SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-03 22:37:27

paxmark1
#! CrunchBanger

SOLVED: two nm-applet 's

Asus eeebox EB1020 Amd-C50 1 gb ram ati6250   had ati-catalyst 11 or 12 on.   Debian stable

Statler i-386  sources.list had appended Opera, Debian Multimedia and backports with Statler multimedia commented out.

Side issue that caused my experiment (was not going to go  to testing for a couple of months yet) was a slow to crawl of mplayer,  vlc and tardiness in moving windows, redrawing windows.  In retrospect this might have come from going to kernel 3.1 to 3.2 messing with catalyst.  Should have run fgl_glxgears to see it's output.        Presently in Waldorf I get 1379 frames in 5.0 seconds = 275.800 FPS

Unknown to me that a testing Waldorf  was to be unveiled, I commented out the CB part of sources .list

I changed squeeze to testing and proceeded.  One big error I did was put dist-upgrade after aptitude instead of full-upgrade.  Super cow didn't catch it.  Or something.  Tangled mess, but I was able to salvage it I believe.  Went at getting Ati Catalyst installed via the cchtml.com website.  It worked well for me in the past.  12-4 no luck.  12-3 no luck.  HOWEVER sudo aptitude of the method shown on cchtml.com WORKED and I had Catalyst 12-3.  Happy.  And mplayer would play .mp4's at normal speed.     BTW  I ADDED THE firmware-realtek    To best of my knowledge I never used it in Statler but it would mention it's absence  whenever dkms use changed or kernel upgraded.   

Testing did not like slim and tint2  and could not update them. 

Sleep.  Turned off

TWO nm-applet icons on screen, not sure if that was after or before I unplugged eth0.

Saw the news about waldorf.  I downloaded i-686 (on another machine).  I did a clean install on /    via cd-rom    I kept /home as is.     2 nm-applet   appear after the shutdown.     Had other problems.  I used smxi on the install for the first time ever.  Catalyst 12-3 would not install via smxi.  Ctl-Alt-F1 dnw either.  I did not do cb-welcome.

TWO nm-applet icons on screen, not sure if that was after or before I unplugged eth0.

Sleep Clean install of i-686 again, smxi not used, cb-welcome performed and gdm3 installed (after going to testing, this machine does not like slim). 

One fine running machine until shutdown  even with two nm-applets shown (side note - finally put in the passworkd for the wireless at this point prior to shutting down) and then again

TWO nm-applet icons on screen  With ethernet removed, they will both say that the wireless is enabled, but browsers and aptitude safe-update dnw. 

wicd  might be the easiest option and then to purge nm.  Or would just purging nm-applet be enough.  Or I could just give this machine a static dns?   (or 2  - 1 for eth0 and one for wlan0??)  I have a static for my dlink nas.  Interesting to see if others get this via non-free realtek firmware or via  the low end early stage AMD chippery that I have.

peace, mark

Last edited by paxmark1 (2012-05-04 01:11:53)

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-05-03 22:47:36

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Re: SOLVED: two nm-applet 's

I think the two nm-applets are there because one is loaded from ~/.config/openbox/autostart and the other one from /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … de-to-sid/

#3 2012-05-04 01:18:56

paxmark1
#! CrunchBanger

Changed to solved.  I know I did a forum search(es?) on this, but maybe it was just on our blue shaded parent. 

Yea, I took nm-applet.destop  out of /etc/ xdg/autostart/  - figgered that the 4 seconds sleep sounded good for a slower paced system like mine. 

Thanks and I will try to search better next time.

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#4 2012-05-04 01:20:42

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^ It doesn't matter at all. Better to provide a link to an existing topic than to remain silent big_smile Have fun with the box smile

Board footer