SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-22 18:56:34

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

Mouse disappears after a mere second of inactivity in Xfce w/ 2.6.39

That's basically it! I can't find any settings to change this.

There's no problem if I install the new image (32-bit) and add Xfce and go from there, but I prefer to use the February Xfce image because of the settings for Conky and others that are already in place (I honestly don't know how to tweak all that myself).

I'm surprised that no one else has run into this issue, actually. I'm on an Eee 1005HA, if that information helps. Thanks!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-01-22 19:17:58

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: Mouse disappears after a mere second of inactivity in Xfce w/ 2.6.39

Can you post output of the commands

uname -a
lspci 

#3 2012-01-22 20:24:34

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

eeepc@crunchbang:~$ uname -a
Linux crunchbang 2.6.39-bpo.2-686-pae #1 SMP Thu Aug 4 11:02:22 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
eeepc@crunchbang:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
eeepc@crunchbang:~$

#4 2012-01-23 05:24:06

fratermus
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I assume the mouse completely dies (cursor disappears until X is restarted or box is rebooted).  If so, I'll sub and watch with interest since I have no idea...

Longshot:  if you mean the mouse cursor disappears and comes back if you move it that sounds like unclutter or some related tool doing its thang.

ps -ef | grep unclutter

brother mouse
new to crunchbang.
my first linux kernel build was on a 386-16sx with 6MB SIPP RAM ($50/MB!)

#5 2012-01-23 05:47:51

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

fratermus wrote:

Longshot:  if you mean the mouse cursor disappears and comes back if you move it that sounds like unclutter or some related tool doing its thang.

ps -ef | grep unclutter

Gah--that is what I mean! Sorry for the confusion... For some reason I thought that was implied. yikes

eeepc     4279  4262  0 00:46 pts/0    00:00:00 grep unclutter

That's all I see when I run that command, but it doesn't seem to do anything. But I don't even know if you meant for me to try that as a solution, so I'll just wait for some more suggestions.

Edit: I don't have unclutter installed.

Last edited by Jabroneous (2012-01-23 05:50:31)

#6 2012-01-23 07:58:02

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Warning, anything and/or everything that follows may bork your OS. Probably won't, but feel better saying that, shrugs.

I have zero experience with unclutter, but it is avail in synaptic for install. Other babbling to include. Might try installing some more xfce plugins. If these are missing that is ( not already installed ). This one looked like a poss for ya, xfce-settings. Guess someone could also go for the whole shebang and install xfce-goodies ... Lotsa stuff comes with that though. Aside from being addicted to WM's and now allergic to desktops at all.

Think one thing to keep in mind about xfce is it's supposed to be uber extensible. Well no doubt is, but once someone installs enough plugins for it, it's going to get heavier and heavier on sys resources. Guessing the less the better, #! openbox obviously uses several xfce packages anyway. Imo less is more regardless. I want n prefer to keep things as light as possible myself. One of the many reasons think #! is soooooo goooooood. Doesn't make all that much sense to use xfce if it's as heavy as gnome or whatever. Recall that being one of the reasons I didn't like many an xfce distro. They had way too much stuff installed by default or worse using gnome packages instead of xfce plugins for alot of stuff, arghhhh. Leading to em being a bloated mess. Only 2 cents on it.

Hope helps ... End babble.

ps, nope more babble, as usual thought of summin else to add for the sake of thorough blahblah. Might do a search for xfce in synaptic see what's installed vs what's available. And o course, guessing since it's Debian stable repos. Am extremely sure the xfce version there isn't 4.8 etc.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-23 08:18:24)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#7 2012-01-23 10:22:11

fratermus
#! CrunchBanger
Website

{I edited this to re-arrange my answer and to add superfluous detail...}

Jabroneous wrote:

That's all I see when I run that command, but it doesn't seem to do anything. But I don't even know if you meant for me to try that as a solution, so I'll just wait for some more suggestions.

I don't know any other apps like unclutter, but it purposefully does the exact kind of thing you are describing.  I googled around but only found one lead about hiding the cursor in xfce while  typing in a terminal.

Sorry about the arcane command;  basically it's a quick way to see if something is running currently.  ps -ef dumps the list of processes and grep unclutter looks for the string "unclutter" in the deluge of results  A side effect, as you saw there, is it sees the piped process "grep unclutter" as it runs.  Like catching your own reflection in a store window as you pass.  :-)

Since I was lazy I didn't type the version that would hide its own grep process:

ps -ef | grep unclutter | grep -v grep

It may not be useful for everyone, but I find I use it often enough that I made an alias in .bashrc :

alias psg='ps -ef | grep -i '

When you use it like psg unclutter it gets expanded to ps -ef | grep -i unclutter.

Last edited by fratermus (2012-01-23 10:30:36)

brother mouse
new to crunchbang.

#8 2012-01-23 21:18:12

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

@CBizgreat!: I've got xfce-settings, but certainly not xfce-goodies, for the reasons you've described. I'd rather not clutter my system with so much garbage.

What's odd is that I didn't take anything away from the system at all when the auto-hiding started to happen--all I did was upgrade the kernel. Do you think it'd be wise to update to an aptosid 3.x kernel while still on stable, if that'll fix it?

fratermus wrote:

{I edited this to re-arrange my answer and to add superfluous detail...}

Jabroneous wrote:

I don't know any other apps like unclutter, but it purposefully does the exact kind of thing you are describing.  I googled around but only found one lead about hiding the cursor in xfce while  typing in a terminal.

Sorry about the arcane command;  basically it's a quick way to see if something is running currently.  ps -ef dumps the list of processes and grep unclutter looks for the string "unclutter" in the deluge of results  A side effect, as you saw there, is it sees the piped process "grep unclutter" as it runs.  Like catching your own reflection in a store window as you pass.  :-)

Since I was lazy I didn't type the version that would hide its own grep process:

ps -ef | grep unclutter | grep -v grep

It may not be useful for everyone, but I find I use it often enough that I made an alias in .bashrc :

alias psg='ps -ef | grep -i '

When you use it like psg unclutter it gets expanded to ps -ef | grep -i unclutter.

I'm not totally clear on what you're suggesting here... sorry. Guess my newbiness is catching up to me!

#9 2012-01-23 21:37:52

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Are you also sure the mouse is not broken in any way?

Also Xfce can be very minimal especially on Debian and that is the case on my box, idle at 90 MB RAM.

If you want to install some of the goodies, do it app per app and not the whole stuff, that won't clutter your system.

#10 2012-01-23 21:46:26

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Agree with Ivan,

Though 90mbs idle ! Never would I accept such a massively over bloated resource sucking hog OS like that ... NEVER !!! Lol ... messing round o course. Do notice I start to grind my teeth anymore if I canna get a distro down to under 50mbs fairly quickly. big_smile

Ivan's system could probably eat this old dinosaur for breakfast n not even have to chew too though, shrugs.

Would look around in whatcha got. Been a long time since I've messed with xfce, plus being as the thing is so dang extensible, I have zero way of knowing what you've got installed, the layout ... so forth. Should be a graphical control somewhere in there to set junk having to do with the mouse cursor surely. If not ... am certain there's an xfce plugin for it.

Thread ... don't know if it's relevant to you. Looks like mouse related stuff in xfce-settings manager though. Could look there. Come to think of it, don't even know which version of xfce is involved here.

The kernel thing ... don't see any way in which upgrading a kernel would fix a missing plugin or misset setting in xfce. But that's just 2 cents ... Can always install/uninstall as many kernels as you'd like w/o overmuch harm. Guessing upgrading and trying it out wouldn't hurt anything. Only thinking it would have nothing to do with xfce's mouse cursor ... Also could always be wrong n freely admit it. You ain't the only one who's newbishness catches up w em. wink

Sighs ... while babbling about that, come to think of it. This post is a fine example of that. You could write what I know about aptosid and how well a 3.x gnu/nix kernel gets along with a Debian stable OS ( and your hardware) on a postage stamp and have room left over for real. Gd lk though, it sounds like your cursor works when you move it ? Just goes away too fast though ? ... Dunno.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-23 21:57:16)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#11 2012-01-23 21:55:52

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

If you want a newer kernel on Debian Stable aka #! Statler, seems now 3.1 is in the backports. You could try it of course, cannot hurt.

Also, what is happening with your power management? Did you try to disable some things or everything regarding to it to see what happens with the mouse then?

#12 2012-01-23 22:11:21

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Unleashed my massive google powers ... Fear me ! roll

May not be a gnu/nix guru, but have gotten fairly good @ googology. This seemed to indicate that xfce4-settings is an important config plugin for xfce ... xfce settings. Though no doubt Ivan knows mucho more about xfce than me. Likely would ever even bother trying to learn. Sticking to openbox and friends. The lightness ... da speed ... da gnu/nixy goodness of windows managers !!! Arghhhh.

Ok I can tell from this post, a. I've had wayyyy too much coffee again. b. Am getting weird and need to withdraw before I add additional weirdness to the #! forum and sadly c. Not getting much productive done ... sighs. Must now destress and get busy.

Later and as ever vll ! tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-23 22:15:22)

#13 2012-01-23 22:17:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@Ivan:  So far I've only seen 3.1 in the 64-bit flavor; probably going to drop down the pneumatic pipe for 32-bit soon though.  (It may already be available for manual install in 32-bit; I only noticed it for 64-bit because it came through on a dist-upgrade.)

EDIT:  I just checked the apt cache; the 32-bit 3.1 kernel image isn't in backports yet.

Last edited by pvsage (2012-01-23 22:19:01)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#14 2012-01-23 22:23:58

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Yep one more, I tried to leave no stone unturned here ...

That link about xfce4-settings, mentions what looked to be an important config file. You'll notice it says under xfce4-settings-editor that it allows someone to edit ALL xfce settings. They capitalized it, so guessed that meant something. Googled the file and this came up. Ok now more than done, commencing with destress and more coffee. wink

#15 2012-01-23 22:36:51

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Yes, xfce4-settings is the package where you can find also the mouse settings but I do not think that is the problem here. Also that should be already installed by default on the Feb release of Statler.

#16 2012-01-24 02:03:43

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

Yep, this started immediately after the kernel upgrade, before I removed anything Xfce-related. Everything is as it was from the fresh install.

Tried the aptosid kernel approach, but to no avail. But on a lighter note, I'm very glad to hear that 3.1 is coming to backports!!

Edit: My system, with Xfce, can idle at a bit under 70mb, so it's definitely nimble. smile

Last edited by Jabroneous (2012-01-24 02:17:44)

#17 2012-01-24 05:08:39

fratermus
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Jabroneous wrote:

I'm not totally clear on what you're suggesting here... sorry. Guess my newbiness is catching up to me!

No biggie;  disregard.  I was trying to clarify the purpose/use of the command I'd posted earlier and only muddied the waters further.

brother mouse
new to crunchbang.

#18 2012-01-24 07:28:13

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Unclutter actually looked like a poss to me ... unclutter. Not that I'd guarantee it or whatever. Under 70mbs is doing dang good for xfce me thinks, not that 90mbs is bad. Think remember Vista recommending 1gig/ram just for the OS. Hmmmm anyone who'd waste a gig worth of RAM to run summin like Vista, now that'd I'd more than likely frown upon. wink

Only wanted to add some babble, am not a xfce type person. For that matter, don't even know where the files are that control the mouse cursor of #! openbox, shrugs. Guessing xfce has a support forum, @ least they should, couldn't hurt to ask them about it I guess. Or widen the net ... Try Debians forum too ? Probably mucho more Debian users, than #!ers I'd hazard to say. Don't doubt many of those people know a ton about gnu/nix.

Other than this ... nothing else I could add. wink

#19 2012-01-24 07:52:11

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Just as an FYI, liquorix is now at 3.2.0-1 easily obtained with smxi..  and humming quite nicely IMHO

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#20 2012-01-24 13:19:16

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

VastOne wrote:

Just as an FYI, liquorix is now at 3.2.0-1 easily obtained with smxi..  and humming quite nicely IMHO

I was thinking about that as well... but does the Liquorix kernel expend more battery life than the standard Debian or aptosid kernels? This being a netbook, I want to be able to extend the battery life as much as possible.

@CBizgreat!: Don't worry, I like babble. big_smile I'm still trying to wrap my head completely around Xfce and Crunchbang, so any more information I can absorb is always a plus!

Last edited by Jabroneous (2012-01-24 13:20:34)

#21 2012-01-24 14:05:46

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Does the problem go away after a cold boot?

#22 2012-01-24 21:27:43

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

Nope.

Board footer