SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-27 22:07:00

Tuber
#! Member

Choppy sound and video

I could really use some help with this. I have an older Shuttle SB75G2 system I still use a lot (specs to follow). It worked fine with Mint/Ubuntu up until Mint-10/Ubuntu Maverick. Every Ubuntu or Debian based distro since then has had really poor audio/video media performance.

When I try to play any audio or video file the playback will stutter, and when it does play, the audio is too fast (Alvin and the Chipmunks anyone?). The really weird thing is, if I set the audio to use the analog output ports it plays fine, but I prefer the digital (IEC958) out because it sounds better (analog out from the old ALC650 is not that great). So what would cause analog and digital output to play differently?

In the past I beat my head against my desk for days trying to fix the issue and finally gave up. I just continued to use Mint-10, believing that some newer distro release would fix the issue. Well, Mint-10 is now well past its expiration date and the issue still persists in Mint-13 as well as #! Waldorf. Windows-7 works fine on this machine, but... well, it's Windows.

The Mint-10 install isn't even minimal or lean. I have Compiz Fusion running with loads of desktop effects and I can play a 720p video while spinning the cube. With a clean #! Waldorf install I can't even play an mp3 without stuttering, skipping and distorted playback. Tried installing VLC and Audacious and they have the same problem.

The computer has #! Waldorf, Mint-13 and Windows-7 all recently installed (as well as the original Mint-10 load). I've been running #! Waldorf on my Netbook for a while and I'm digging the minimalist interface, so it would be nice to get it running on this Shuttle system as well.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium-4, 3.4GHz (HT)
Motherboard chipset: Intel 875P/ICH5
RAM: 2GB OCZ Platinum (Dual Channel DDR 400)
VIDEO: ATI Radeon X1950 Pro AGP (512MB)
Sound: Realtek ALC650 6 channel audio (built-in)

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-27 22:21:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Choppy sound and video

This is about the only part I feel qualified to respond to here:

Tuber wrote:

So what would cause analog and digital output to play differently?

Pulse maybe?

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2012-10-29 11:49:04

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Run alsa-info.sh - see http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. … p_To_Debug - and post a link to the results.

#4 2012-11-01 20:31:37

Tuber
#! Member

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Board footer