SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-12 15:00:47

schwim
#! Die Hard

Your thoughts on some application choices to be run in Crunchbang

Hi there Everyone!

To preface, although I'm not very good at it, I've been working on and with linux for probably 12 years or so.  As the distributions matured, I was wrapped up in the new bells and whistles they provided and felt I needed to distro hop or upgrade to the latest version of whatever I was running so I could have the absolutely biggest and best applications available simply because they existed and I didn't have them.

Last week, while I was installing probably the 15th distro on my work machine to find something that worked for me, I had somewhat of an epiphany.  At some point in relationship with linux, I entered my minimalist phase.  Not only do I no longer feel that I need the latest Amarok or a GUI for absolutely everything, I am kind of excited at the prospect of an OS that exists in the background only to provide the stuff I need for work and play.

Which led me to another realization;  I have absolutely no idea what apps to install for my various needs that have a small footprint and "just get it done".  So here I am, asking for the assistance of the guys and girls that would know this type of thing.  I was hoping you could make some suggestions concerning apps that

1) work well with Crunchbang
2) follow Cb's ethos and provide the needed features while not packaging the kitchen sink
3) work in the de and not via cli(hey, baby steps)

So here's my list of things I haven't found a match for yet.  Your suggestions on suitable applications would be greatly appreciated!

Machine specs:

Acer Aspire 5251-1513

Processor: AMD V Series processor V120 (512 KB L2 cache, 2.20 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 25 W)
Memory: 2 GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory minus video allocation
Video: ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics with 256 MB of dedicated system memory

1) Media player:

I have a collection of 20k songs in mp3 format with id3 tags on a network shared drive(win xp mounted through fstab).  I would like a media player that would allow me to select and play media from the networked drive.  I've loved Banshee in the past, but am open-minded toward losing a lot of features.

2) PHP editor:

I'm going to try Geany, but just in case there's something you like better, I'd love to hear about it.  I've enjoyed Komodo Edit and Notepad ++ up to this point.

3) FTP client

I use FireFTP in the browser, but would welcome a standalone application.

There's others that I'm sure I'll need help with, but these are the apps that I use the most.  Your thoughts and suggestions on what I could use would be very welcome.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by schwim (2012-10-12 16:12:37)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-12 15:11:01

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Re: Your thoughts on some application choices to be run in Crunchbang

01) Media Player
I like and currently use Audacious, v2.4.4.  The only thing I don't like about it so far is that I can't, or haven't been able to figure out how to, rate songs.

02) PHP editor
Can't help you here.  For something with a better GUI, though, you might want to take a look at Bluefish.

03) FTP client
CrunchBang comes with gFTP by default.  I don't use FTP, so I can't say whether this is the best app or not for FTP work.

#3 2012-10-12 15:19:38

root
#! CrunchBanger

1) I prefer Exaile within GTK environments.
But there is a whole bunch of media players for you to try.
Quod libet would be a nice alternative.

2) If you are going to try Geany, I think you will be satisfied. wink

3) gFTP or its successor FileZilla.

/

Last edited by root (2012-10-12 15:21:03)

#4 2012-10-12 15:33:13

schwim
#! Die Hard

root wrote:

1) I prefer Exaile within GTK environments.
But there is a whole bunch of media players for you to try.
Quod libet would be a nice alternative.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.  I have one question concerning the above statement:

Am I in a GTK environment with stock DE in Crunchbang?

I understand that there are performance issues if I try to run an app designed to work in KDE in a Gnome environment and I think it's because having to load all the qt dependencies as well as the dependencies needed for Gnome.  If I'm looking for apps to run in Crunchbang, what do I need to look for to try to keep from having to load all that extra stuff?

#5 2012-10-12 15:44:27

snowpine
#!-a-roo

What are the hardware specs of your machine? That would be helpful information if you are asking us to make performance recommendations.

/hugged

#6 2012-10-12 16:10:41

schwim
#! Die Hard

I'm running it on two machines, but you're absolutely right.  and I'll post the specs of the wimpiest machine. Very sorry for the oversight.

Acer Aspire 5251-1513

Processor: AMD V Series processor V120 (512 KB L2 cache, 2.20 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 25 W)
Memory: 2 GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory minus video allocation
Video: ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics with 256 MB of dedicated system memory

Will edit the topic to add this.

Last edited by schwim (2012-10-12 16:12:08)

#7 2012-10-12 17:07:23

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Your computer is nicer than mine. smile

1) I use Rhythmbox, but I don't know the answer to your question about the network drives, sorry. Banshee is available in the repos too; when I just simulated installing it on my system it only needed 44mb of disk space, that is negligible on my system.
2) Geany is fine, I've also installed Leafpad (very fast, few dependencies) for when I need plain-text editing but less features.
3) gftp is built in and works fine in my opinion.

Last edited by snowpine (2012-10-12 17:07:45)

/hugged

#8 2012-10-14 03:51:31

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

schwim wrote:

Am I in a GTK environment with stock DE in Crunchbang?

Yes, CrunchBang is a GTK environment be default.

#9 2012-10-14 03:59:36

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

snowpine wrote:

1) I use Rhythmbox, but I don't know the answer to your question about the network drives, sorry. Banshee is available in the repos too; when I just simulated installing it on my system it only needed 44mb of disk space, that is negligible on my system.

Audacious is way smaller than 44mb.  The player and plug-in downloads from the Debian repos is about 3mb.  I can't remember if the player download brought dependencies with it.  The download of the latest version from the audacious site audacious-media-player.org is about 2mb.

#10 2012-10-14 05:13:57

mikhou
#! CrunchBanger

1) Media player:
I have a collection of 20k songs in mp3 format with id3 tags on a network shared drive(win xp mounted through fstab).  I would like a media player that would allow me to select and play media from the networked drive.  I've loved Banshee in the past, but am open-minded toward losing a lot of features.

You might want to try Guayadeque.  It's a lightweight music player with a nice GUI interface that weighs in at 2.1MB download with a 5.8MB install.  It's also the fastest that I have seen at importing music.  With a library of 20k songs, I think that it would suit you well.

mikhou

Last edited by mikhou (2012-10-14 05:15:38)

#11 2012-10-14 11:25:49

dura
Bloated Gimp

I usually use filezilla, which is a standard, as you probably know. Since moving to waldorf have been using gftp, which is nice and simple (and probably more intuitive than filezilla).

I use mocp for audio now. Blazingly fast loading up, etc., But I guess you don't want CLI (though once you have themed it it just become a very minimalist looking media player without mouse functionality). I used to use banshee, because it has plugins for downloads, etc., that seemed more functional than rhythmbox or something- but banshee always seemed very slow starting up and, as such, quite bloaty. I use a subsonic server now, so play most music through browser (though trying to set up network drive via samba for it soon...)

I think Geany is great. It has everything I need (though probably a lot more too, which kinda makes it a bit overkill perhaps). Gedit, notepad, leafpad, etc., don't seem to come anywhere near it, and only other thing I'd use would be vim, which then introduces the necessity of learning more commands...

#12 2012-10-14 14:07:44

schwim
#! Die Hard

Thanks very much for your thoughts everyone!  I'm going to be swapping out to Waldorf tonight when I ge home and then I'll begin working through your suggestions.  I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the various apps.

#13 2012-10-14 17:49:16

snowpine
#!-a-roo

KrunchTime wrote:
snowpine wrote:

Audacious is way smaller than 44mb.  The player and plug-in downloads from the Debian repos is about 3mb.  I can't remember if the player download brought dependencies with it.  The download of the latest version from the audacious site audacious-media-player.org is about 2mb.

Out of curiosity, what kind of performance boost are you seeing from having that extra 41mb free on your HDD?

/hugged

#14 2012-10-14 17:53:42

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Not sure about an AMD V120, but on an Atom n270 Rhythmbox felt really heavy & sluggish; Audacious is much lighter & nimble.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#15 2012-10-16 03:01:42

UHM
Banned

KrunchTime wrote:

01) Media Player
I like and currently use Audacious, v2.4.4.  The only thing I don't like about it so far is that I can't, or haven't been able to figure out how to, rate songs.

02) PHP editor
Can't help you here.  For something with a better GUI, though, you might want to take a look at Bluefish.

03) FTP client
CrunchBang comes with gFTP by default.  I don't use FTP, so I can't say whether this is the best app or not for FTP work.

Audacious is vile to use and over-hyped.  The only good side to this program is it is free.  If one wants to do a couple of simple changes its fine.  If one wants to do multiple edits on a hour broadcast or more then its dire.  There is nothing to touch Goldwave on a Windows platform and that is why I made sure I installed it through the Wine system on my ZorinOS6 I use on my main PC.

#16 2012-10-16 04:56:27

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I realize UHM is banned, but it appears he's mistaking Audacious (one of several Winamp-like media players) for Audacity (an audio media editor). roll  Or possibly trolling.

#17 2012-10-16 12:57:44

schwim
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

^ I realize UHM is banned,

Going through the recent threads this morning, I likened him to a meteor shower; short lived and wide-spread, but not a bunch to show for it after it's presence.  Lots of anger in that dude.

pvsage wrote:

but it appears he's mistaking Audacious (one of several Winamp-like media players) for Audacity (an audio media editor). roll  Or possibly trolling.

I think you're right.  I use (and love) the vile and over-hyped Audacity.

I did try Audacious, but it missed more of my collection than any other media player I've tried so far.

#18 2012-10-16 13:35:05

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ re: Audacious - Sorry to hear that.  Was it a specific file type/encoding?

#19 2012-10-16 13:50:54

schwim
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

^ re: Audacious - Sorry to hear that.  Was it a specific file type/encoding?

I'm forgetful concerning the actual error and to be completely honest, I'm having as much of a hard time in #! with my network drives as I have in the past in linux(which is a bunch), so I've gone back to using a media player on the host machine's end, since I never have an issue with any win or mac machine connecting to the drives. After asking people for help on troubleshooting networked win drives over the last 8-10 years or so, it's broken me and I am ok with using win/win for this part of my life.

#20 2012-10-16 22:05:33

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

I would suggest mpd for music, but that would require some configuration and patience.

#21 2012-10-16 22:56:05

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Hum... you know, everything I've wanted to get running on #! was possible.

# Banshee was installed for on purpose, to get the Amazon MP3 store working. Never used it as a player.

# Handbrake involved adding a multimedia repo to the Debian sources list, and the stunning realization that I had to install handbrake-gtk rather than handbrake (took fifteen minutes of feeling really stupid on that last). Made updated notes here; http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … e-install/

# Inkscape - because I need to play with SVG more often.

# The only thing that I haven't been able to get running is [gnome-disk-utility]. I don't really need it, but I've used it elsewhere and found it a good way to check external drives for glitches. I'll address that elsewhere.

# I'm a bit confused at Mplayer over VLC, but easy enough to fix that...

There have always been a few application I've liked over that's come on the ISO, but I figure if corenominal figures they're worth looking into, I should give them a shot. Haven't ever walked away saying that X is useless. cool

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#22 2012-10-17 00:57:44

dkeg
#! Die Hard

music player -> I'll leave that up to the others.  I just use moc. 

code -> sublime-text is my first choice.  Komodo Edit is second.  Never spent much time with Geany.  I'm sure its good, but was already using sublime.

ftp -> gftp or filezilla.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#23 2012-10-21 07:41:19

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

snowpine wrote:
KrunchTime wrote:
snowpine wrote:

Out of curiosity, what kind of performance boost are you seeing from having that extra 41mb free on your HDD?

I'm not sure.  I've never sat down and performed any kind of comparison and I haven't played with any other music players, unless you count VLC, under Linux for quite some time.  I generally prefer music players that just play music and handle my large library well.  Audacious seems to fit the bill so far under Linux.

#24 2012-10-21 09:46:39

nightcap
#! Member

Intelligent apps on #! ?  Here goes:
browse - midori
mail - claws
edit - geany
files - marlin
toons - audacious (extra clean sound with pulse audio server)
AV - smplayer (fast, stable, neat, compatible)
rip - asunder
etch - xfburn
disk utility - palimpsest
images - gpicview, ristretto, shotwell, GIMP
fonts - fontmatrix
pdf edit - xournal

Trust this helps.  smile

inject #! /reject M$

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-10-21 10:39:52

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

interesting audio player; deadbeef (in repos)

Board footer