SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-12 23:55:12

bunnybooboo

Crunchgang Waldorf Imac 5,1 Intel Core2 Duo (OSX 10.6 SL) via USB

Days I've been at this. So close. The DVD drive is patchy and I love crunchbang on my netbook so would love it on my Mac as a backup if needed.

None of the methods seem to work for me and this particular machine. I've think I've exhausted most major listed methods anyway. In particular the dd method makes a great USB for linux an windows machines but causes a grey screen on my imac.

dd bs=4M if=/home/username/downloads/crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb && sync

The EFI on the iMac can find the usb drive when I add the efi file as directed in this post
http://studyblast.wordpress.com/2011/08 … -firmware/

BUT this is for OSX 10.7 and won't work if I strip the files out of the Mac-Linux-USB-Loader app which also contains the 32 and 64 bit efi files on 10.6.

I have however found a method on Puppy Linux that, well looked almost crazy enough for me to try.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto … 7bb872be94
the 3rd October 2013 post.. can't find to link it direct sad

Essentially they copy the 3 INSTALL files from the ISO into the 2nd EXT2 partition.
grub-install to each partition (I can't do it the EXT2 partition)
and refind to the first FAT16 partition

For the first time grub seems to get further. The iMac recognises the usb drive with TUX (hello Tux my man!).

SO I'm hoping I can work out a way to get grub on that 2nd partition and I might get the last step. Putting this here just in case someone knows how but also to help other users. The iMac model is from late 2006 and is ripe for the low end loveliness from crunchbang so I thought to save some other from having to lose so may days from their life searching - but at least identifying what I have done to get it to very nearly work. I love to try at least.

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-13 07:34:25)

@sw1ayfe

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-04-13 00:16:23

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Re: Crunchgang Waldorf Imac 5,1 Intel Core2 Duo (OSX 10.6 SL) via USB

Sorry I can't help you directly, but why don't you just wipe OS/X & install GNU/Linux to the whole drive...
Otherwise, the Arch wiki has some stuff on mac dual-booting that may be of some help wink

#3 2014-04-13 07:53:12

bunnybooboo

Thanks for that idea. After going through most of the methods they mention there I have already tried most of them. They will work for more recent aluminium imacs but by 5,1 imac is the one of the first intel ones in plastic.

2006, processors: 1 (2 Cores), architecture: 64 bit, processor Speed:    2.16 GHz,    processor type:    Core 2 Duo (T7400), bus speed: 667 MHz, cache bus speed: 2.16 GHz, ROM/firmware type: EFI, EFI architecture: 32-Bit [OH now that EFI architecture difference IS interesting] RAM type:    PC2-5300 DDR2 [4Gb installed], mininimum RAM Speed:    667 MHz

For now the only issue is grabbing the install from the usb and most methods seem to just opt for the dd method when using linux. I have OSX running on the Mac so have even tried creating the usb on there in case of some cross platform drive creation issue.

Most of the tips (from EFI onwards) occur after installing from CD which is not possible for me.

Looking at that those stats I can see that I need a 32 Bit EFI for boot but the architecture can handle 64 Bit. I hope I can install via the usb using one of the 32 efi files from refind and the 64 bit crunchbang iso.

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-13 08:26:20)

@sw1ayfe

#4 2014-04-13 08:12:30

bunnybooboo

Actually since trying that USB created using the method above and attempting to reboot into OSX the mac no longer finds OSX. So a total install of crunchbang coming up.

IF I can get it to load the USB install. So back to my initial question: Is it possible to install GRUB onto both partitions of the USB as described using the Puppy Linux method in the OP ?

@sw1ayfe

#5 2014-04-13 09:14:10

bunnybooboo

Using the Puppy Linux method mentioned above I copy from the Crunchbang ISO:
initrd.gz, vmlinuz [both located in the INSTALL folder], and filesystem.squashfs [located in the LIVE folder]

Booting holding down the opt/alt key identifies the drive, allows me to select it, opens refind then when selecting the linux option I get the following errors:

Error: Not Found returned from legacy loader
Error: Not Found from LocateDevicePath
Error: Load Error while (re)opening our installation volume

The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume. Note that external hard drives are not well supported by Apple's firmware for legacy OS booting.

* Hit any key to continue *

Hitting any key just hangs. Rebooting the mac has it hanging at the splash screen again.

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-13 09:15:58)

@sw1ayfe

#6 2014-04-13 09:16:23

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Sorry if I caused you to brick your iMac; I feel bad now sad
I wish I could help you, but I know nothing about mac's --- I have an aversion to them since having had a chance to compare an original apple mac with a Sun SPARCStation in the 1980's (guess which came off worse)...
EDIT: just found this link; hope it helps you wink

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-04-13 09:23:44)

#7 2014-04-13 10:39:08

bunnybooboo

Seriously it's cool. It has sat gathering dust for nearly a year so I am not at all bothered about what I lose off it.  Just I dropped my netbook the other week and have bits taped down on it now. I'm building a startup so all this hard work centred around the netbook had me thinking I need to have a more robust system of working backups in case anything were to happen. It's a reconditioned Samsung NC10 plus and has been flying under crunchbang. I've been thinking about how fast this mac might turn out comparatively.

I've given up trying to find the install discs for OSX but thankful for the day away from the London Marathon crowds.

Thanks for that new link. Now THAT is the business I think. I'd even partially been looking into compiling my own refind from the source files before my brain starts to melt. That link looks amazing in fact and plots my journey really well. Right, reading time. More coffee!

EDIT: oh I also found this regarding the error in refind from earlier. Seems the firmware might be causing some issues.
http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c4s1_notfound.html

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-13 10:41:28)

@sw1ayfe

#8 2014-04-13 11:34:09

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

bunnybooboo wrote:

I've been thinking about how fast this mac might turn out comparatively.

Your mac should absolutely fly under #! ---OS/X is made more bloated with every new edition, in the hope you get frustrated with the slowdown & buy a new mac...
Good luck with the installation fellow Londoner wink

#9 2014-04-13 12:37:18

bunnybooboo

Main issue again with that link is that it works under OSX Lion (10.7) so seemingly no help to me at the important moment of loading the boot from usb under 10.6 and the slightly different architecture of the macbook

I'm wondering if there is a way to create a partition in my external hdd and install crunchbang on that. Then with the refind usb in the mac navigating to the external hdd to boot from. Then installing crunchbang onto the mac whilst running the OS from the external hdd.

Might work. EDIT: No £$%&#@? well didn't cry

Or even create a partition within the imac with the install iso on so the install attempts from an internal partition.. EDIT: I presume this can only be done with a working OS on the Mac or the install discs.

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-13 13:54:12)

@sw1ayfe

#10 2014-04-13 14:22:12

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

The #! live disk should allow you to create, delete & edit the internal partitions using gparted (openbox main menu > system > gparted); you cannot edit a partition that is mounted (ie that you are booted from).
Try this link from @Geezer, he seems to have managed to dual-boot an imac with #!

#11 2014-04-13 14:36:59

bunnybooboo

Yeah it's certainly 'possible' but most people install from the live CD. I am yet to find someone running 10.6 and being successful via usb.

I'm trying a few further things on the imac, namely single user mode and verbose mode:

verbose mode (pressing cmd/super v on startup) printed this:

Running fsck on the boot volume...
	Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491.6.3).
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking extents overflow file.
** Checking catclog file.
	Keys out of order
(4, 490)
** Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
[Bluetooth::CSRHIDTransition] transition complete.
CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController::setupHardware super returned 0
AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA
AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <= 1024, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328
** The volume OSX could not be repaired.
Launchctl: Please convert the following to launchcd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
launch_msg(): Socket is not connected
DNSServiceRegister("afpovertcp"): -65563
DNSServiceRegister("afpovertcp"): -65563
DNSServiceRegister("smb"): -65563
launch_msg(): Socket is not connected

and single user mode (pressing cmd/super s on startup) gets me to the command line as root#

Hmmm. To what extent can I work as root?.. time will tell

@sw1ayfe

#12 2014-04-13 16:19:25

bunnybooboo

Well that achieved sod all. Been looking for my original discs but can't locate them. I did however find an old Ubuntu install disc!! The imac spat it out a few times but I plugged in the refind usb and had to do that with the disc ejected. When refind started I then inserted the Ubuntu install disc and hit ESC to refresh the bootload. The legacy linux icon came up and 10 minutes later it's still doing 'something'. Thinking hard I bet.

I was determined to crack this via the usb in case the cd drive eventually fails completely. Will report back how this goes..

oh spoke too soon.

EDD: Error 8000 reading sector 383283
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:

Now trying with refind usb loaded and another usb with Crunchbang 32 bit I had around from all this recent tinkering. Wouldn't locate the additional usb so now trying EFI Shell.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#efish

EDIT: which steps I can do UNTIL I get to the bcfg parts from step 12. So I have downloaded the 'x86 (32-bit) shell 2' and will attempt to get it running on the imac so I can complete the bcfg sections..

EDIT 2: Meh... https://sourceforge.net/p/refind/discus … /64362fb7/

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-14 08:50:34)

@sw1ayfe

#13 2014-04-15 13:36:53

bunnybooboo

Actually I have noticed (after trying this a gazillion times) that following the 2 partition method in that puppy linux install it specifically asks TWO things that I have not been able to achieve.

1. Getting gparted to remove the preceding 1Mb ahead of the fat16 formatting

2. grub-install on the PBR to the remaining EXT2 partition [grub-install is just to the MBR from all accounts] IS ANYONE ABLE TO ASSIST ME IN ACHIEVING THIS?

I may have been overcomplicating things in my desire to rush through the process. Hoping now to work out how to do that second point in particular before relying on any other methods potentially from rEFInd...

Last edited by bunnybooboo (2014-04-15 14:01:24)

@sw1ayfe

Board footer