SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-08 10:06:17

Crunch3R

[SOLVED] How to install Firefox?

I had Firefox installed from the mozilla's tar.bz and it worked as a default browser after I added /usr/bin/firefox to 'alternatives', other than that I can't remember what I did. Only now after an update (I blame Iceweasel)  Firefox was gone, and I don't know how to recreate the previous setup as I do need FF as a default browser for other apps to use.

There's no /usr/bin/firefox now, it doesn't work when I just copy the supplied binary there. How should I proceed?

PS. I know iceweasel is rebranded FF, I just prefer the latter.

Last edited by Crunch3R (2012-05-08 19:36:51)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-05-08 11:21:37

Stanie
#! CrunchBanger

Re: [SOLVED] How to install Firefox?

Extract firefox package into your preferred directory. For example I choose /opt/
Then open terminal and run

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox 100

Just to check if it was successful run

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

And that's it.

PS: In case you extract it somewhere else alter that command accordingly.

A secure alternative to Dropbox with complete privacy = SpiderOak. Join it using my referral and get a total of 3 GB to start with.

#3 2012-05-08 11:34:45

TitanMech
Banned

Allow me to quote Awebb here:

if anything as crucial as a browser needs to be packaged to land in /opt, it's a shitty browser.

Taken from here:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … hy-in-opt/

If you want firefox simply install iceweasel, the differences between the two are the removal of the firefox branding in iceweasel and some minor under the hood tweaks.
If your worried about missing your favrioute addons then most of them work in iceweasel, the ones i use such as noscript, ghostery, firebug, adblock the video downloader, all work in iceweasel and firefox

Last edited by TitanMech (2012-05-08 12:25:32)

#4 2012-05-08 12:04:06

Stanie
#! CrunchBanger

TitanMech wrote:

Allow me to quote Awebb here:

if anything as crucial as a browser needs to be packaged to land in /opt, it's a shitty browser.

Taken from here:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … hy-in-opt/

If you want firefox simply install iceweasel, the differences between the two are the removal of the firefox branding in iceweasel and some minor under the hood tweaks.
If your worried about missing your favrioute addons then most of them work in iceweasel, the ones i use such as noscript, ghostery, firebug, adblock the video downloader, all work in iceweasel and firefox

lol You got me. As to FF vs IW I have had a few problematic addons a while back with iceweasel v. 4-6 so I just gave up and went with FF. It may have been resolved but frankly I don't care to try it anymore.

You don't have to extract FF in into /opt - you can choose other directory even in your home folder. I am just used to it...

And BTW the link you posted is broken - here it is once more: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … hy-in-opt/

A secure alternative to Dropbox with complete privacy = SpiderOak. Join it using my referral and get a total of 3 GB to start with.

#5 2012-05-08 12:20:39

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

1. Extract firefox to $HOME
2. Ass this to your .bashrc: export PATH="$HOME/firefox:$PATH"
3. sudo update-alternatives  --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /home/$YOURUSERNAME/firefox/firefox 100
4. Change the WEb Browser option or whatever it is in your openbox menu
5. ???
6. Profit!

Now IceTurtle can go L*onel R*tch*e itself.

#6 2012-05-08 12:24:49

TitanMech
Banned

@Stanie

Hmm i dont know how my link got messed up like that, but thanks for pointing that out.

#7 2012-05-08 15:51:31

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

el_koraco wrote:

2. Ass this to your .bashrc: export PATH="$HOME/firefox:$PATH"

Freudian typo?

c0KQH.png

#8 2012-05-08 16:54:12

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

rofl

#9 2012-05-08 18:28:54

Crunch3R

Stanie wrote:

Extract firefox package into your preferred directory. For example I choose /opt/
Then open terminal and run

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox 100

Just to check if it was successful run

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Thanks, it worked.

Just one more thing? Is there a way to make a firefox executable, so it could be run as 'firefox' from dmenu? Or is this stupid?

#10 2012-05-08 19:22:31

Stanie
#! CrunchBanger

Crunch3R wrote:

Thanks, it worked.

Just one more thing? Is there a way to make a firefox executable, so it could be run as 'firefox' from dmenu? Or is this stupid?

Well there surely is a way. I just don't know it as I usually prefer kupfer (gnome-do lightweight alternative) to dmenu. You can open it from dmenu with x-www-browser ATM.
For adding items to dmenu check this http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/h … s_to_dmenu

Board footer