SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-16 20:28:37

Agnus
Website

Just got #! today ...

Hello everybody,
I've been using Linux for as long as 18 years now and have seen many a distro come and go, tried out several and went along with Ubuntu in recent years. Until a Linux noob I've met a few weeks ago surprised me by showing me how he was feeling comfortable with #! on his EeePC 4G. That, and the fact that I was looking for a less blown distro than Lubuntu for my own EeePC 4G led me here.

All human evil comes from a single cause, man's inability to sit still in a room. -- Blaise Pascal

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-16 21:51:31

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Just got #! today ...

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Agnus, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-10-16 22:33:14

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #! smile

Yell if you need anything, share knowledge if you can.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#4 2012-10-16 23:01:18

beadmaze
#! Junkie

you arrived at the right place for your EeePC 4G [and many other devices, too].
so be welcomed!
wink

We are a nice, friendly community here and I hope we stay that way.

#5 2012-10-16 23:43:58

schwim
#! Die Hard

Welcome!

If you're up for it, I'd love to hear what you think of #! performance on your 3epc!

#6 2012-10-17 06:58:31

vicshrike
#! by Default

You are very welcome Agnus, have fun!

#!, all else is but a shadow

#7 2012-10-17 10:14:36

Zax85

Welcome Agnus big_smile

#8 2012-10-17 10:57:48

Agnus
Website

Thank you very much for your warm welcome smile

I installed #! on the EeePC 4G yesterday evening using XFS in order to gain maximum storage capacity on the internal flash. I am very happy to see the little netbook perform quite well with #! (also I immediately fell in love with the Alt+F3 menu).  And while digging through this forum, I was even more surprised to see the first efforts of pibang linux being released (I use three RPis at home). Looks like I'm really getting into this distro ... wink

All human evil comes from a single cause, man's inability to sit still in a room. -- Blaise Pascal

#9 2012-10-17 18:48:48

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
I had a 1GB swap on my Acer netbook for over a year, and never maxed-out half the 1GB RAM. After a while, just deleted it and reclaimed the space. No loss of performance...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

#10 2012-10-17 20:17:12

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang, Agnus -- glad to see an old Linux hand finding what those of us here already know big_smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#11 2012-10-19 17:13:01

Agnus
Website

lcafiero wrote:

Welcome to CrunchBang, Agnus -- glad to see an old Linux hand finding what those of us here already know big_smile

Yup, I am totally surprised myself that I feel quite happy with this distro. OK - if you've seen (and been confined to work with) CDE at its time, *anything* is better than that (although, since CDE has been  released into the free software world, I keep a build of it on my machine for nostalgia). But it's the little things like Gigolo that add to the pure, kind of late 90's Linux experience - with 21st century technology just happen to work out of the box. And I think *that's* the point with #! that it gives you a totally different, more UNIXish and yet modern approach towards the Linux user experience. And some people expect this pureness, not a shiny Mac-look-a-like Linux distro.

I'd like to add one more thing, even though I might get a few 'boohs' along the way: up until now, I really liked the direction Ubuntu went. Even with Unity, because the current 12.04 release indeed is what the "crowd" expects from Linux: something different, but not too different from what Apple does. Evil people might call 12.04 a 'poor man's OS X'. It isn't. I really like it, BUT: with the latest mess Canonical released under the Ubuntu brand and with a personal demand for an OS that does not do the shopping for me, I have opted to give #! a try on my personal Workstation on a seperate HDD. If things work out (and I think they will - it's Debian after all!) I will make a donation as I do respect and acknowledge the effort behind #!

P.S.: take me for granted about the donation!

Last edited by Agnus (2012-10-19 17:29:00)

#12 2012-10-19 22:07:00

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

take me for granted about the donation

Any donation is gladly appreciated, never taken for granted!
I know that wasn't what you meant, but that was the way it sounded to my ears. tongue
Slightly defective ears, too.

#13 2012-10-19 22:11:04

Agnus
Website

merelyjim wrote:

take me for granted about the donation

Any donation is gladly appreciated, never taken for granted!
I know that wasn't what you meant, but that was the way it sounded to my ears. tongue
Slightly defective ears, too.

Heh - too much loud music, eh? Let's make that 'If it works for me I feel honoured to' ... tongue

#14 2012-10-19 22:22:34

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
Yup, usually documented here; http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … right-now/
As well as other tales of youth mis-spent. lol

#15 2012-10-19 22:22:39

lwfitz
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome Agnus!

#16 2012-10-26 11:56:57

Agnus
Website

So, I installed #! on a second disk on my Ci5 workstation today. Nvidia driver is working, as does banshee - minimum requirements for media stuff. Now I'll try restoring my data from my deja-dup backup I made on my Ubuntu 12.04 box ... keeping the fingers crossed.

P.S.: just fulfilled my promise  wink

#17 2012-12-12 21:53:58

Agnus
Website

Just did it! Eventually wiped all Ubuntu / Unity confusion off my preciuos SSD and made #! come true as my primary choice of OS. I rolled my own kernel though, based on 3.6.9, as is needed by Rosegarden in order to get acceptable timer resolution (preempt kernel, 1000Hz Timer). And what a surprise it was that after I booted this custom kernel I had nvidia accelerated drivers running as well, just out-of-the-box (thanks to DKMS)!  yikes

$#%&! off Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE and friends ... #! - *this* is the good stuff!

P.S.: Thank you so much, corenominal!

Last edited by Agnus (2012-12-12 22:11:46)

Board footer