SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-05-02 10:25:14

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

Re: Conky weather+moon scripts (Accuw/WUndergr/NWS/MoonGiant)

wow, we take in one refugee and his weather-scripts, and a whole slew of followers comes trailing after him! this is pretty great big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2012-05-02 18:31:15

42dorian
Banned

gekken wrote:

Hi all - I am trying to make something better....using the super-secret googleweather API:

#! /usr/bin/perl

use 5.14.2;
use strict;
use warnings;
use diagnostics;
#add some modules
use LWP::Simple;
use XML::Simple;
#use Data::Dumper; #only for debugging

#declare variables
my @forecast_vars = qw/ day_of_week high low condition /;
my @current_vars = qw/ temp_f wind_condition humidity condition/;
our $count = 0;
our @args;

# get the data from super-secret google weather API and pass it variables:

foreach (@ARGV){
    push(@args,$_."+");
}
my $url = 'http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather='."@args";

my $data = XMLin(get $url);

foreach (@current_vars){

print $data->{weather}->{current_conditions}->{$_}->{data}."\n";

}
print "\n";
print "\n";

while ($count < 3){

foreach (@forecast_vars){

print $data->{weather}->{forecast_conditions}->[$count]->{$_}->{data}."\n";

}
    $count++;

print "\n";

}

it's ugly and needs work. (test for spelling, "exists", some switches and the like)

but not bad for an hour's clobbering....

so save it somewhere as <your clever program name here>.pl
./foo.pl Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, suggestions WELCOME!

Suggestion:  Abandon Google Weather API.  It's stunted and incomplete.  It failed for VinDSL, and doesn't give anywhere near the data and adaptability that the other scripts have.  If you use the Google API, secret or not, you will be forced to use what THEY tell you to use.

I know, you don't have much reason to trust me on this, but please just do.  It's not worth the headache, and it's not a challenge in any way.  The "Secret" has been out for 5 years or so.  Everything that can be done with it, has been done already.  It was completely useless unless your weather requirements are the current weather conditions alone.

#53 2012-05-02 18:37:49

gekken

42dorian wrote:

Suggestion:  Abandon Google Weather API.  It's stunted and incomplete.  It failed for VinDSL, and doesn't give anywhere near the data and adaptability that the other scripts have.  If you use the Google API, secret or not, you will be forced to use what THEY tell you to use.

I know, you don't have much reason to trust me on this, but please just do.  It's not worth the headache, and it's not a challenge in any way.  The "Secret" has been out for 5 years or so.  Everything that can be done with it, has been done already.  It was completely useless unless your weather requirements are the current weather conditions alone.

Sorry, the "secret" was sardonic. hehe.

Well, I get four days forecast out of it, and I don't know enough about meteorology to make sense of too much more than "fixin' to be sunny" (And I live in Seattle. weather? cool and overcast 300 days/year. so if the forecast is off a bit...who'll notice?)

But I will take a serious look at accuweather and the rest. I know that someone has done it, probably really, really well, but is never hurts to give it another shot.

(also this is the first perl script I've ever written outside of a tutorial...so it's a learning thing as well)

Last edited by gekken (2012-05-02 18:41:06)

#54 2012-05-02 20:54:55

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

gekken wrote:

Hi all - I am trying to make something better....using the super-secret googleweather API:

Yeah, suggestions WELCOME!

Two actually.

1. Put it in it's own thread or the Monster Conky Thread.  This is for Teo's Bash scripts for weather.
2. concerning this:

(also this is the first perl script I've ever written outside of a tutorial...so it's a learning thing as well)

... keep it up, as a learning experience it's a super start.  See what you can squeeze out of GOOGLE, if for no other reason - to learn!

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#55 2012-05-02 21:53:39

mrpeachy
20% cooler

Sector11 wrote:

... keep it up, as a learning experience it's a super start.  See what you can squeeze out of GOOGLE, if for no other reason - to learn!

indeed, if by writing this script you learn something then that is justification enough

@ 42dorian, you clearly have strong opinions about the google weather api,
but we arent on the ubuntu forum any more and i would suggest a more tempered response
shooting people down isnt something that goes on much here

#56 2012-05-02 22:20:50

42dorian
Banned

mrpeachy wrote:

but we arent on the ubuntu forum any more and i would suggest a more tempered response

...Right... And... Shooting down GOOGLE does what to anyone?  Read it again.  The only "person" I discouraged was Google.  I warned about the headaches and limitations of Google.  I said nothing about his particular script, or for him to stop, or for him to go away.  You guys seriously need to get some English lessons.  Internet or not, if anyone discouraged the guy it's Sector11 by telling him to take the script elsewhere.  And even then, it wasn't in a discouraging manner.  I don't see you scolding him, and he did far more to this user than I did.

I told him to abandon the GOOGLE WEATHER API.  First sentence.  Nothing to do with his Perl script, or him.  I warned him of how much of a headache it was and how limited it was.  I didn't suggest anything other than "Not Google" for his script.  If you aren't getting that, I don't know what you're seeing in my response.  Where you saw an attack on him, I don't know.  I really, truly don't.

All this time you guys have known me and you haven't figured out that I use proper sentence structure and grammar at all times, not as an ultimatum to anyone?  I'm disappointed.  I speak from a lot of experience using and understanding these little scripts in an attempt to explain how they work to newer users.  It's fine and dandy that you guys are "More Laid Back" here on the forums, but you might want to learn to recognise what is or is not an attack on another person.  Just a suggestion of course.

Last edited by 42dorian (2012-05-02 22:28:07)

#57 2012-05-02 22:35:10

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ 42dorian:

At CrunchBang we encourage people to experiment and learn.  You did neither:

The only "person" I discouraged was Google

Since when is Google a person?

No, you told a "person", in this case, gekken, that:

It's not worth the headache, and it's not a challenge in any way.

when clearly, it was a challenge and his first accomplishment outside of a tutorial, and for that I applaud gekken and his effort.

I agree 100% with mrpeachy:

mrpeachy wrote:

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#58 2012-05-02 22:53:20

42dorian
Banned

And you need English lessons, Sector11.  Perhaps you've assumed "It's not a challenge in any way" means it's not hard.  No, it also means I'M not CHALLENGING You.  Look at his response to me, he understood that.  I'm sorry, but I refuse to use dumbed down language for any of you.  If you notice his response to me, he laughed about it.  We were completely okay with eachother for all I knew.  No animosity what so ever.  Then you and mrpeachy come along and assume there was.

I said, and you can look for yourself, absolutely nothing about his work on his PERL Script.  I said absolutely nothing about HIM.  I said, in quite a bit of detail, that GOOGLE was a HEADACHE.  I did not say anything what so ever to discourage him from his PERL Scripting.

It's about as offensive as someone saying "I'm going to climb Mount Everest tomorrow!" and you respond with "Oooh... That's the Highest Mountain in the World!  Remember to bring your Oxygen!"  If you can genuinely find where I genuinely discouraged his Perl work, I'll eat my hat.  Of course, I know the difference between a Perl script and the Google Weather API.  I know one script from another, and I know where one thing is a headache and another is not.  And I am quite articulate in describing it all in a perfectly rational, clear English sentence structure.

Check again you two.  There was zero animosity between the two of us until you two invented it from nowhere.

#59 2012-05-02 23:01:33

mobilediesel
#! Member

I apologize for feeding the troll.

Last edited by mobilediesel (2012-05-03 00:24:21)

#60 2012-05-02 23:01:50

falldown
#! Samurai

@42dorian
Perhaps it is just in the wording, but it wasn't encouraging at all.
Your experience with GOOGLE WEATHER API was in fact your experience.
You can't go around telling someone to abandon a script just because you have a distaste for it.. I'm sure that you wouldn't enjoy being shot down by someone with this attitude.

Everything that can be done with it, has been done already.

And S11 was simply telling gekken that this thread wasn't the proper thread for his/her post.

#61 2012-05-02 23:17:51

TitanMech
Banned

@mobilediesel - things like that only fan the flames.

@Falldown - 42Dorian gave his opinion, and i dont think any real malice was intended but that was the way its been perceived by several people.

It would amaze you all how many times i say things, and people think im being rude. Being dyslexic its usually cause my puctuation is terrible, or the structure of what i say doesnt flow well, or seems abrubt, i dont think 42Dorian meant any real harm, if anything he sounded like he was trying to help gekken save time working on a problem which would be easier using another api.

you should all kiss and make up - so to speak smile

And not to tarnish the rest of this great thread a mod should come along and tidy up this mis-unserstanding.

#62 2012-05-02 23:23:44

42dorian
Banned

Oy Gevelt.  Take ANY sentence out of context and you can make it say whatever you want to accuse me of.  But, when you put it back into place where I put it:

The "Secret" has been out for 5 years or so.  Everything that can be done with it, has been done already.  It was completely useless unless your weather requirements are the current weather conditions alone.

And it becomes, once again, a part of the suggestion.  Lots of other people have been trying to use the Google Weather API and they found it lacking, not just me.  It's extents have been found, and there's no mystery there anymore.  Nothing to do with his Perl script, or his efforts in any way.  Considering I went away from the computer for a few hours and came back to mrpeachy and Sector11 having already responded, I didn't really get any time to BE encouraging with him.  Damned if I do, Damned if I don't.  If I type a lot of well articulated sentences, I'm somehow giving an ultimatum.  If I shorten them down, I'm not encouraging enough.  You'll never be happy, any of you, with how I talk.  So I'm not going to try to make you happy.  I don't care about mass opinions.  I say what I know to be correct, and nothing else.  If you see villains in the shadows, that's your problem, not mine.  Everything was completely and totally peaceful until the lot of you joined in and injected all this negativity.

Get some English lessons.  I'm here for TBG, not the rest of you.  I saw someone who might encounter the same problems I've seen several times before, and told them about it.  I left it alone after he said it was worth continuing his work, and never discouraged him from doing so.  No one did.  Sector11 is the first and only person to have said anything about him or his scripts, and since that was perfectly okay, I see no wrongdoing having been done between myself and gekken.  Or gekken and anyone else.  The rest of you, on the other hand, I see have drastic wrongdoing in your actions.  And the fact that I don't submit to this kind of group or gang bully mentality does not mean I'm in the wrong on this situation.

#63 2012-05-02 23:33:04

gekken

@42dorian

1) we're cool.

2)  I disagree with the "Google API is useless" (paraphrased), but I am a junior woodchuck when it comes to programming and will likely have to come to that conclusion on my own.

@sector11

thank you for your encouragement. I think I may actually create a "Learn Gekken how to Program for Great Good" thread.

@mrpeachy, TitanMech (as in battletech?), falldown

Thanks for being reasonable

@everyone

why can't we all just get along?!?!?! </pathos>

Last edited by gekken (2012-05-02 23:37:11)

#64 2012-05-02 23:35:03

TitanMech
Banned

TitanMech (as in battletech?),

The picture is a unit called the Titan MK2 from command and conquer 3 Kanes Wrath
the 'Mech' part comes as you guessed from mechansied walker

Last edited by TitanMech (2012-05-02 23:35:36)

#65 2012-05-02 23:45:34

42dorian
Banned

gekken wrote:

@42dorian

1) we're cool.

2)  I disagree with the "Google API is useless" (paraphrased), but I am a junior woodchuck when it comes to programming and will likely have to come to that conclusion on my own.

You're TOTALLY allowed to disagree with me!  That's the beauty of it!  Go forth and code all you want, because I see nothing stopping you!  Perhaps you try another API like WeatherUnderground, or Weather.com?  I won't stop you, nor could I! 

I have no better suggestions for what you should use, I just have seen VinDSL attempt to hack some other people's scripts that use the Google Weather API, and several others attempt to do the same.  Google was a pain in the neck because it only really DOES 4 days.  3 days forecast, and the current conditions.  Sure, you can grab individual conditions or individual features FROM those 4 days, but those 4 days are all you get.  There's... just such a tiny little chunk of data and it doesn't let you do anything for yourself.  WeatherUnderground or Accuweather, as you can see from Teo's scripts, has a HUGE amount of data for you to play with in your script.  YOU get to choose from all that data, and can program your Perl script to your heart's content.

Yeah, Sector11 is right about this kind of thing belonging elsewhere on the forum.  Doesn't stop me from warning you about what I've seen from the Google Weather API before.

#66 2012-05-02 23:47:42

mobilediesel
#! Member

I apologize for feeding the troll.

Last edited by mobilediesel (2012-05-03 00:23:50)

#67 2012-05-03 00:05:03

42dorian
Banned

VinDSL is not the extent of my knowledge mobilediesel.  You don't know me very well.

When kaivalagi first had problems with weather.com discontinuing the XOAP partnership program?  I started going on the search MYSELF.  I found dozens of scripts, not done by VinDSL or even touched by him, who attempted to do Conky Weather using the Google Weather API.

They all had the same problem with Google.  4 days of data is all you get, and there's not a thing you can do about it.  Want some data in those 4 days that isn't provided by Google?  Too Bad.  It's not there.  Go elsewhere.

I never said anything about it "Can't Be Done"... I said it was a Headache.  3 Days Forecast, plus Current Conditions.  That's all you get.  There's limited data on Sunrise and Sunset times, Moon Phases, and a whole slew of other things that we're all VERY used to getting.  And, having looked for a substitute for ConkyForecast, it was LITERALLY a Headache seeing only Google Weather API.  Then Teo's scripts showed up and I learned just how limited Google Weather API was compared to, well... EVERY OTHER WEATHER SERVICE!

I never, even ONCE told gekken NOT to code.  I never, even HINTED, that he should stop.  I told him, and you can read it, in or out of context all you wish, that GOOGLE is a HEADACHE and is LIMITED.  The rest?  The animosity I'm expressing right now?  Is pointed toward the REST of you who have injected all of this misunderstanding and patronisation of gekken into this thread.  All of this confrontation started with the people who came to this thread AFTER gekken and I had our little talk about Google.  You all heard a voice in your heads that wasn't mine, or even a voice I ever use.  You heard what you wanted to hear, and accused me of things that just did not happen.  At all.  As in, it's all in your heads.  gekken and I were just fine and never had the issues you thought we did.  Nor did I say the things you accuse me of.  Nor did gekken feel displaced.  Unless one of the rest of you managed to convince him I said something I didn't.  And, oh yeah, his next response proves that didn't happen.

So, go ahead.  Say whatever you wish about me.  I'd love to see your proof, because I can prove it's all in your heads.

#68 2012-05-03 00:14:34

TitanMech
Banned

This is just dragging on now, and in order to stay neutral i wont take sides.

Your both probably great chaps most of the time, so this doesnt sound nice from me but the worst part is neither of you realise how selfish your being by continuing this, and in effect hi-jacking Teo's thread and putting others off asking questions about the scripts.

If you want to discuss who is right and who is wrong, please do via pm.

The reason for Teo coming here was because the arch forums are full of 'unfriendly' people, and all that seems to be happening here is certain people behaving similar to them, and thats not good.

Last edited by TitanMech (2012-05-03 00:15:00)

#69 2012-05-03 00:29:51

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Complete n00b question, but how does using a script like this with conky compare to the 'indicator weather widget' (or whatever) from Xubuntu? I had just a forecast icon with temperature (so, obviously, I can see there's a LOT I was missing), but, at the cost of how much more bandwidth? Meaning, from what I'm understanding, this parses a downloaded page, every 3 seconds?  For those of us on slower connections, is there a more optimal way? Or is the page it's snagging pretty small? Does it matter which of the services I use (Accu versus wunderground, etc)?  Thanks!

#70 2012-05-03 00:31:38

42dorian
Banned

To clarify, I don't infer or imply ANYTHING.  Ever.  Half the reason I type so much is so that what I say is what I mean, and vice-versa.  This is the Internet.  There's no voice to judge implication or inference.  The only safe way to communicate is to do it long form, without any sort of message left between the lines.

Also, VinDSL is a friend.  Not an idol.  Unlike the rest of you, I actually get some of his crazy humour.  He, as a human being, I like.  Him, as a Coder, bugs the crap out of me.  Unlike the rest of you, or VinDSL himself in fact, I bothered to break down his code so that new users could learn everything they need to learn instead of babysitting them.  Instead of cluttering up a perfectly good thread with the same questions, I answered them and actually HELPED new users by centralising the answers to their most common questions.  I put New Users and their Frustrations first before the egos of others.  In the process, I actually took the time to LEARN from the scripts of others, and compiled what the REST of you know to at least some usable degree.  Given, this has taken me out of the bleeding edge of what's out there, and I can only keep so much at the forefront.  But, that's where the rest of you come in to correct what I know.

It may not be as patronising to new users as the rest of you would like it to be, and it might not follow the "Is there a problem?  Code around it!" mentality that so many of you love, but it does HELP people.  Like me or don't.  I don't care.  But I refuse to treat other users like they need their hands held every step of the way.

Now can we PLEASE get back to Teo's scripts?  Because having to defend myself for all these things I just haven't done is outright offensive.

#71 2012-05-03 00:35:44

falldown
#! Samurai

greyproc wrote:

Complete n00b question, but how does using a script like this with conky compare to the 'indicator weather widget' (or whatever) from Xubuntu? I had just a forecast icon with temperature (so, obviously, I can see there's a LOT I was missing), but, at the cost of how much more bandwidth? Meaning, from what I'm understanding, this parses a downloaded page, every 3 seconds?  For those of us on slower connections, is there a more optimal way? Or is the page it's snagging pretty small? Does it matter which of the services I use (Accu versus wunderground, etc)?  Thanks!

You can governor the update time within the .conkyrc

update_interval 1

Changing it to update less frequently.

#72 2012-05-03 00:35:52

42dorian
Banned

greyproc wrote:

I'm a Xubuntu user m'self.  Honestly?  I run 2 custom scripts from Teo, with dozens of objects being generated in Conky.  It actually uses LESS bandwidth and processor power than the XFCE4 weather panel object.

The "Optimal" way?  Tell the script to run at a longer interval.  30 minutes or so can probably do just as well, and that will cut down your bandwidth use as well.  Just use execi intervals of around 1800 and it'll only update every 30 minutes.

#73 2012-05-03 00:38:18

falldown
#! Samurai

Ok 42dorian.. Thats enough!
Take TitanMech's advice and handle this elsewhere!

42dorian wrote:

Now can we PLEASE get back to Teo's scripts?

AGREED
Lets keep this thread for what it was originally created for.

Last edited by falldown (2012-05-03 00:41:07)

#74 2012-05-03 00:51:49

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Thanks for the responses; my ISP is rather nasty about bandwidth, so I've got to be selective about how I spend it; I was wondering if lowering the update interval was the optimal fix, or if there was a way of saying, "I don't care about these things; only download this thing I'm interested in."  Looks like interval setting it is. 

Of course, I could always look out my window, but there's never any fun in that! wink

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2012-05-03 00:59:07

falldown
#! Samurai

greyproc wrote:

Thanks for the responses; my ISP is rather nasty about bandwidth, so I've got to be selective about how I spend it; I was wondering if lowering the update interval was the optimal fix, or if there was a way of saying, "I don't care about these things; only download this thing I'm interested in."  Looks like interval setting it is. 
Of course, I could always look out my window, but there's never any fun in that! wink

The script's curl (which is when it connects to the website and pulls the info) is controlled by the conkys update_interval. (or at least that is my understanding of how it works.)
You can configure the script to only show the info that you want.

Board footer