SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-30 00:24:26

irdj

Hi!

Hi guys/gals,

Linux has been a hobby of mine for some time now, though I've always used WIndows for gaming. I work as a network admin for a hospital, though, sadly we don't have any linux/unix servers still in production. sad We have a few old Redhat boxes lingering around for nurse call, and our old unix HIS server for archiving.

I've been lurking around these forums a couple of months and finally decided to make an account. I've used many distros but this one is sitting nicely! I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning from everyone. big_smile

-DJ

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-30 01:20:02

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Hi!

Hello!

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community irdj, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-10-30 03:44:57

schwim
#! Die Hard

Welcome DJ!

I use #! in a VM on my work/play computer so I can game on the second monitor and use linux for everything else. It's the best of everything smile

#4 2012-10-30 04:00:32

irdj

Thanks for the welcome and advice! I have ran Arch and Xubuntu through VMs on my main PC. However, I don't like going back and forth between a VM and my main PC OS (and sharing resources). I'm running #! full-time on my work and personal laptops and absolutely love it, though!

-DJ

#5 2012-10-30 04:04:03

schwim
#! Die Hard

Any time I'm not inclined to game, I would agree big_smile

#6 2012-10-30 04:09:04

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Interesting, I do exactly the opposite... I use VBox for gaming on my Debian Sid systems..

I do the same with those customers who must use Quickbooks when I convert them over to Linux.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#7 2012-10-30 04:09:52

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #! smile

Keep a copy of Win7 running for Netflix, but that's about it...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#8 2012-10-30 12:34:04

irdj

VastOne wrote:

^ Interesting, I do exactly the opposite... I use VBox for gaming on my Debian Sid systems..

I do the same with those customers who must use Quickbooks when I convert them over to Linux.

Lucky! I couldn't pay my clients to go to linux. It's sad, but they don't make an antivirus strong enough for some of these people, lol. Though, I have never considered getting some of my businesses to run their Quickbooks from a linux VM server, interesting.

merelyjim wrote:

Welcome to #!
Keep a copy of Win7 running for Netflix, but that's about it...

Any word if Netflix is going to support linux in the future? I haven't kept up with it.

-DJ

#9 2012-10-30 13:47:38

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

@irdj
Nope. As far as Netflix is concerned, the closest they want to get is Android. sad
If your clients want a truly paranoid anti-virus, take a look at Kasperski. Hourly updates, 24x7.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#10 2012-10-30 14:14:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

irdj wrote:

Any word if Netflix is going to support linux in the future? I haven't kept up with it.

The rumor apparently resurfaces every now and then, but the official answer from Netflix is consistently "We have no plans to support Linux."  (EDIT:  Apparently Amazon has a similar premium service available for Linux users.)

Welcome to Club#!!

Last edited by pvsage (2012-10-30 14:18:25)

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Board footer