxes, is available.  It isn't in Fedora, and as it's a very old program, it's not even easy to build from source anymore.

So, #!Crunchbang gives me, with little effort, a nice base which doesn't complain if I customize it.  (Unlike both Ubuntu and Fedora, both of which seem to fight you if you decide to not use Gnome.)

That might even be a slogan if it was polished up a bit.  It gives you enough to let you do your work and doesn't give you so much that it gets in your way.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2008-12-24 11:54:11

omns
#! wanderer

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

scottro wrote:

Although something like ArchLinux will always be one of my favorites, I find that in my old age, I get impatient having to configure sound, wireless, etc., and grow to appreciate the distros where it just works.  It leaves me more time to do my work.

^amen smile

My long history with Linux has already been explained in my intro thread but a bit more detail never hurt. I came to crunchbang via an experiment with Linux Mint. When Intrepid was released I was impatient with waiting for the Linux Mint 6 release, so prior to the first release candidate I did a minimal Ubuntu install then built it up to a gnome install of my choosing. I then Minted it up with the latest Mint tools and packages. This was a nice system but then one day I was chatting with some firends in irc who were raving about CrunchBang. Checking it out I noticed that the beta release of 8.10.1 was out.

CrunchBang I thought would be an ideal base to get up and running and then add gnome and the Mint tools to. This experiment went very well and I spent a few weeks chopping and changing between gnome and openbox environments. I had the speed of Crunchbang when needed and the visual appeal of a Mintified gnome when I felt like it as well.

Anyway, it didn't take long until I found that I was hardly ever logging into gnome. Openbox it seemed, had me hook, line and sinker smile

The next step was to wipe all the gnome and Mint away and do a fresh install of Crunchbang. I've been a happy camper ever since smile I haven't known a distro to feel so complete and so productive. It's great in a work environment and wonderful to hack away at when there is time for play. It seems I have finally found my Linux home.

#3 2008-12-24 14:05:46

iggykoopa
Script Master

I have a feeling most of our stories will be similar, I was in iraq and needed to do a minimal install of ubuntu then load it up with openbox so I could have it on a thumbdrive to boot up on whatever machine I was using. I ended up looking around and found crunchbang, it was all the stuff I needed already set up for me. I've been coming back off and on to it since then, now it's on all my machines except my mythtv server. I've messed around with a lot of other distro's and this one just feels right. (hopefully wattos , the distro I'm helping with, will get to this point as well).

edit: the only other thing I could want is a 64 bit version so I can load it on the server, its got 6 gb of ram so 32 bit isn't an option. also I do a lot of encoding on it.

Last edited by iggykoopa (2008-12-24 14:06:52)

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#4 2008-12-24 14:26:09

Harlekijn

I have always been a windows user. It was never a question, because in my world - before internet use was as common as doing the dishes - I had never heard of Linux. I had heard about UNIX, via my dad's work, but that was an industrial OS, not a home-user OS. So, I was happy with my copy of XP and life was great! Until a certain moment I can't recall - momentary lapse of reason, I'm sure - I encountered that rebellious L. Torvalds and his 'open-source-OS'. Must have been 2000-something. It was too late to check the 'open-sores' for contagiousness because the virus was in my system...I just didn't know it yet...
Starting off as an experiment because Linux was very appealing to me; different, a bit rebellious maybe....I bought Suse linux 7 tongue and off I went! But it just could not get me away from XP, due to the lack off photographical qualities in the software provided. Which is still an issue...

Via Redhat 5, OPENSUSE 9, Ubuntu 7-something, Pardus, Linux Mint 5, and later the Fluxbox community edition of Mint 5, I was still not feeling at home with my system, but I liked the minimalistic feel of the *box distros. So I went for a stroll through distroland, and came across #!.

Never had a Linuxdistro as my first choice - always had XP for that - and it feels good! I am able to do about 95% of the things I need to do. The only drawback is working with RAW photographical material, for which I still 'prefer' XP. If this issue will be tackled in the next year(s), Bill will never see me again...;)

The Forks! Use the Forks!

#5 2008-12-24 14:51:41

anonymous
The Mystery Member

I havent yet installed CrunchBang, but I like it because it combines ease-of-use with lightweightness.

I like my OS slim and fast, but I also dont want to go to the extreme of LFS or Arch smile

#6 2008-12-25 09:00:48

semko
#! Member

Doing things in a fast, simple and productive way was always important in my life. I have older hardware and after trying various distros, #! was the only that worked (almost) perfectly. #! gave me all I need, and much more.
I love it.

Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
registered linux user #470990 - Which OS Are You?

#7 2008-12-25 12:22:00

Hanna
Conky Queen

I had been using Ubuntu few years. Sometime ago I started using Openbox and in this point having whole gnome etc... felt useless. There was lot of stuff I liked but again a lot of stuff I never even used. Few weeks I used Xubuntu but then I noticed that #!8.10.01 was released and thought I could give it a try. (I tried the 8.04 but it had weird problem with repostories, don't remember the details). #! 8.10.01 worked like dream. smile

So there is three main reasons.
1. I can easily install it (I would love to install Arch, but I have to admit, I can't get it work *very embarrassed*)
2. Openbox
3. it's not bloated compared to some other distros¨

(I hate this mini laptop that my dad bought for himdelf as chirstmas present, I have small fingers and this keyboard kills me snyway"!!!!)

HANNA (without "h" in the end) likes green and #! smile
Also know as ultraturquoise online / #! last.fm / #! DeviantART / U

#8 2008-12-25 16:03:25

marf

Primary Reason: Boot Up Time (~20 sec)
Secondary Reason: Ubuntu based (well developed and supported Repos and packages)

#9 2008-12-25 16:37:52

nipeng
#! Member

Why Crunchbang:

~ Based on Ubuntu so I have the Ubuntu repositories behind me
~ Based on Ubuntu, easy to setup
~ Openbox as Window Manager
~ Good choice of default apps
~ Not bloated

---
I don't like peanuts.

#10 2008-12-25 16:53:38

NWAdawg
Bob Da Dawg!
Website

Why I like CrunchBang
Being fairly new to linux
It was easy to install and setup. Its based off Ubuntu, ease of repositories.
As for being new to openbox I like the challenge editing menu's and panels.

All in all, I'm having the most fun using CrunchBang over any other distro I've tried in the past.

-Bob- 
Ubuntu User #24005, Linux User #480025
identi.ca  friendfeed  facebook

#11 2008-12-27 10:27:56

alcy

Well, its one of those distributions that stump you on their first run.

1. Thunar (root mode)

Example: When I was using Ubuntu, to copy stuff from USB drives , I had to resort to the terminal and then the sudo business for simply copying some music. Not cool.

Having an option for running Thunar in root mode by default is a good idea for users who know their way around and don't like being bugged to  use sudo on the terminal frequently.

2. The Interface

Openbox, conky, compositing, integration with XFCE and easy configuration of these. Very cool.

3. The repositories !

Life savers.

4. Lightweight enough for doing some recording/editing work without glitches using Audacity.

5. Nice selection of default apps installed (except Totem tongue )

6. Well, this one's not #! specific, but, success with compilation of the 2.6.27.10 kernel (to cut more bloat). Guess #! is lucky for me. wink

#12 2008-12-27 23:30:03

seth
#! CrunchBanger

alcy wrote:

Well, its one of those distributions that stump you on their first run.

1. Thunar (root mode)

Example: When I was using Ubuntu, to copy stuff from USB drives , I had to resort to the terminal and then the sudo business for simply copying some music. Not cool.

Having an option for running Thunar in root mode by default is a good idea for users who know their way around and don't like being bugged to  use sudo on the terminal frequently.

gksudo nautilus
or
sudo nautilus

#13 2008-12-28 04:08:46

alcy

^^There's a reason why I  highlighted "by default".
And sudo nautilus doesn't work well. That also gave me those access/permission denied problems.

Last edited by alcy (2008-12-28 04:09:22)

#14 2008-12-28 11:06:56

omns
#! wanderer

You should be using gksudo or gksu instead of sudo to launch any gui app and there's no need to launch it in a  terminal.

alt-f2
gksu thunar (or nautilus or whatever you want to run)

or, as you've mentioned, use the menu

#15 2008-12-30 16:23:19

moriancumer_12

I don't know if I can fully explain why I like #!.

Being based on Ubuntu and being light on resources is definitely a plus, but other distros offer this as well.

All I can say is it just feels right.

#16 2008-12-30 16:40:25

bobobex
The Better Half

The title asks "Why do you use #! CrunchBang?"

In this house, with Philip around, you're not allowed to use anything else! big_smile  He's dying to take Windows off of our daughter's laptop but I keep telling him she needs it to be compatible for her school work. 

Seriously though, I use Windows at work and it makes a nice change to come home and use a faster, more responsive distro. smile

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

#17 2008-12-30 16:40:42

snowpine
#!-a-roo

seth wrote:

gksudo nautilus
or
sudo nautilus

I recommend:

gksu nautilus --no-desktop

Otherwise, nautilus will try to take over your desktop!
Better yet, use thunar or pcmanfm...

/hugged

#18 2009-01-03 08:44:54

ZeroTruths
#! Junkie

I'll be honest.
When I found out that #! used OpenBox for it's WM, and later on found out that OpenBox supported margins (for a permanently visible Conky big_smile), I decided to give it a try.
I fell so in love with #!, that I've decided to start the slow process of switching from Ubuntu to #!.

#!CrunchBang has the right balance of customability to cleanliness for me.

All in an effort to learn...
Delves deeper into code...

#19 2009-01-03 09:14:58

ghoti
#! Member

Main reasons are:

1) Openbox with elements of LXDE (my favourite desktop environment),
2) Everything worked out-of-the-box on my laptop without any fuss,
3) Reasonably low on resources (compared to Ubu),
4) Most of the applications I need are either already installed or readily available from the Ubu repos,
5) Lastly, but not least, friendliness of the forums.

Ghoti cool

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Thomas A. Edison

#20 2009-01-09 23:32:50

marc

hi, most of my reasons to use #! have already been mentioned here. basically :

1. ubuntu repository base. i do not use freaky packages, but i am used to them
2. no bloat, compared to kubuntu (i used to prefer kde to gnome), or even xubuntu
3. things work out of the box, no need to use secret repos or other gnu-puritan inconveniences

lately i have mostly been using kubuntu (last 3-4 years), before i used kde on debian, but was looking for some lightweight alternatives, which led me to zenwalk (pity it was not ubuntu based), easys (featuring a lightweight KDE, it was very nice, konqueror it's quite cool), DSL, hikarunix and finally fluxbuntu (fluxbuntu was promising, hopefully they can merge efforts with #!). before i had used also suse 8 & 9 (it was great), mepis (made big steps towards usability), knoppix (v3 marked the most important milestone in linux), debian 2.2, redhat 5 & 6 ... . i have tried many other distros, and now i am quite happy with #!, i am trying it together with mint 6 (i am surprised a default mint installation uses less disk than #!, but this is not a big issue).

so i want to thank corenominal and the people involved in work here. is there a tracker or a list of jobs to be done?

Last edited by marc (2009-01-11 21:54:09)

#21 2009-01-10 00:09:41

DUDE
#! Member

My story starts one rainy day, It must have been around fall last year.
I had just got my new laptop, with a tiny 12" screen so I was looking for a tiny tiny distro. (But still not to small tongue)
I started with LFS, but after installing gcc like 8 times and then breaking my hard drive, actually had to send my laptop away to get a new one tongue
I started googling for a dist with openbox by default and came across #!, it must have been like the first release!
But it was so awesome I could not keep my fingers of it! And not only is it nice looking it works!

Can still remember my girlfriends chock "Why dont you have any icons, where are your icons! Help help!" As she was trying to find firefox tongue

Wrapped in just a blanket I was sent here from far far away to protect the people of this world! *NOT*
Last.fm

#22 2009-01-10 00:28:16

kBang
#! Die Hard

Best reason ---my--system----> P3 866mhz 512mb, 128mb ATI 9200 (I am one frugal bastard)

I could use Windows 98 or XP, but after a few days past initial installs they tend to fall apart, mainly due to having to install apps to deal with spyware/virii in order to just be able to browse the web "safely".

I could also run Puppy or DSL Linux distros, but I do not particularly care for the tiddlywinks feel I get from them.  I also once tried to build something similar to !# from a base net install of Ubuntu and the work required wasn't worth it, I was still gluing it together when I decided I was better served with !#.  I am a Linux newbie so doing everything on my own isn't a good idea, sorta like running with scissors in my case.

Ubuntu and other distros of that ilk tend to begin to bog my system down after some time, due to it's antiquated nature.

Besides all that, even though !# has a small community it is a very enjoyable community.

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#23 2009-01-10 00:29:18

swj
Eagle Eyes

- Speed

- Openbox

- Black and White

#24 2009-01-13 21:42:11

scr3wgr4vity

1. Because it fits my standards of beauty through simplicity.

2. Its so minimalistic and yet so jam packed with potential.

3. This community is small (i like it) and crazy helpful with quick responses.

4. I actually feel part of a family by just using this OS.

5. I got windows 7 beta before i tried the live disk of #! then completely uninstalled 7 to give full room to #!.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2009-01-13 22:53:14

kollektivist

I started to use linux ubuntu about one and a half year ago frequently. And as I used it I got more and more into trying out new programs, window managers, distros and so on.

So after a while I tried Linux Mint which was practically the same thing as Ubuntu. So, instead I changed the things that made the difference, I changed window manager to openbox, where I got stuck. When a new ubuntu came I didn't want to install _all_ gnome and then uninstall gnome, so I found crunchbang which was perfect. It got the programs I wanted, and I got into using the terminal.

Now I am out of crunchbang and into wmii instead of openbox, which doesn't make crunchbang perfect, but I still use crunchbang (lite) in my installing so that I can get away from gnome at once. And now the crunchbang community have grown from a couple of people to a great community with irc and all. That's great. smile

Also, as some people said above, it's really nice colors and themes in everything with crunchbang, especially the forum. smile

Board footer