SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-10 06:08:52

instantrobot

Help! Dual-Booting OSX and #! Waldorf.

Hi there. I used UNetBootin to create a 64bit Crunchbang image on a 2GB USB (and it worked flawlessly), but for some reason, I am getting several errors when I try and boot into the USB using rEFIt on OSX. I want to install #! on some free space I set aside for it on my hard drive. I get the message "The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume. Note that external hard drives are not well-supported by Apple's Firmware for legacy OS booting." on my iMac. That message is preceeded by several lines of errors that read "Error: Not Found from LocateDevicePath" etc.

I tried using the USB on a PC, and could start a live session just fine after booting the USB from the BIOS. However, I cannot seem to get it to work on my mac.

Has anyone ever dealt with this/thinks they can help?
I'm very new to Linux, and have only ever used the Chrome OS distro previously, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.  smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-04-11 11:36:29

apm
#! Junkie
Website

Re: Help! Dual-Booting OSX and #! Waldorf.

sorry for the delay in answering , and yes "dd" is a standard unix utility found on all linux distros and other variants of *nix
including os x .
thus the command thats i have adapted for the article on linuxforyou.com from the usb installation guide here is your best shot .

sometimes all you need is to face the worst fear you have and to overcome it.

#3 2013-04-11 17:45:32

instantrobot

So I've tried writing #! to a USB using both UNetBootin and Win32DiskWriter (or whatever it's called. The one recommend in the help section), but both have not worked with rEFIt on either my 2008 iMac or 2011 MBP. They both have worked with my desktop PC though by booting through the BIOS and starting a live session. I've been told to research LILO or ELILO and GRUB but am at a loss, any more suggestions? Thanks for the reply!

#4 2013-04-11 17:45:32

instantrobot

So I've tried writing #! to a USB using both UNetBootin and Win32DiskWriter (or whatever it's called. The one recommend in the help section), but both have not worked with rEFIt on either my 2008 iMac or 2011 MBP. They both have worked with my desktop PC though by booting through the BIOS and starting a live session. I've been told to research LILO or ELILO and GRUB but am at a loss, any more suggestions? Thanks for the reply!

#5 2013-04-11 19:05:36

Loomx

AFAIK there is no way to boot a Mac from a USB stick - I've tried myself many ways, so if you do find that it can be done, let us know how!

Otherwise, I would recommend burning a cd or DVD and installing with that.
My other advice would be to remember to install Grub to the partition you put Linux on ( e.g. /dev/sda4 ) NOT to the master boot record ( /dev/sda )
Good luck.

#6 2013-04-12 06:19:22

instantrobot

Thanks! I'll try out a DVD install.
Also, are there any good guides to installing GRUB to a partition on mac that you know of?

Cheers!

#7 2013-04-27 15:31:56

Zelkaid

Hey there! CD or DVD boot is the only option, I just figured out how to install it in my 2007 Macbook.  I went through the guided partition scheme first, using one directory for the entire system.  Your going to need to install GRUB to the the root directory and set the bootable flag for it.  After the installation, boot again from the disk, go into live and DELETE the bios-grub partition from Gparted, it will cause your linux boot to stall before reaching the / partition.  Restart one more time and you should be all set,  figured this out after a week of looking through guides.

Board footer