SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-28 06:24:01

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

New Install Upgrading to Wheezy

Hi people 1st post here...
My whole miserable resume' is Debian User since 1995. Currently running a Squeeze Xfce as my primary Distro.

I have been meaning to give #! a try (on an Open Partition) for some time and as I was getting ready to try Wheezy I thought I would start here.
Just a bit of feed back on what I am planning to do with my #! install would be appreciated.
I was going to download and to a #! Xfce install but upgrad it to Wheezy as I want to run the testing version.
I assume that I can ............
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to reference wheezy instead of stable or squeeze.

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
.... or is there some reason being New to #! that I should be made aware of some differences and go a different or better yet an easier route..
I have quickly scanned the WiKi and the testing Forum here did not notice anything that stood out in my first searches..
I would like to do it right the first time as I don't have much time for experiments these days..
Any help or directions are greatly appreciated.

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-11-28 06:35:18

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Re: New Install Upgrading to Wheezy

Hello,

please change /etc/apt/apt.conf from

APT::Default-Release "statler";

to

APT::Default-Release "testing";

or

APT::Default-Release "wheezy";

BTW, the new images do not have XFCE4 shipped anymore, you will need to manually apt-get install xfce4

Edit: You can of course add the statler repos to the sources.list and get the crunchbang-related stuff, then copy the skeleton from /etc/skel to ~/
Another (very good) way is to make a netinstall, change the sources and apt.conf, update&dist-upgrade, install xorg and a login manager then add the statler sources and get the crunchbang-packages. This is the way I just done this weekend, and it resulted in an excellent, lean and responsive system.

Last edited by machinebacon (2011-11-28 06:38:41)

#3 2011-11-28 16:46:30

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

THanks Very much for the info. smile

I downloaded the CD and I am now running it Live while I post.
  I see that the /etc/apt/apt.conf is a BLANK file on the Live CD...should this be so?

Secondly, (just an observation) IceWeasel is dog slow on this Live CD. I realize this is a Live CD be taking that into account the performance is still really slow..
ThinkPad (lenovo) sl410 w/ 3gb mem and DualCore Centrino Processor T6670 2.2ghz..
Probably will improve with a HD install.
  Lots of smart choices in the menu system though and I see LibreOffice install Now!  smile

#4 2011-11-28 16:51:22

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

One more question..

I see in /etc/apt/sources.list

## Compatible with Debian Squeeze, but use at your own risk.
deb http://packages.crunchbang.org/statler statler main
#deb-src http://packages.crunchbang.org/statler statler main

I have no knowledge of the statler repository (which I understand is CrunchBang's)
Having read so much about #! stability ...Why is a Statler a "Use at Your Own Risk" repository?

#5 2011-11-28 16:54:30

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

I guess (!) you can create it with the line above. As long as your install is fresh, a breakage won't weigh too heavy big_smile

Though, if you are experienced Debian user, you can really consider a netinstall plus xorg, lightdm, openbox, and the crunchbang packages. I have just done it, and had no problems with it. Yet big_smile

#6 2011-11-28 16:57:00

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

sqlpython wrote:

One more question..

I see in /etc/apt/sources.list

## Compatible with Debian Squeeze, but use at your own risk.
deb http://packages.crunchbang.org/statler statler main
#deb-src http://packages.crunchbang.org/statler statler main

I have no knowledge of the statler repository (which I understand is CrunchBang's)
Having read so much about #! stability ...Why is a Statler a "Use at Your Own Risk" repository?

Yes, the statler repos have a handful of scripts, themes and packages which are either a bit newer than those in the Squeeze repos or not available over there. The Use at Your Own Risk is nothing to be taken too seriously, the developer simply doesn't want to be bothered if a system 'breaks' - as he originally made this distro for himself and just shared it with others. Statler is one of the (or maybe the?) most stable distros out there. I guarantee.

#7 2011-11-28 19:28:29

chaanakya
#! Die Hard

I second that!  I'm using Statler + Sid (well...it's mostly Sid now - I think the only programs I still use that came with Statler are VLC and lxappearance big_smile big_smile).  It's so awesome!!  It's more stable than Ubuntu wink

Check out Musik - an easy-to-use text-to-music converter!
Join SpiderOak using this link and get an extra 1 GB free: https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 660e787ff1

#8 2011-11-28 21:19:33

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

I'm running the new #! Statler upgraded to Wheezy via smxi script in my sig.
Been here since #! v9.04, only problem on my machine is the guy at the keyboard. And I've always been able to glue the pieces together.

#9 2011-11-28 21:40:08

Ozitraveller
#! Junkie

machinebacon wrote:

I guess (!) you can create it with the line above. As long as your install is fresh, a breakage won't weigh too heavy big_smile

Though, if you are experienced Debian user, you can really consider a netinstall plus xorg, lightdm, openbox, and the crunchbang packages. I have just done it, and had no problems with it. Yet big_smile

@machinebacon not quite sure what you mean by "crunchbang packages". Is lightdm stable enough yet?

#10 2011-11-28 22:41:02

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

Sector11
Thanks for the reminder of smxi.
I hadn't looked at smxi in many years and then only used it for Graphics drivers...
Frankly, I had forgotten about smxi entirely.

#11 2011-11-29 04:33:39

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

The crunchbang packages you find by using

apt-cache search crunchbang
apt-cache search statler

They include crunchbang-bin-scripts [cb-welcome, a post-installation script which helps installing Java, CUPS etc; cb-exit, replacement for openbox-logout; cb-lock; etc.], statler-themes, wallpapers, the config files for /etc/skel and so on.

I can't say much about the (in)stability of certain packages, as I haven't had issues with neither LightDM nor Slim, xdm, gdm or the old-fashioned .xinitrc method without any DM.  None of them has ever crashed on me, however, maybe this was only luck.

@smxi: one of the best tools available, especially for testing/unstable folks. I also recommend adding apt-listbugs to the list of must-have apps.

#12 2011-11-29 06:13:28

Ozitraveller
#! Junkie

machinebacon wrote:

The crunchbang packages you find by using

apt-cache search crunchbang
apt-cache search statler

They include crunchbang-bin-scripts [cb-welcome, a post-installation script which helps installing Java, CUPS etc; cb-exit, replacement for openbox-logout; cb-lock; etc.], statler-themes, wallpapers, the config files for /etc/skel and so on.

I can't say much about the (in)stability of certain packages, as I haven't had issues with neither LightDM nor Slim, xdm, gdm or the old-fashioned .xinitrc method without any DM.  None of them has ever crashed on me, however, maybe this was only luck.

@smxi: one of the best tools available, especially for testing/unstable folks. I also recommend adding apt-listbugs to the list of must-have apps.

@machinebacon thanks for your reply

#13 2011-11-29 15:27:52

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

sqlpython wrote:

I see that the /etc/apt/apt.conf is a BLANK file on the Live CD...should this be so?

the apt.conf has moved to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/local on the new Squeeze (has to be created)

Last edited by machinebacon (2011-11-29 15:28:19)

Board footer