SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-29 04:10:19

eriktrips
Website

Dual booting OS X Lion and crunchbang on MacBookAir4,1

Eureka! And it only took a week of research and trying stuff.

I am writing this in iceweasel on crunchbang here on my mid-2011 MacBook Air! Which, I know: with rEFIt/rEFInd is not such a big deal these days but I just could not stand the idea of using a go-between when I had a EFI boot manager on this thing already (the one that came installed on it) and was adding an OS with more than one EFI-enabled boot loader available. There had to be a way to get them to communicate with each other, right??

Fortunately for me, there already were people working on this problem who knew much more about what they were doing than I did. Today I was able to combine their wisdom well enough to get the whole thing together and booting into my choice of OS X or crunchbang.

I will post a more detailed description of what I did when I have had a little more sleep and/or it is still early enough in the day to have another cup of coffee. Which won't happen until at least tomorrow morning.
See new paragraph below!

If you are in a rush, here are four links that were very helpful, in the order of discovery:

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Full of exquisitely clear and practical tips on how to deal with the rise of EFI boot systems

http://wiki.debian.org/MacBookAir4,2Testimonial       
Gave me hope

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=15351
Cleared up something I had found puzzling for a very long time

http://glandium.org/blog/?p=2830
Surprised me with the key to all my troubles just when I was ready to give up

It took almost as much energy to piece together as it did to do the things I describe, but the account is ready. I think. Mostly I am sick of looking at it and want to get back to pursuing the elusive wireless fairy, so I stopped moving words around and I posted it at my blog as it is much too long for a forum post because I cannot for the life of me be concise about anything ever.

But maybe I included a detail that someone else will find Eureka!-inducing or something. Here 'tis:
eriktrips.com/2013/03/31/dual-booting-c … ok-air-41/

Do let me know if it is helpful. If it is unhelpful, you have my complete sympathy. If I knew a little more about what I was doing I might be able to critique my own method, but at the moment the #! install works and I am stupidly happy and all I know to do is to try to synthesize the sources who made it possible for to pick my way through without damaging anything beyond all repair.

Last edited by eriktrips (2013-03-31 23:31:29)

erik

that's it. just erik.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-31 20:59:47

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Dual booting OS X Lion and crunchbang on MacBookAir4,1

Thanks for this. I recently acquired a Mac book Air 5.1 through work and have been struggling to Arch Linux running on it. I'll pick it back up again this week and will look at your citations.

#3 2013-03-31 23:34:35

eriktrips
Website

Is it appropriate to comment in order to point out that the post has been edited in a way that anyone interested in this topic might want to know about? If not, I won't complain if you delete this one.

erik

that's it. just erik.

#4 2013-03-31 23:40:21

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Not exactly sure what you are asking erik, everything looks fine to me

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#5 2013-04-01 01:18:14

eriktrips
Website

Oh, I just noticed that unless a new comment/reply is posted in the thread, the forum index does not indicate that it has new content when the first post has been edited. Since it did have new content, having been edited but not newly commented upon, I made a new comment as well to draw attention to the edit. And maybe also myself. smile But of course I did not want to commit a faux pas by doing any of those things.

And now I have made another new comment.

I'm not really starving for attention, tho' it might look that way.   devil

erik

that's it. just erik.

#6 2013-04-01 02:28:04

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Just saw your post on the Silicon Valley SF LUG mailing list, Erik -- outstanding work (Edit: I often confuse those lists).

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#7 2013-04-01 22:36:07

eriktrips
Website

Thanks, Larry the CrunchBang Guy!

Having fun is fun.

erik

that's it. just erik.

Board footer