SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 03:58:58

caesium5

What will happen to Crunchbang

A friend popped a link over http://blog.lxde.org/?p=208 the other day.

Was wondering what will happen to Crunchbang if lubuntu goes online, cause both seems rather similar neutral

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-05-18 04:09:17

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Re: What will happen to Crunchbang

Considering what theyve done to Xfce (Xubuntu) and KDE (Kubuntu), there always a chance they will screw up or otherwise add bloat to LXDE.

Also CrunchBang Lite is still very unique among distros. Most distros include a boatload of apps and have no "lite" version.

#3 2009-05-18 04:38:15

kBang
#! Die Hard

I believe #! is different enough that there is little risk of being compromised.   LXDE will always be like Gnome, all of LXDE's components will be used.  #! has no "components", it uses whatever is deemed the smartest solution at hand for it's components.  As anon points out, #! isn't under the Ubuntu flag, it risks little in the way of being mishandled as I consider XFCE has been under the Xubuntu flag.

Last edited by kBang (2009-05-18 04:39:00)

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#4 2009-05-18 04:38:31

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

Competition is good.  Lubuntu will undoubtedly look to Crunchbang as the standard to try to equal.  If they happen to come up with a few better ideas on their own, that is also good for future versions of Crunchbang.

Last edited by NewCityVegas (2009-05-18 04:39:21)

============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools + 240 internet radio stations

#5 2009-05-18 05:32:22

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Neither Ubuntu nor Mint seem to do well with their alternative desktop environments. I liked Mint Fluxbox but it seems I'm in a small crowd; I didn't like Ubuntu X. Mint have abandoned, sorry I mean devolved to 'Community Editions', their alternative desktops and PCLinuxOS broke up. It seems that distros need to keep focused to do well.

#6 2009-05-18 06:08:24

omns
#! wanderer

Toolz wrote:

Mint have abandoned, sorry I mean devolved to 'Community Editions', their alternative desktops

Mint have only ever had a main gnome based release. The others never 'devolved' to community editions as that's all they've ever been.

#7 2009-05-18 06:38:21

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Interesting. A few months ago they were moved to a separate page on the website and I was assuming this marked the change.

#8 2009-05-18 13:21:27

snowpine
#!-a-roo

CrunchBang does not use the LXDE environment, so I imagine there will be little to no effect. smile I do think Lubuntu is a sign of how influential CrunchBang has become; more and more users have become educated about the benefits of a lightweight distro. Plus as we all know, Ubuntu is based on what Debian was 6 months ago, and Debian recently added an official LXDE installer.

Last edited by snowpine (2009-05-18 13:22:29)

/hugged

#9 2009-05-19 11:38:09

DixieDancer
#! Junkie
Website

caesium5 wrote:

A friend popped a link over http://blog.lxde.org/?p=208 the other day.

Was wondering what will happen to Crunchbang if lubuntu goes online, cause both seems rather similar neutral

I agree with the Mystery Mod. Canonical will undoubtedly add megabloat to "Lubuntu" so that it will be as heavy as Xubuntu has become!

The nice thing about #! is that you can cutomize it with whatever you like - even KDE if you don't care about resources - without having to purge all the other stuff that comes with other distros by default.

I'm using LXDE with my Crunchbang and it's sweet and lightweight and familiar-looking enough to fool my family! They had no idea they were using Linux on that old computer until I told them!

Crunchbang runs quicker, of course, with no desktop environment at all, but the beauty is that instead of adding LXDE and then uninstalling all the extra unneeded bloat that "Lubuntu" is likely to have added to it, #! lets me add only what I want. That's better for newbies because a newbie doesn't know what to uninstall! "How do I know if I need that or not" is simply not an issue in Crunchbang.

-Robin

#10 2009-05-19 12:47:44

iggykoopa
Script Master

good point dixie about running kde if you want...you can actually just run kwin (the kde window manager) by itself instead of openbox...it actually runs rather well and is a lot lighter than a whole kde setup.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#11 2009-05-19 12:53:03

rigosantana3
Banned

I have tried lxde on severl distributions and it comes nowhere near the speed of crunchbang.
knowing ubuntu they will try to make it "idiot friendly" and bog down the system with unnecesarry features that make the os "easier" to use.
I swear- if people would just take the time to learn the 20 or so basic commands of CLI, all these slow os's would die the very next day.
Hell- there is even a wallpaper on google that list pretty much every CLI command you will ever need use.
If you are either too stupid or too.....stupid to take 10 minutes- 10 FREAKIN MINUTES to learn less than 20 words- you dont even need to be using a computer, let alone Linux.
Just before you go to bed read one command out loud- when you wake up the next morning read what it does.
You will have learned how to use the CLI in less than a month.
If you can't do that, I dont see how you can even use a windows or mac machine. Hell, I dont even see how you learned to speak.

#12 2009-05-19 13:17:08

omns
#! wanderer

^hmm, that's a little harsh, the CLI just doesn't suit some people. We have some overly-bloated distros out there for sure. As long as everyone is using linux in some form or another I don't see the problem. Linux after all is about choice and we should celebrate the diverse options that users of all skill levels have at their disposal.

#13 2009-05-19 13:25:41

rigosantana3
Banned

omns wrote:

^hmm, that's a little harsh, the CLI just doesn't suit some people. We have some overly-bloated distros out there for sure. As long as everyone is using linux in some form or another I don't see the problem. Linux after all is about choice and we should celebrate the diverse options that users of all skill levels have at their disposal.

Was their anything I said that wasn't true?

#14 2009-05-19 13:55:20

Toolz
#! Die Hard

rigosantana3 wrote:

Making a valid is point is much less about truth than you could possibly imagine. And the word you want is 'there'.

Both 'there' and 'their' are among the top 200 words in the English language. Now, if people would only take the time to learn the 200 or so basic words. Hell, there's even a http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T3xAxHafLy8/R … +words.jpg on Google. Just take 10 minutes, 10 bloody minutes... roll

#15 2009-05-19 15:13:40

matador
#! Member

Toolz wrote:
rigosantana3 wrote:

Making a valid is point is much less about truth than you could possibly imagine. And the word you want is 'there'.

Both 'there' and 'their' are among the top 200 words in the English language. Now, if people would only take the time to learn the 200 or so basic words. Hell, there's even a http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T3xAxHafLy8/R … +words.jpg on Google. Just take 10 minutes, 10 bloody minutes... roll

Would not like to offend anybody but...

lol lol lol lol lol

By the way, I assume the first "is" in "Making a valid is point is much less about ..." is a typo...  big_smile

Do not worry.  I am Spanish, so you will get me sometime sooner or later...

Peace to everybody smile

Asus EeePC 901 - 36G SSD (4+32) - 2G RAM - Crunchbang 10 "Statler" xfce

#16 2009-05-19 15:19:38

kBang
#! Die Hard

iggykoopa wrote:

good point dixie about running kde if you want...you can actually just run kwin (the kde window manager) by itself instead of openbox...it actually runs rather well and is a lot lighter than a whole kde setup.

I had this going too, also the Compiz WM.  Using #! default apps and daemons as a base makes it pretty light and basic.  You end up with a snappy system, especially for compiz.

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#17 2009-05-19 15:24:01

Toolz
#! Die Hard

matador wrote:

By the way, I assume the first "is" in "Making a valid is point is much less about ..." is a typo...  big_smile

Well spotted, it was bound to happen! smile

#18 2009-05-19 15:47:45

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

rigosantana3 wrote:

I have tried lxde on severl distributions and it comes nowhere near the speed of crunchbang.

There are always exceptions.  While I don't think the full LXDE is necessary, TinyMe 2008.0 uses LXDE and it is both faster and more resource frugal than CrunchBang.  OTOH, TinyMe is not nearly as complete and its menu system, IMO, is a mess.

============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools + 240 internet radio stations

#19 2009-05-23 02:53:02

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Eeebuntu is getting a LXDE version according to Liliputing:
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/05/eeebu … lable.html

#20 2009-05-24 07:26:47

SmashedGlass
#! CrunchBanger

NewCityVegas wrote:

There are always exceptions.  While I don't think the full LXDE is necessary, TinyMe 2008.0 uses LXDE and it is both faster and more resource frugal than CrunchBang.  OTOH, TinyMe is not nearly as complete and its menu system, IMO, is a mess.

i tried TinyMe 2008.1 "Acorn" on this old Dell, and it ran nicely. but AFAIK, support for it has now been dropped by it's own team since they broke with PCLinuxOS in preperation for a complete new direction [check www.unity-linux.com]. at any rate, shortly after i installed that OS there was a message on their forum saying something to that effect. #!, so far, works better and is more fitting to me though big_smile

n00b~ness, evolving at a glacial pace
"I don't have an internet-addiction....I'm just trying to get to the end of it."
   --------------------Registered Linux User #494414--------------------
Dell D420 | 1.2Ghz Core Duo | 2Gb Ram | Intel 950GM | Kick~ass #! Box

#21 2009-05-25 18:02:52

relic

snowpine wrote:

..... more and more users have become educated about the benefits of a lightweight distro.

Yep, I'm one of them. I have a Acer Aspire One D150 and CrunchBang is the only Distro that I have ever truly loved.

#22 2009-05-26 02:59:10

kelean
#! CrunchBanger

Toolz wrote:

Interesting. A few months ago they were moved to a separate page on the website and I was assuming this marked the change.

They were moved to there own pages to help keep things tidy on the forum.  They are still community editions but they have the full blessing of Clem.

#23 2009-05-26 20:37:58

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

it is indeed quite comforting to see such a strong sensible principle anti-bloat theme here.   long may that ever remain true.  bloat is the death of a system.  putting purpose before fluff is retention of salvation. cool

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#24 2009-06-19 07:41:42

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2009-06-19 08:08:54

Tuxfriend

People like small distros and easy desktops. At the AA1 full UNR boot 2 minutes still ready to use, lxde comes up in 35 seconds. I like the unr starter, so i like the xandros or linpus starter. Only unr are easy to configure, but they plague megabytes of gnome into memory before the starter are pinned above. Heard about a project that will use xfce behind unr, but xfce isnt small anymore. Windowmaker will be nice, the tiny dockapps are very funny.
LUbuntu will give a smaller base for the first install, but i think they will package it with OO and many bloated software. So the tiny base like chrunchbang will exist furthermore:D

Board footer