SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-05 20:38:49

caerolle

No disks detected, select driver error in install

Hi!

I have tried a few times lately to give CrunchBang a try, but have been unable to even get it installed. When the installer gets to the Detect Disks step, it tells me it can't find any disks, and asks for a driver. This is pretty weird, given that I have installed a couple of dozen distros over the last few months, and never had this arise before. I have a 2-year-old i5 system with a Seagate 1TB HHD running on SATA III, and depending on what I am doing, a Samsung 830 128GB SSD running on SATA III, also. I have tried installing with just the HHD, and with both the HHD and SSD connected, same result. I have tried the stable and testing versions (both 32-bit, both from optical media), same result. (I am using the 32-bit as I am trying to get a viewer for an online game to work, and one of its issues is it needs 32-bit; mutliarch works for it in Mint, but nowhere else).

I did a search on this, only found the following, which doesn't really apply:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … ect-disks/

If you have any ideas, but want more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

caerolle  smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-06 08:31:40

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: No disks detected, select driver error in install

Are you trying to install Waldorf?
After you get that message, switch to virtual console 4. Perhaps that gives you more info on what the problem is.

Or switch to vc 2 and enter the 'dmesg' command. Try to capture the output on a USB stick - fat formatted should work - and post the output on the forum.

hth

#3 2012-10-06 14:25:42

caerolle

Re: No disks detected, select driver error in install

I have tried it with both versions, the testing (Waldorf) and the stable (can't remember the name), and made at least two downloads/iso burns for each, in case there was some issue with that.

The freaky thing is that I have installed quite a few different distros in the same way (including Deb Wheezy), and never had any of the installers fail to recognize my HDD.

If I get up the motivation, I'll have another go and see if I can capture some info to post. I did want to give CrunchBang a try, but I posted this as much as a bug report as an attempt to get the install to work.

Thanks for your help!

caerolle  smile

Board footer