SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-20 00:50:38

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Fitness/ health.

Gonna be playing less video games, that means coming back to Linux smile
Starting p90x with the wife tomorrow, along with eating better at home and no more fast food lunches at work.
And since I'm always barefoot or in minimalist shoes anyway then some barefoot running shall happen too, did 1/2 mile today, last bit of it was some walking also, toe skin got sore.
Interested to see how the rest if you guys do anything and maybe we can get some distant motivation, another forum/ blog I frequent is www.birthdayshoes.com.

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-03-20 14:30:35

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

Re: Fitness/ health.

Almost thought it was a self-glorifying thread... until I read the last sentence.  Got any shoes you recommend for barefoot running?

#3 2012-03-20 15:23:08

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

sunfizz98 wrote:

Almost thought it was a self-glorifying thread...

Nothing wrong for a bit of motivation wink

Some months ago I was an avid Crossfitter and went running in my spare time as well. Self-glorifying: I once almost completed the 100 burpee challenge, but got stuck at 75 cause of sore wrists.

Now I'm up to my neck in school work, got my finals coming up in about two months and next week I got my last test-week. I do want to get back on track though, and two months ago I enlisted for a 10km run. At the moment I can do 5, practically got two weeks left to get that to 10 lol

Oh well, we'll see.... By the way, care to elaborate on the p90x? AFAIR from last time, it's a paid program, right? What's the differences between that and Crossfit, if you happen to know what that is?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#4 2012-03-20 22:58:34

cbdxs
#! Die Hard

^Yikes that's a busy schedule.

叫我差不多先生。

#5 2012-03-20 23:06:27

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

I swim. This is the first time in a couple of years that I took a big break - sold my apartment, got a new one, been running pipes through the house, knocking down walls and such, so no swimming. I should be done with the renovation in about three weeks. Then I'll go back to swimming, and since the new place is on the last floor, with the access to the building roof by staircase, I'll install me at least a metal bar there to pull myself up (I forget what that's called in English), and probably a bench for a little weightlifting. Maybe even a boxing bag.

#6 2012-03-20 23:11:54

cbdxs
#! Die Hard

^a pull-up bar?

叫我差不多先生。

#7 2012-03-20 23:27:14

Vansgo
#! Die Hard
Website

You are what you eat - or not to be - I like barefootin' or sandals for the right climate - I have some Earth Brand shoes for on the job - on my feet, go, go go - they are very comfortable like air conditioning.

#8 2012-03-20 23:32:02

cbdxs
#! Die Hard

Anyways I should stop eating fast food at work or eat so late at night.

叫我差不多先生。

#9 2012-03-21 00:33:38

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

cbdxs wrote:

^a pull-up bar?

That's it!

#10 2012-03-21 00:43:53

dubois
The Old Codger

I'm saving money to buy a bicycle.  It's low impact unless I hit the pavement.  wink

EDIT -- Oh.  Since the topic is fitness and health, I've shed 10 pounds since the first of the year.  If I can work up to an hour of cycling per day that'll burn 500 calories.  Cycling an hour a day a week equals 3500 calories equals one pound per week weight loss which is reasonable -- and doable.  SOURCE  http://www.schwinnbikes.com/schwinn-lif … or-fitness

Last edited by dubois (2012-03-21 00:54:38)

#11 2012-03-21 00:54:20

bennisixx
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I've gone though p 90x twice. Its a great program. If tony doesn't get on your nerves, your golden. I took a 2 month break and I am starting again next week. Best shape of my life. ( hint: rip em to iso and play them with VLC, it will make the DVDs last longer)

SHOES ARE A GOOD THING IN P90X ...trust me

#12 2012-03-21 03:33:44

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I have a couple pairs of Vibram FiveFingers, and a pair of LEMings, love them and almost physically can't stand to wear regular shoes anymore.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
http://www.lemingfootwear.com/
Are the only ones I can really suggest since they are the only brands I own products from.
I would highly suggest reading the links under "Fit & Technology" on the LEMing site.
I downloaded full dvd rip ISOs of Insanity and currently have the Zumba dvds downloading for my wife.  Why is it that you say with such large letters that shoes are a good thing in p90x? I will be doing it in my VFF KSOs but only for the extra traction.
There are other minimalist shoe options out there, some mainstream and some not so much, can also look into Sockwa, ZEMgear, VIVOBAREFOOT, some from Merrell are minimalist, Softstar is also pretty nice. I couldn't stress strongly enough to stay away from gimmicks like the FILA Skeletoes, Adidas Adipure, and Newton running shoes are some of the worst along with the big name gimmicks from Skechers.

Last edited by Koala3 (2012-03-21 03:39:14)

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

#13 2012-03-21 04:53:25

cbdxs
#! Die Hard

I should start running again.

叫我差不多先生。

#14 2012-03-21 06:00:10

cJones
#! Junkie

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Vibram FF's

d(o_O)b

#15 2012-03-21 12:39:10

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I love mine and hope to get another pair more geared towards running on pavement soon and when I'm ready to start trail runs and the local mud run a pair for that.
I did put off starting insanity yesterday because only one of my calves is pretty damn sore still from a run Monday.

#16 2012-03-21 15:49:09

neolid

I started going to a gym last week. I'm not trying to reach any goals, just want to keep fit. Actually, I already feel much better. Oh, and since it's spring I've started cycling as well. Feels really good, man.

#17 2012-03-21 17:21:39

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

dubois wrote:

I'm saving money to buy a bicycle.  It's low impact unless I hit the pavement.  wink

big_smile

i really have to start working out again. been only going to the gym since half a year or so, but haven't gone there for the last 3 months because of personal matters. i need to get stuff back on the rails again. not sure if i'll still use the gym, i might just do it from home, pushup, pull-ups, sit-ups, all sorts of ups. loads cheaper that way.

i try and eat healthy but it is hard sometimes when you're just in a rush or tired or whatnot to really cook a meal. hey, isn't there a #! cooking thread?

@neolid: going to the gym really made me feel good too. when i came home i had a craving for fruit all of a sudden. as if your body tells you 'you have done something healthy, give me more!'

#18 2012-03-21 17:29:58

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I to have been riding my bicycle and eating better, feels better mentally and physically. Gotta hit the store today and get foods to bring for lunch and more fruit also.

#19 2012-03-21 17:34:33

neolid

'you have done something healthy, give me more!'

Exactly. Though, I haven't quit drinking beer. I think it's fine to have some beers during a week  if you spend a lot of time cycling/working out.

pushup, pull-ups, sit-ups, all sorts of ups

And don't forget cardiac exercises.

#20 2012-03-21 18:27:07

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Beer is staying in my diet, I don't drink a lot but I do enjoy it. Cardio is in would guess the most important, no use in having big muscles and no blood or oxygen to power em.

#21 2012-03-21 18:29:58

neolid

Swimming is the best decision for cardiac and keeping fit overall. Too bad I don't have any descent pool nearby. And since I find jogging extremely boring I choose cycling.

#22 2012-03-21 18:47:26

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

I confess to purchasing a gym membership about 6 months ago and I've never went there once! I feel so mad at myself for this, I'm so busy all the time I always find excuses to not work out. I was never like this when I was just a few years younger, and I REALLY need to start excercising as it starts to warm up here.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
---Thomas Jefferson ---

#23 2012-03-21 20:12:50

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

i've tried swimming but i get cramps all the time. i'd be in the water, just swimming away when BAM! a massive cramp paralyzed me and i had to paddle to the side in pain and making futile attempts to stretch my leg and stuff. i would love to swim but that shit just sucks so bad i gave it up.
if i go for anything cardio, it'll probably be running. i like the loneliness of it.

#24 2012-03-21 21:46:46

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

rhowaldt wrote:

i've tried swimming but i get cramps all the time. i'd be in the water, just swimming away when BAM! a massive cramp paralyzed me and i had to paddle to the side in pain and making futile attempts to stretch my leg and stuff. i would love to swim but that shit just sucks so bad i gave it up.
if i go for anything cardio, it'll probably be running. i like the loneliness of it.

Perhaps do some stretching and strenghtening exercises first for a month and then try swimming again? Though I think it's not worth the trouble, I don't like swimming at all big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-03-21 22:42:45

AnarchoPhill
#! Member

Just remember that no amount of exercise can fix a bad diet.  I eat paleo and do Starting Strength type workout 3x a week.  Bench press, over head press, squat, dead lift, pendalay rows 5 sets, 5 reps, heavy weight.

Board footer