SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 00:27:02

blackstar

Help setting up #! on MSi Wind! [Newbie]

Hey guys,

First a bit of history: I got my MSi wind a few months ago, mainly because I needed a small laptop to take around to classes for notes, etc (I'm a bioengineering student at the University of California, Berkeley). I had NO idea as to the amount of customization and "hacking" I would soon be undertaking with my Wind smile

I started off with XP Home, put on OS X. Stuck with that for awhile, then decided to try Windows 7. Installed W7, but accidentally lost access to my OS X installation, so I wiped it clean and just stuck with XP Home and W7 for awhile. Got bored with XP and Windows in general, and decided to go back to OS X. However, I didn't have a flash drive big enough to hold OS X, and so I messed around with ubuntu for the last month or so. Worked great, for the most part, but then I got the OS X itch again, and borrowed a friend's USB flash *8 GB*, and installed it and got everything running perfectly....except for the internal mic.

So I'm one piece of hardware away from perfection - so I went on a quest to try and find the "perfect" Linux distro to dual-boot with - one that would work with EVERYTHING, and that would play nice with OS X. Of special consideration: Wireless compatibility without much hassle, webcam working OTB, and internal mic WORKING. Basically I need a good skype partition...

Thus, I've been prowling the MSi Wind forums for awhile, and I recently discovered #!. I LOVE IT. I tried it on Live USB (using unetbootin), and it was stunning. Now, I'd like to actually install it, and I need some help.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to dual booting between OS X and Linux --> I need a walkthrough as to how to set up either grub or Darwin to work with both OS's. Also, I want to know from current users of #! on the MSi Wind, do all the considerations I need work fine in #!?

Thanks for reading this far - I realize I typed waaaay too much. Just sheer excitement smile

Thanks in advance.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-02-13 05:11:04

blackstar

Re: Help setting up #! on MSi Wind! [Newbie]

bump, anyone?

#3 2009-02-13 08:15:03

torerling
Website

Sorry, I won't let apple touch me with it's dirty paws, so sorry, I don't know.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are not blocking the fire exit!

#4 2009-02-14 10:05:51

jotapesse
#! Junkie

blackstar wrote:

bump, anyone?

Have you tried http://forums.msiwind.net/?

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#5 2009-02-22 21:40:55

blackstar

Yeah, I've tried it. Not too much info about #!, though.

#6 2009-02-23 17:38:46

woCrunchN0bang15

Im running #! on my Wind along with a few other OS's. So Ill try to help as much as possible, since my setup is a bit different.

First question is which wireless card do you have on your Wind?
Second did you make OSX partition take up your full HDD space? Like for example my OSX partition is 45Gb's out of 160GB's.

Ill try to help out more when I get out of classes, as I'm busy right now and theres alot. But honestly its just like installing Ubuntu, same steps.

Xps13

#7 2009-02-23 21:56:01

blackstar

Hey boost - I've got the realtek rtl8187se (stock)
My HD is partitioned pretty much half-and-half; 40 GB OS X, and 40 GB free space for Linux.

My primary concern is with wireless, webcam, and internal mic, and whether grub can handle recognizing OS X, and if/if not, what I should do to get a true OS X-Linux dual boot.

Last edited by blackstar (2009-02-23 21:56:21)

#8 2009-02-23 22:00:57

kiwiboyus

Check out the MSI Wind Wiki which is linked to from the forums. There is a great guide on triple booting that I used to set up XP, Ubuntu and OS X on my MSI Wind.

Twitter & Identi.ca = kiwiboyus

#9 2009-02-23 22:06:29

blackstar

Yeah, I actually just read that, so the grub portion is A-okay. Just want to make sure that the aforementioned components work fine (wireless, webcam, internal mic)

#10 2009-02-24 00:06:32

woCrunchN0bang15

blackstar wrote:

Hey boost - I've got the realtek rtl8187se (stock)
My HD is partitioned pretty much half-and-half; 40 GB OS X, and 40 GB free space for Linux.

My primary concern is with wireless, webcam, and internal mic, and whether grub can handle recognizing OS X, and if/if not, what I should do to get a true OS X-Linux dual boot.

Grub will not recognize OSX off the bat. But you just add these line to

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

:

title Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Regarding wireless check out this thread (it should be the same as Ubuntu):
http://forums.msiwind.net/debian/rtl818 … t4954.html

For webcam follow the directions here:
http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubunt … .28Acer.29

Setting it up is pretty much just like Ubuntu. Who knows install it and some of these things might work out of the box. I have a different version Wind so who knows. As for mic Im not sure if it works, I don't use it.

This is an example of how to parition your free space for #!, this is what I used for Ubuntu but my #! uses it as well.
Use the free space as an extended partition,, then from there create a 23 GB parition (this could be bigger since you have 40GB's free for it) with a mount point of / and running ext 3. Create a 1gb partition as swap (not mounted, but file system will be swap. Then create a 100 mb partition mounted as /boot and running ext3.

Last edited by woCrunchN0bang15 (2009-02-24 00:14:30)

Xps13

#11 2009-02-24 02:30:21

blackstar

Do I need to actually do the last step? Won't #! just do that automatically when I ask it to install to disk?

#12 2009-02-24 03:15:26

woCrunchN0bang15

blackstar wrote:

Do I need to actually do the last step? Won't #! just do that automatically when I ask it to install to disk?

If your referring to the /boot partition I don't think you necessarily need it. Its just the way I was taught to install Ubuntu. My #! shares my swap file. So Im guessing you need the main partition and the swap partition only.

Xps13

Board footer