SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-14 20:05:50

rynvie

Can't log in directly after installing lxinput.

Alright, I've been using Crunchbang 11 "Waldorf" for a month or so now, everything was going smoothly..got my custom Tint2 config, everything's fine. I take my laptop to community college twice a week, and I have to shut it down due to poor battery life. Just this last time I took it, I was using during my 5 hour break between classes, and decided I wanted to speed up my mouse speed. A quick google revealed lxinput as a good solution. I installed it successfully, and continued to use my computer for the day without shutting off. After getting home that night, I booted it up, and went to log in. After typing in my name and password and hitting "enter", I receive a gray screen, that looks like the login screen's background, without the login part. Nothing else happens, and I've let it sit for about 5 minutes like this at most. Pressing all the keys does nothing, and I have to do a hard shutdown to get out of it. My first instinct as a noob was to boot into safe mode and uninstall lxinput, but that didn't solve a thing. No idea what to do now.

tl;dr Installed lxinput, and after rebooting and logging in, met with gray screen that won't go away.

Last edited by rynvie (2012-09-14 20:06:53)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-09-15 07:49:46

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: Can't log in directly after installing lxinput.

I doubt lxinput does that.
I installed it on my system - sid based - and had no problem rebooting.

How did you activate lxinput?

You get the login screen, can enter your username and password, and then you get the gray screen?
Can you then use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to a virtual console?

#3 2012-09-16 00:35:38

arinlares

I have the same problem.  The only other thing I've found was a blog post who had somebody else fix it for them.

Personally, I can log in with slim, but all I get is the slim background and the message "Failed to execute login command." before getting kicked back to the login screen.  I have uninstalled lxinput, and still have the problem.

I'm using Waldorf, but our issues are caused by the same mysterious problem.  For now, I'm just going to install LightDM and call it good.

EDIT:  I didn't pay attention when I installed lxinput.  It pulls in lxsession, which is configured by update-alternatives to be the default x-session-manager.  So, what you can do is simple.  Run the following in a terminal:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

Select the number for openbox-session (in my case, it was 2), and press enter.  Log in again, and it'll work.  It wasn't lxinput breaking anything, it was Debian doing its thing.  I can boot with SLiM now.

Last edited by arinlares (2012-09-16 06:01:41)

#4 2012-09-17 01:31:34

rynvie

arinlares wrote:

I have the same problem.  The only other thing I've found was a blog post who had somebody else fix it for them.

Personally, I can log in with slim, but all I get is the slim background and the message "Failed to execute login command." before getting kicked back to the login screen.  I have uninstalled lxinput, and still have the problem.

I'm using Waldorf, but our issues are caused by the same mysterious problem.  For now, I'm just going to install LightDM and call it good.

EDIT:  I didn't pay attention when I installed lxinput.  It pulls in lxsession, which is configured by update-alternatives to be the default x-session-manager.  So, what you can do is simple.  Run the following in a terminal:

Select the number for openbox-session (in my case, it was 2), and press enter.  Log in again, and it'll work.  It wasn't lxinput breaking anything, it was Debian doing its thing.  I can boot with SLiM now.

Wow, that worked. You're a wizard. Also never knew about the Ctrl+Alt+F2 for the virtual console.
Thank you so much, both of you, especially arinlares. I'm forever in debt. <3

Last edited by rynvie (2012-09-17 01:32:00)

#5 2012-09-19 07:00:14

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Addendum: if lxsession(-lite) is added to Openbox's autostart (or the xinitrc) it can manage the session and call its own logout/shutdown menu (lxsession-logout) when called from Openbox's menu (lxsession-logout instead of cb-exit), and independently of which DM is running.

Ref: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession#Autom … _on_login.

#6 2012-09-23 13:51:32

Prindoll

arinlares wrote:

Thank you so much...! big_smile

#7 2012-10-08 23:19:52

mattymil

That's what I'm talking about! Excellent solution. Thanks!

#8 2013-12-07 19:04:07

toeglepy

arinlares wrote:

It worked, thanks.

Board footer