SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-12 08:47:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sub-alpha BunsenLabs netinstall script

EDIT 150813 Now there is a BunsenLabs Debian repository with built BunsenLabs packages: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993
It is no longer necessary for the netinstall script to build packages from the GitHub source, and it has been amended to use the new Debian Repository instead. cool

WARNING: this doesn't mean BunsenLabs has been "released", even as an alpha or beta! This is just a testing tool to build a system out of whatever in currently on the GitHub repos to see how things are going, fix bugs and start the fine tuning.

This: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall is a script that starts from a minimal Debian netinstall cli setup, installs a long list of Debian packages, downloads the GitHub repos, builds them into .deb files (using twoion's git2deb script), puts them into a local repository, installs them from there adds the BunsenLabs repositories, installs the BL packages from there and finally does a little system tweaking.

Eventually all the tweaking will be done by the packages themselves, and if in the future BL .deb packages are built and hosted on a debian-style repository it might be possible to install BL just with apt-get bunsen-metapackage...

Meanwhile, here's a way to see where things are. Don't use this for a proper working system as there will be next to no support for your problems, but bug reports are most welcome. If it's a small issue you could post it here, but bigger problems should probably go in their own threads. Have a look in the "Development" section here to see if there's already a related thread.

A lot of people have put a lot of energy into that content, and I think it's starting to look OK...

cool

EDIT: Of course I forgot to put in @hhh's excellent step-by-step guide.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-10-25 07:12:03)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-05-12 12:33:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Sub-alpha BunsenLabs netinstall script

Forgot to add - there's also a script called upgrade-bunsen-pkgs in the same bundle (it gets copied into ~/.bunsen-netinstall-logs/) which can be used to upgrade the bunsen packages you have installed, or to add a new repository. Don't use it to add any of the old outdated ones though. (Check the READMEs.)

EDIT If you upgrade bunsen-configs you can get the new config files in your home directory by removing ~/.config/bunsen/bl-setup and rebooting. The place will gradually fill up with backup files but of course this won't be happening too much in a production situation.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-05-17 08:12:11)

John
--------------------

#3 2015-05-12 13:29:14

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

This I have been waiting for ... the noob in me was missing bits and pieces.
Will grab fresh net install today.

Thank you for this.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#4 2015-05-12 14:03:40

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

The install worked fantastically.  No Guest Additions happiness for us VM guys, but that's to be expected.  Install of GA has gotten so simple now that I wouldn't suggest fattening up the install process for it but maybe offer the option in the less-run options of the post install script?

#5 2015-05-12 16:46:46

hhh
Cityspeak

schwim wrote:

The install worked fantastically.

johnraff's warnings are overstated. This script installs the best Debian Openbox environment available.

@johnraff, update-bunsen-packages should be in the root menu by default.

A preview of Bunsen-themes-extra, coming to you this summer...

B3Bdnw1m.png
WM: Openbox; Panel: xfce4-panel.

bunsenlabs     glasses     forum mod squad

#6 2015-05-12 17:18:45

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

hhh wrote:

A preview of Bunsen-themes-extra, coming to you this summer...

If we're nice, will you work harder? kiss It looks really nice!

EDIT: Almost forgot, major kudos to all involved for getting this far!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#7 2015-05-13 02:05:13

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

@johnraff, update-bunsen-packages should be in the root menu by default.

I thought about that, but this is really only a temporary thing. There will be much cleaner ways of getting BL eventually.

When the speed of development has slowed down, we could build some regular .deb files and put them on GitHub, or somewhere else. It would still be necessary to check for upgrades with a script, but a simpler one. The install script would be much simpler too.

When we have a regular Debian repository with the .debs in it, then 'sudo apt-get upgrade' will be enough. cool

John
--------------------

#8 2015-05-13 02:12:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

schwim wrote:

No Guest Additions happiness for us VM guys, but that's to be expected.  Install of GA has gotten so simple now that I wouldn't suggest fattening up the install process for it but maybe offer the option in the less-run options of the post install script?

Hmm... I'm getting VirtualBox (that's what you're referring to? or VMware?) from its own repo - found that the smoothest way - and the guest additions come from a virtual disk you put in the virtual drive, cd there and (as root) run 'sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run'. Have to install dkms and the kernel headers first, but it's fairly simple, no? Maybe VB has a CLI backend that could be scripted...

Are you perhaps using the Debian packages instead?

John
--------------------

#9 2015-05-13 05:31:50

smacz
#! Junkie

Install script ran error-free in my VM on Waldorf. Thanks @johnraff and BL dev team.

#10 2015-05-14 01:28:53

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

BunsenLabs installed and running on my hp laptop. A few minor things I have noticed:

1. I ended up aborting the first run of the install script. I walked away from the machine and came back to a black screen. It looked like a backlight thing which was odd given that I was still in console.

2. For ATI cards, especially those on laptops, the following will be needed or the user will very likely boot into a black screen:

sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service

I usually just let the vendor provided service file run and never have black screen issues on ATI machines. For ATI cards, two end up being installed and they conflict, the vendor provided one and the default which I show I masked above.

3. Volti icon is not coming up, even with sudo alsactl init. It ended up choosing the HDMI output, so likely I will have too configure it manually.

I haven't tested everything. This is a very initial run but I have to give everyone involved props, especially @johnraff.

A scrot of it running

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-05-14 01:29:35)

#11 2015-05-14 06:11:16

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

tknomanzr wrote:

2. For ATI cards, especially those on laptops, the following will be needed or the user will very likely boot into a black screen:

sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service

I usually just let the vendor provided service file run and never have black screen issues on ATI machines. For ATI cards, two end up being installed and they conflict, the vendor provided one and the default which I show I masked above.

The .service you have `mask`ed just acts to load/save the content of the /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness file:

systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service                                       loaded active exited    Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:intel_backlight

(For my Intel card, but you get the idea)

To stop your system creating the acpi_video0 folder, use this kernel parameter:

video.use_native_backlight=1

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ne_options
wink

FWIW my AMD laptop has no difficulties with the backlight under jessie...

#12 2015-05-14 07:21:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@tknomanzr, about #3, sometimes there seems to be a thing with xfce4-mixer setting the wrong sound card as "active" - I had the same issue on Waldorf where it got set to the HDMI card, not the analog card I wanted.

I eventually solved it by installing xfce4-settings and running xfce4-settings-editor but that was very much overkill - you can just edit ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-mixer.xml and look for a line like

<property name="active-card" type="string" value="PlaybackHighDefinitionAudioControllerDigitalStereoHDMIPulseAudioMixer"/>

and (in my case) replace the long string with "PlaybackBuiltinAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer". I ended up using xfce4-settings-editor because the xml edit didn't seem to "stick" but it probably just needed a logout or something...

John
--------------------

#13 2015-05-14 17:19:52

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:

When we have a regular Debian repository with the .debs in it, then 'sudo apt-get upgrade' will be enough. cool

Won't that be sweet!

Unia wrote:

If we're nice, will you work harder? kiss It looks really nice!

Flattery will get you everywhere!  smile

bunsenlabs     glasses     forum mod squad

#14 2015-05-15 01:08:24

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

@tknomanzr, about #3, sometimes there seems to be a thing with xfce4-mixer setting the wrong sound card as "active" - I had the same issue on Waldorf where it got set to the HDMI card, not the analog card I wanted.

I eventually solved it by installing xfce4-settings and running xfce4-settings-editor but that was very much overkill - you can just edit ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-mixer.xml and look for a line like

<property name="active-card" type="string" value="PlaybackHighDefinitionAudioControllerDigitalStereoHDMIPulseAudioMixer"/>

and (in my case) replace the long string with "PlaybackBuiltinAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer". I ended up using xfce4-settings-editor because the xml edit didn't seem to "stick" but it probably just needed a logout or something...

I ended up editing ~/.config/volti/config and replacing card_index=0 to card_index=1
For reference, alsamixer is installed, so I ran alsamixer from terminal, then F6 will show the list of available adapters. In my case, HD-Audio Generic was listed as card one, so on changing it in volti's config, everything worked.

#15 2015-05-15 06:46:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^good, good. Come to think of it, that xfce4-mixer thing might have been about getting xfce4-volume-daemon to work, rather than the volume icon.  ops

John
--------------------

#16 2015-05-15 07:20:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Forgot to mention, if running

upgrade-bunsen-pkgs -u

brings in an upgrade of bunsen-configs, then to get the latest user config files in your $HOME, delete ~/.config/bunsen/bl-setup and reboot. Dated backup copies will be made of overwritten files - even if they haven't changed!  big_smile

Last edited by johnraff (2015-05-16 05:40:42)

John
--------------------

#17 2015-05-15 12:48:19

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Just a quick correction:

upgrade-bunsen-pkgs -u

#18 2015-05-16 05:38:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^thank you! (now corrected)

John
--------------------

#19 2015-05-17 08:37:35

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:

johnraff's warnings are overstated. This script installs the best Debian Openbox environment available.

Better than CrunchBang?  yikes   Nice screenshot by the way.

I'm holding off until at least a beta is ready.  Everything is working fairly well on both of my machines and it has taken me some time to get to this point.  I don't want to muck anything up and not have a usable machine.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#20 2015-05-17 08:42:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^That's very sensible. I won't be using BL on my main machine for a while yet...

(Yes, possibly slightly better than #! in one or two small areas.  angel  )

John
--------------------

#21 2015-05-17 17:17:35

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I'm following suit and staying with #! Wheezy - as I'm calling my -old- Waldorf tracking Wheezy, until the day comes that there is a proper ISO of Bunsen to install.  big_smile
Only one computer for two people - don't want to mess it up.  Have never had good luck with VM's

/dev/sda1  - / - #! Wheezy - mounts /media/5 & media/10
/dev/sda2  - /home - #! Wheezy
/dev/sda3  - swap
	/dev/sda4  - extended partition
/dev/sda5  - /media/5 - all my stuff - my personal home
/dev/sda6  - / - Wally-jr - mounts /media/5 & media/10
/dev/sda7  - /home - Wally-jr - mounts /media/5 & media/10
/dev/sda8  - / - BunsenLabs pre-Alpha - mounts /media/5 & media/10
/dev/sda9  - /home - BunsenLabs pre-Alpha
/dev/sda10 - /media/10 - another personal data area

Have to log in to Wally or Bunsen at least once a day to see if there are updates, then the other if there are.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#22 2015-05-17 18:22:45

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

First of all, congratulations to dev team/people ... I can confirm that install (in VM) went smoothly, and it is very nice looking indeed.

Dev team: you did an excellent work. Keep it up! Although I don't think I will use BunsenLabs on my production machine, I will certainly test it whenever I can. (So far VM, only.)

Sector11 wrote:

Have never had good luck with VM's

What seemed to be the problem(s)? I mean, I run a few VMs regularly, and several for testing purposes, and mostly have been very happy with it. Being experienced(?), maybe I can help you with that?

Last edited by iMBeCil (2015-05-17 18:48:16)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#23 2015-05-17 18:38:52

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

@johnraff & the rest of the team -- congratulations and thank you for such a superb script and system.

The script was epic, it reminded me of my Amiga days and the old h4x0r demo disks (in a really good way) smile

The system is sublime, very well done to all involved.

#24 2015-05-18 02:01:30

pingu
#! Junkie

I installed with debootstrap but couldnt run the script from chroot even though I was chrooting as the user, and running the script from the user directory. ??? weird, so I'm rebooting.

dex@r2d2:/home/dex/bunsen-netinstall-master$ ./install 
######## ERROR ########
    This script should be run by a normal user, not root
------------------------------------------------
now exiting...
dex@r2d2:/home/dex/bunsen-netinstall-master$ 

(edit: I bet Chuck Norris runs as root)

Last edited by pingu (2015-05-18 02:10:35)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-05-18 02:20:53

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:

I'm following suit and staying with #! Wheezy - as I'm calling my -old- Waldorf tracking Wheezy, until the day comes that there is a proper ISO of Bunsen to install.  big_smile

On my end:

ASUS AIO ET2322:  Dual booting CrunchBang 11 and antiX 13-2 (tracking Debian Testing)

ASUS Zenbook UX303LA:  Dual booting Wally and Debian Unstable (installed also using the Wally cheat sheet).

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Board footer