SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-12 03:24:17

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

i make music. do you?

let's hear it.

i'd like this thread to be a place where people can post the music they make, and other people feel free to comment on it in any constructive and useful way. please do not shy away from saying stuff like 'i don't like it' or 'this sounds a bit crappy to me', as long as you add ', because [useful, thought-through, proper arguments]'. please tell the truth, so we can all learn. so, we've established the credo for this thread:

LET THERE BE TRUTH, AND HOMEMADE MUSIC!

MU: http://soundcloud.com/rhowaldt/mu-pgs-121111 (latest, in progress)
momo: http://soundcloud.com/rhowaldt/momo-pgs-121111 (latest, in progress)
all my uploads: soundcloud.com/rhowaldt

i make my music in Renoise, which must be the best piece of audio-software for Linux. i make stuff that you might, were you so inclined, categorize as 'electronica', seeing how perfectly generic and useless a term that is. i create music with my laptop and a pair of headphones, so most stuff i make will not sound the most fantastic on your hifi-sets, but you might check out the headphone-thread (where is it? can't find it) to find a good pair for listening, until i have the room and money for proper monitors.

i hope some of you will enjoy what you hear.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-11-12 04:14:37

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: i make music. do you?

Getting and setting up renoise now...

Anything difficult about it or the setup on Debian?

Thanks for starting this thread

Going to have to go get some midi adapters

Last edited by VastOne (2011-11-12 04:15:11)

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2011-11-12 05:23:57

bennisixx
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I do, but I'm a reaper person so I have to keep a windows box  for that sad nothing else comes close.  I hope to have Linux and reaper native one day wink

here is some songs, Some beats started on my nix netbook running reaper under wine
http://soundcloud.com/bennisixx/sets/benni-sixx

explicit content btw

@rhowaldt good stuff. the first track sounded well mixed to me, a little too much mud on the lows but overall good.

Last edited by bennisixx (2011-11-12 05:30:11)

#4 2011-11-12 05:31:23

mad_dev
Website

I use lmms...though I am not a professional.

Crunch Out

#5 2011-11-12 14:43:29

rhowaldt

@VastOne: had no trouble at all setting up Renoise on #! as far as i can remember it was just unzip > install > run.
@bennisixx: the lows are difficult to master, in my opinion. i am not very good at mastering either. however, i do chuck a low-cut filter on about everything i do, so to preserve the low-end for the stuff that really needs it. i'll check out some of your songs later.
@mad_dev: i am not a professional by any means either. i don't think many of us here are. but please feel free to share some of your stuff here, and let's discuss methods and whatever.

#6 2011-11-12 15:15:24

safetycopy
urban legend

@rhowaldt: Nice tracks. I love how chilled out they are. Reminds me of some of the stuff I listen to on Hymen/Tympanik.

@bennisixx: Great beats and vocals on these. I think Alone is my favourite. Do you write/perform the lyrics?

Here's a couple of mine:

Kansen (WIP Rough Mix). Inspired by the Japanese horror movie, Kansen (Infection).

Madhouse Fancies (Lucky #13 mix by safetycopy. My wife wrote the spoken piece. This was the first time I've tried to compose something to go along with a spoken piece.

Nails. Noisier urban/tribal kind-of thing.

Dark Inside Me. Heavy-ish dance track (with a ton of samples from Lawnmower Man and Ghost in the Machine).

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#7 2011-11-12 15:54:04

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

"That which is not slightly distorted lacks sensible appeal" cool

I'm from an earlier era when you made music by steel strings and electric amplification . Still like to turn out rhythmic noises of some description - technically nowhere, but sometimes I like it.

The band I've been playing in since 1982 or so: Daihachi Ryodan

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )

#8 2011-11-12 16:00:27

mad_dev
Website

Here is one I did...It's a bit rough.
There is nothing special to it, a simple work-around on an ear-vomit(dubstep) song.

It's still a demo...judge kindly

Last edited by mad_dev (2011-11-12 17:10:31)

Crunch Out

#9 2011-11-12 16:07:36

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

johnraff wrote:

"That which is not slightly distorted lacks sensible appeal" cool

I'm from an earlier era when you made music by steel strings and electric amplification . Still like to turn out rhythmic noises of some description - technically nowhere, but sometimes I like it.

The band I've been playing in since 1982 or so: Daihachi Ryodan

Same here Johnraff... 

1982!  Wow..  a generation of music.. that is impressive

The site, music and posters are awesome.. thanks for sharing it...

Last edited by VastOne (2011-11-12 16:10:33)

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#10 2011-11-12 16:14:53

safetycopy
urban legend

#11 2011-11-12 16:16:29

safetycopy
urban legend

@johnraff: I couldn't find anything to listen to there hmm

I also play bass. Used to play with some goth bands in England a few years ago. I can haz proper instruments too big_smile

#12 2011-11-12 16:19:49

mad_dev
Website

safetycopy wrote:

Yeah..I am amazed that you knew that...

I simply reorganized some bits of the song, that's it.
Did you enjoy it...
...was it well, fine, or antagonizing....any feedback is constructive.

Crunch Out

#13 2011-11-12 16:44:36

safetycopy
urban legend

mad_dev wrote:
safetycopy wrote:

Yeah..I am amazed that you knew that...

I simply reorganized some bits of the song, that's it.
Did you enjoy it...
...was it well, fine, or antagonizing....any feedback is constructive.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this. I don't want to seem unkind if I'm barking up the wrong tree, so let's just say that I feel a little misled by your original post, considering the title of this thread. In future, I think you should be more honest about the nature of your involvement in anything you post.

I would also recommend that you don't post your "remix" elsewhere - I'm pretty sure Korn and Skrillex didn't release that track under Creative Commons license that covers derivatives, let alone without attribution. You're probably violating the copyright.

#14 2011-11-12 16:57:51

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

safetycopy wrote:

@johnraff: I couldn't find anything to listen to there

There is a little bit - try the MUSIC button.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )

#15 2011-11-12 17:08:30

mad_dev
Website

@safetycopy : Noted.
I apologize for my wrongdoing to you and the community at large.
I will remove links, and will never post any copyrighted material.

My apologies...again.

Crunch Out

#16 2011-11-12 17:13:25

safetycopy
urban legend

johnraff wrote:
safetycopy wrote:

@johnraff: I couldn't find anything to listen to there

There is a little bit - try the MUSIC button.

Doh! How did I miss that? big_smile

I really like it! You can tell that the band has been going for a while - there's a kind of organic comfort level to it all. Would sound just right in one of the bars of a Murakami novel smile

Also reminds me a little of The Dog's D'Amour acoustic stuff. Bullet Proof Poet (dedicated to Charles Bukowski) from 'A Graveyard of Empty Bottles'.

#17 2011-11-13 13:06:47

rhowaldt

@bennisixx: i'm not really into hiphop, but most of it sounds fine to me. i do think it could benefit from a separate singer, for two reasons: 1. your voice is better for rapping than for singing. 2. it would give some tonal variation to the songs. rap is often a long continuous slur of words, so you are essentially listening to the same sound constantly, which can get tiring. if you exchange it with a different voice or even some more instrumental break or something, that would ease up on the listening effort.

@safetycopy: i like most of those, especially the one with your wife's vocals on it. really atmospheric. what software do you use?

#18 2011-11-13 13:53:24

bennisixx
#! CrunchBanger
Website

@rhowaldt- funny thing is I agree. I moved to the country when I had kids and between the hippies and the rednecks there is little vocal talent. but I wanted to push the tracks forward anyway. I hate hooks in hip hop anyway and almost feel like focusing alot more on variation in the beats and drop hooks altogether.

@safetycopy - you make some cool sounds man. my  kids came running out of the room to listen wink

#19 2011-11-13 14:40:12

safetycopy
urban legend

@rhowaldt Over the years I've used everything from Cubase, to Propellerheads (Reason, ReCycle, etc), to Sonic Foundry's Acid and SoundForge, to Fruity Loops, etc, etc. Have a lovely Korg Prophecy in my Dad's loft in England waiting to be used again some day smile

@bennisixx Thanks, mate big_smile

#20 2011-11-14 04:34:56

Zen:Core
#! CrunchBanger

Wow, ambient, electronic, hip-hop and some jazziness. You are all awesome!

@rhowaldt Are you into Laswell at all? That reminds me of some the Material and Praxis stuff he's done. I love that stuff to deflate to.

@safetycopy Another set of tunes that remind me of some of the Laswell stuff and a bit of Zorn. I'm not really good at breaking down the genres of electronic music. I got schooled by a friends British husband about the hardcore and happy hardcore and so on, but that was a long time ago.

@bennisixx I'm not a huge Hip-hop guy, but that's the kind I'll gravitate to. That kind of New York/ East Coast sound. I like the beats and the vocal tracking you did. Do you mind if I point some guys at work towards your stuff? They're all big into underground hip-hop.

@johnraff I'll need to snag more songs off of your site, but I heard Sax, so I'm sold.

I'm going to have to give it all a really good listen tomorrow after work. Should be a good time. cool

I guess I'll bring the Metal \m/.

Needing a way to record music that didn't cost me an arm, a leg and my first born was what got me into linux in the first place.

Here's a demo (read: rough, quick and mixed at 1 in the morning). It was recorded using Ardour 2 on a Dell Optiplex with a P4. In a shed that used to house chickens. I mixed it on my i5 rig up at the house using an Alpha Build of Ardour 3. With some Calf, Invada, Ladspa and Guitarix/Impulse plugins.

Except Yourself (Demo)

|My Band: 12 Honest Men|

#21 2011-11-14 04:52:47

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I dabble in music production. I have some decent gear now so I should start producing again....but I just keep playing games whenever I have spare time neutral If you wanna check out some things I made around four years ago when I first discovered the world of DAW software you can check out my old myspace page. I would move it all over to soundcloud but it kinda sucks IMO, I'd rather just make that stuff over again =P

#22 2011-11-14 05:04:44

lampe

Hey,

I am a Beat Maker and I use the NI Maschine.
The Maschine runs on Windows and OSX only, so i must use Windows for this...

but i love the NI Maschine its a great peace of Hardware wink like the Akai MPC Series

#23 2011-11-14 05:12:49

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Maschine is cool, I dig most of what comes out of NI. I actually use a NI audo DJ 4 with #! and have never had any problems with it. I'd rather have a physical MPC though. This is part of why I'm so hesitant to produce again, I wish I had money to buy all the analog synths/mixers I want and then automate them via hydrogen/ardour. I guess you could call it a linux based analogue synth sequencer setup....or something.

#24 2011-11-14 14:17:18

machinebacon
#! unstable

Maybe interesting for those who like to remix: http://www.talenthouse.com/queen-remix-dont-stop-me-now

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2011-11-14 15:26:29

rhowaldt

^ hey, i forgot, for those of you who create digital music and read the website createdigitalmusic.com, i was featured there once with a remix i did of a song i think sucked ass! check it out, i was really proud smile http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/07/a … in-reason/

Board footer