SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-26 13:00:34

thevdude
#! Junkie

HOW-TO Upgrading from #!Stable to #!Testing

STEP 1: Setting up the Sources

This guide assumes you're going to Testing. You'll want to comment out all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list. Then, add this to the bottom:

## DEBIAN
# TESTING
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

## DEBIAN SECURITY
# TESTING
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

Save and close. We're one step closer to having testing! big_smile

STEP 2: Preferences and apt.conf

Okay, these next steps are kind of important, so listen up! There's at least two more files we need to change, and it's easy to do! open up /etc/apt/preferences and comment out everything in there by putting a # infront of them. (I like to keep things in the file incase something gets messed up. Then you can just switch the comments around, and you have it back to normal)

Now, this file assigns priorities to different packages, and we want testing to have highest priority. So we'll do something like this:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 990

#Package: *
#Pin: release n=statler
#Pin-Priority: 1001

#Package: *
#Pin: release n=squeeze
#Pin-Priority: 100

That'll give packages from testing a priority of 990, which should make them the default choice (especially considering that there aren't any other sources)

Now you'll also want to edit /etc/apt/apt.conf. This is a quick, one word change:

APT::Default-Release "testing";

And the sources and preferences are set up! big_smile

STEP 3: Fixing stupid perl loop

If you're lucky, all that was all you needed. But in some cases, if you were try to do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade now, you'd get into a loop like this:

Preparing to replace libc6 2.11.2-10 (using .../libc6_2.13-16_i386.deb) ...
substr outside of string at /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm line 130, <GEN1> line 4.

And that's no good. So we'll change that file a tiny bit, and make it work for us! big_smile Open /usr/share/perl5/Text/WrapI18N.pm into any editor you want that has a line count. Go to line 130. It should say

$r = substr($string, $l);

but we're going to change it to

if (length($text) < $l) {
    $r = '';
} else {
    $r = substr($string, $l);
}

and save it. We're now all ready to try out #!Testing! big_smile GET READY TO BLOW YOUR FREAKING SOCKS OFF!

STEP 4: BLOW YOUR FREAKING SOCKS OFF

Open up a terminal and run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Wait a while while everything updates, and stand by because I'm pretty sure it'll want some input on a few things. If asked to replace any config files, open another terminal and backup the original and choose to replace. In my case (on a fresh installation) it only wanted to change 2 files, and I said Y.

Some issues with testing I've found:

Thunar finds my windows network, finds my desktop that I serve files from, and finds the folders themselves that I have shared. But it doesn't mount those folders. No, that would be too great. sad No problem mounting them from terminal or fstab, though. big_smile

Reboot (both from cb-logout script and shutdown -r now) reboots the kernel, not the computer. Not a huge issue, but a pain if you forget.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-09-26 13:17:32

psyco430404
#! Die Hard

Re: HOW-TO Upgrading from #!Stable to #!Testing

That's a pretty good guide, nice work big_smile. Have you noticed any breakage with testing or is it fairly stable?

"'If fighting is to result in victory, then you must fight'...Sun Tzu said that and id say he knows a little more about fighting then you do pal."

- TF2 Soldier

#3 2011-09-26 16:30:23

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

Nice work there!  I'm assuming that you could do the same steps for unstable too?

#4 2011-09-26 17:35:10

thevdude
#! Junkie

psyco430404 wrote:

That's a pretty good guide, nice work . Have you noticed any breakage with testing or is it fairly stable?

Nope. Everything working great! big_smile After I backup, I think I'm going to try unstable.

sunfizz98 wrote:

Nice work there!  I'm assuming that you could do the same steps for unstable too?

Yup, just change all the testings to unstable, and get rid of the security repo. There isn't a security repo for sid.

#5 2011-09-26 18:05:58

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

@thevdude
Let me know about the results, cause I might want to do it for my desktop pc.  I'm thinking x64bit too.

#6 2011-09-26 19:26:30

thevdude
#! Junkie

Don't hold out on me. I'm extremely lazy and probably won't set up a backup for another week. D:

#7 2011-09-26 20:30:52

omns
#! wanderer

thevdude wrote:

Thunar finds my windows network, finds my desktop that I serve files from, and finds the folders themselves that I have shared. But it doesn't mount those folders. No, that would be too great. sad No problem mounting them from terminal or fstab, though. big_smile.

It would be good to add some info on how to do this to the howto or in a new howto that you could place a link to. If you don't have time to do that, let me know and I'll write it smile I'm thinking something like this but referencing thunar instead of nautilus http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42713

#8 2011-09-26 20:55:02

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Rawr, I'm starting to itch a jump to Sid, but everything is working so good...

#9 2011-09-26 21:43:13

psyco430404
#! Die Hard

sunfizz98 wrote:

@thevdude
I'm thinking x64bit too.

64 bit is great lol, only prob is if you use squeeze repos the wine is broken hmm

"'If fighting is to result in victory, then you must fight'...Sun Tzu said that and id say he knows a little more about fighting then you do pal."

- TF2 Soldier

#10 2011-09-27 01:01:10

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

^That's when you add the frickelplatz repos.

#11 2011-09-27 01:11:17

thevdude
#! Junkie

omns wrote:
thevdude wrote:

Thunar finds my windows network, finds my desktop that I serve files from, and finds the folders themselves that I have shared. But it doesn't mount those folders. No, that would be too great. sad No problem mounting them from terminal or fstab, though. big_smile.

It would be good to add some info on how to do this to the howto or in a new howto that you could place a link to. If you don't have time to do that, let me know and I'll write it smile I'm thinking something like this but referencing thunar instead of nautilus http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42713

TBH, it was as simple as adding //AWESOME/music /mnt/networkmusic smbfs default,credentials=/home/robert/.config/.smbpass 0 0

although cifs instead of smbfs might work.

#12 2011-09-27 19:27:15

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

@thevdude
Do you still use the standard kernels provided by crunchbang or do you use smxi to fetch kernels?

#13 2011-09-27 19:44:42

nathwill
#! CrunchBanger
Website

sticky!

NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

#14 2011-10-01 01:08:32

gurtid
#! Junkie

goddamn it! now i remember y i don't like wheezy openbox - xcompmgr doesn't play well on my setup (intel graphics)

good guide tho' thevdude . . .

all your Base are belong to us

#15 2011-10-01 16:47:47

ColInvictus
#! CrunchBanger

Nice. I just did this, but I left the Statler repo in sources.list and default release as "statler" in apt.conf. Is it odd that I had to run aptitude dist-upgrade 3 times to resolve all the dependencies?

#16 2011-10-01 21:48:23

gurtid
#! Junkie

^-- no, quite common.

#17 2011-10-01 22:39:34

ColInvictus
#! CrunchBanger

Fair enough then. I've just got done installing #! in a VM on my Windows PC so I could get the #! Plymouth theme back - Wheezy overwrote it with a Debian theme. And I had to fix my grub custom settings as the scripts used in Statler seem to be a bit idiosyncratic. But generally everything went better than expected. Which is nice.

#18 2011-10-02 05:20:09

gurtid
#! Junkie

Cool. i'm interested in wot's involved in restoring the statler plymouth theme so post up some details if you have time . . .

#19 2011-10-02 10:25:06

ColInvictus
#! CrunchBanger

It's dead simple if you have access to another install of #!. As I said, in my case I did a fresh install on a virtual machine. I did look at the disc image to see if I could find what I needed without installing, but it eluded me. Anyhoo, it was just a case of copying

/usr/share/plymouth/script/

from the VM to my newly Wheezied computer and running

plymouth-set-default-theme script
update-initramfs -uk all

to apply the change and badda bing, badda boom.

#20 2011-10-02 10:29:55

gurtid
#! Junkie

awesome - thank you

#21 2011-10-02 13:55:42

ColInvictus
#! CrunchBanger

Been thinking (rarely a good thing). Wouldn't it make sense to leave the Statler repo in sources.list and let apt assign it the default priority? That way, any changes (unlikely, but not impossible) to any crunchbang-* packages or what-have-you will still be available, but Wheezy will take precedence with its 990 priority in apt_preferences. It's what I did and everything still seems to work.

Last edited by ColInvictus (2011-10-02 13:56:16)

#22 2011-10-06 00:51:54

Ozitraveller
#! Junkie

It's been a few days since the last post and I'm wondering if anyone that has tried this has had any subsequent problems?

#23 2011-10-06 04:19:17

gurtid
#! Junkie

i 'essentially' did this on this particular 64bit ob machine (but let smxi control the actual upgrade process). no major problems with the upgrade. on this machine (intel graphics) compositing bogs down a bit - only noticable moving windows - and sound is muted on startup.

wot r your particular concerns? performing the upgrade or running wheezy?

#24 2011-10-06 05:03:51

Ozitraveller
#! Junkie

Running wheezy. What did you do with smxi?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2011-10-06 05:44:33

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

www.smxi.org hosts a bundle of scripts which can help you with adding kernels, updating prop. gfx drivers and takes care of cleaning up crust, removes old kernels, etc. I like it, too. Only supports testing/unstable, officially.

Board footer