SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-06 21:55:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Statler^Wheezy / Statler^Sid - known issues *with solutions*

Following what I thought was a great suggestion from vicshrike, I thought I'd kick this pig.

(EDIT:  Yes, I know..."Resistance is futile."  That may be true if R < 1Ω, and I agree that there's a safe & secure feeling in being assimilated into Debian Stable.  But for those of us with higher resistance, and those who simply like to break toys...)

Please use the following format for posting issues & solutions; unsolved issues should be discussed elsewhere.  Please post only one issue+solution per post.

Statler^Sid issue:severe
Broadcom drivers break on Dell Mini netbook (BCM4312 wifi card); dpkg reports "error processing firmware-b43-installer" and "error processing firmware-b43-legacy-installer"; wifi is down.

Solution:
Before switching to the Sid repo, purge firmware-b43-installer and firmware-b43-legacy-installer; install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.  With this package installed, wifi works in both Squeeze and Sid.  (Currently untested in Wheezy.)

Last edited by pvsage (2011-03-07 13:25:56)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-03-06 21:58:50

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Statler^Wheezy / Statler^Sid - known issues *with solutions*

Statler^Sid issue:trivial
(Dell Mini netbook) $acpitemp in Conky does not report CPU temperature.

Solution:
Replace '$acpitemp' with '${hwmon temp 1}'.

Last edited by pvsage (2011-03-07 13:25:29)

#3 2011-03-07 02:15:14

corenominal
WRONG
Website

pvsage wrote:

Following what I thought was a great suggestion from vicshrike, I thought I'd kick this pig.

Nice one! Thank you for starting this. smile

#4 2011-03-07 13:33:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Thanks for the forum!  Otherwise, we'd be at the mercy of the Debian forums, where phrases like "kick this pig" might land a poster in hot water.  (The phrase, by the way, comes from U.S. biker culture, where Harley-Davidson motorcycles are referred to as "hogs"; "Let's kick this pig!" essentially means "Allons-y!")

#5 2011-03-07 13:35:25

pitje
#! Junkie
Website

but but but I'm a pig, you insensitive clod! neutral

sorry. I'll go and have a cigarette. Be ok again in a few mins.

oh yeah? well, your momma dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files

#6 2011-03-17 17:46:25

are_you_root
#! Member

oink oink.. er umm I mean I am very tempted to get unstable. So while I work on mustering up the nerve to get kicked over over there at debian. I was wondering if any crunchbang sid users are using an Aspire-One netbook. Mine is a D-250 to be exact w/ Intel Atom and Athreros. If so, any issues yet?

Well It's time to hoof  through a muddy google search. But I'll be anxiously  awaiting any such reports if there are any...

#7 2011-03-17 20:10:13

omns
#! wanderer

are_you_root wrote:

So while I work on mustering up the nerve to get kicked over over there at debian.

They key to successfully asking questions on the Debian forums is to just ask like you use Debian Sqeeze, Wheezy, Sid (which essentially you do). If asked about your system just say it is a net-install with your own package set and configurations. In other words don't say you use CrunchBang  smile

are_you_root wrote:

I was wondering if any crunchbang sid users are using an Aspire-One netbook. Mine is a D-250 to be exact w/ Intel Atom and Athreros. If so, any issues yet?

I've run sid successfully in the past on my Aspire One. It's not the same model but has the intel/atheros setp. My only problem with it was that the SD card reader didn't work but this was a generic linux issue rather than being OS specific.

#8 2011-03-17 23:33:29

are_you_root
#! Member

@ omns

Thank you for passing along the #! key to the debian users forum. Cross distro survivor skills perhaps? They are a hard bunch over there but it's mostly just tough love.

As for the aspire-one, your report is as good as a green light for me. I'm gonna do it asap, definitely before the weekend is over. If any issues besides the sd card arise I'll post them here.

#9 2011-03-18 01:20:21

omns
#! wanderer

are_you_root wrote:

Cross distro survivor skills perhaps?

Not really, it's pretty much just telling the truth. Apart the custom configurations and scripts, CrunchBang is Debian. It doesn't use a modified kernel or lots of modified packages. It's mainly just pure Debian goodness.

#10 2011-03-18 07:48:25

are_you_root
#! Member

omns wrote:

CrunchBang is Debian. It doesn't use a modified kernel or lots of modified packages. It's mainly just pure Debian goodness.

^ big_smile No further authentication needed.

#11 2011-04-12 13:18:19

#! CrunchBanger

Statler Testing issue
yesterday night when upgrading, iceweasel 4 was removed (apparently some dependencies' problems)

Solution:
re-install it (yep, that obvious)

#12 2011-04-20 23:46:22

KapitaenM

Careful with udev 167 [sid].

Don't want anything in your /run folder. smile

#13 2011-04-21 01:24:09

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

when I upgraded, I had issues with the new tint2, and my heavily custimized configs.  I wound up sticking with the older tint2..

#14 2011-04-22 00:36:33

tranche
#! CrunchBanger
Website

KapitaenM wrote:

Careful with udev 167 [sid].

Don't want anything in your /run folder. smile

Yeah, I just got bit by this one.

Wasn't working under 167-1, 2 or 3 until I did this:

rm -rf /run/udev

#15 2011-04-22 01:13:53

KapitaenM

python-support 1.0.13 [sid] nulls obmenu
So, yeah, look out for that little bag of tricks...

Odds are sid's python upgrades will want to decimate half of your packages... like gedit, for example.
At least for now.

#16 2011-04-22 02:10:24

anonymous
The Mystery Member

bobrossw wrote:

when I upgraded, I had issues with the new tint2, and my heavily custimized configs.  I wound up sticking with the older tint2..

Delete (or rename) your old config, let tint2 recreate a new one and then just customize that one?

#17 2011-04-22 02:21:28

JDP
#! Member

omns wrote:

I've run sid successfully in the past on my Aspire One. It's not the same model but has the intel/atheros setp. My only problem with it was that the SD card reader didn't work but this was a generic linux issue rather than being OS specific.

I have a ZG5 (AOA 150 series) with dual SD slots. I found that booting Linux with a card inserted in the left slot would activate it for that session. I think the right slot worked regardless. I'll have to try with Statler sometime and report back.

#18 2011-05-02 12:06:34

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Would it be feasible to just install statler, update it to the current squeeze version, install everything i'm going to use, and then upgrade to the wheezy kernel and just leave it at that? Or is that likely to cause breakage with the kernel modules?

#19 2011-05-03 07:24:51

ZAP
#! Junkie

I did a dist-upgrade with the sid repos on an Xfce Statler x64 system and had a number of (non-fatal) issues at first. The most glaring one was that I somehow lost a number of GTK and GDM themes and icon sets, which led to some fugly breakage that I resolved by installing some newer themes (shiki, etc.) and switching to them. I didn't investigate as to what happened, since this was my test system and it was late at night. There's probably an easier fix (or preventive action) for this issue, but this worked for me.

I also ran into tint2 package errors, so I just uninstalled that. And my wifi also failed to work after the dist-upgrade (on a Toshiba Satellite), and I had a broken firmware-b43-legacy-installer package error. I plugged in a network cable and uninstalled that and updated again, and viola my wifi worked.

The update to Xfce didn't give me any trouble at all, other than slightly scrambled menus. Everything seems to work as it should, but I think I'll wait until the packages hit testing until I update my main system to that. Just for fun (trying to turn Xfce into Gnome Shell), I installed the Compiz and Compiz-Fusion packages and played with those for a while, but it didn't take very long for me to get sick of that.

#20 2011-05-12 11:01:31

slapfish
#! Die Hard

Thunar 1.2.1 on Wheezy/openbox

After upgrading to 1.2.1:
1. Thumbnails creation for new images/pdfs/etc stops. Installing tumbler fixes that.
2. Trash can't be created for ntfs (and maybe other types) partitions unless they are mounted with option: uid=1000 in fstab and reboot.
3. All emblems (if any have being set) are gone. The only solution is to re-apply them.
4. All the thunar-vol-manager options are gone. Apply them again and if you can't remember the actions for music/video cd/dvd etc you can find them in the old config file under ~/.config/thunar

I still haven't figure how to let regular users mount or unmount internal partitions. On my system only root can do that and only if thunar is launched with dbus-launch. see this post

obmenu got fixed today

#21 2011-05-12 17:23:05

KapitaenM

slapfish wrote:

Thunar 1.2.1 on Wheezy/openbox

After upgrading to 1.2.1:
1. Thumbnails creation for new images/pdfs/etc stops. Installing tumbler fixes that.
2. Trash can't be created for ntfs (and maybe other types) partitions unless they are mounted with option: uid=1000 in fstab and reboot.
3. All emblems (if any have being set) are gone. The only solution is to re-apply them.
4. All the thunar-vol-manager options are gone. Apply them again and if you can't remember the actions for music/video cd/dvd etc you can find them in the old config file under ~/.config/thunar

I still haven't figure how to let regular users mount or unmount internal partitions. On my system only root can do that and only if thunar is launched with dbus-launch. see this post

obmenu got fixed today

Yeah obmenu got a fix, that was cool. Thanks for the other suggestions, I was plagued with every single one, naturally. NTFS trash directory, emblems, thumbnail creation inclusive.

And mad props to whoever gets the partitions mountable when I'm using my own account, within Thunar.

#22 2011-05-14 09:14:10

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

After upgrading to testing:
1. Thunar takes a real long time to launch
2. gedit (when run from terminal) gives some errors (which are ignored, but still...)

Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded in __subclasscheck__' in <type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'> ignored
Error in sys.excepthook:
RuntimeError

Edit: the gedit error is fixed.

Last edited by Tunafish (2011-05-16 05:45:51)

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#23 2011-05-15 22:50:04

ZAP
#! Junkie

Tunafish wrote:

After upgrading to testing:
1. Thunar takes a real long time to launch
2. gedit (when run from terminal) gives some errors (which are ignored, but still...)

Does Thunar only take a long time to launch the first time that you launch it in a session? That's what I've noticed on my testing system, and I think that's because it's doing some network discovery. After the first launch it's as fast as ever.

I don't see any gedit errors when I launch it from the terminal, so I can't comment on that.

I'm still having shutdown/restart issues, however. I figured out that if I wait a really long time it does in fact finish shutting down, but it takes quite a while (several minutes). I thought perhaps it was due to my mounted drives in fstab not responding (on some distros the network connection is shut down before umount is called, which results in an agonizingly slow shutdown), but unmounting those shares before shutting down doesn't fix it. I also removed the problematic kexec package. Anyone else seeing this or have any ideas?

#24 2011-05-16 05:37:13

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

ZAP wrote:

Does Thunar only take a long time to launch the first time that you launch it in a session? That's what I've noticed on my testing system, and I think that's because it's doing some network discovery. After the first launch it's as fast as ever.

First time only. So it might be the network discovery. Thanks.

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2011-05-16 05:54:43

ZAP
#! Junkie

Tunafish wrote:
ZAP wrote:

First time only. So it might be the network discovery. Thanks.

I've actually started launching Thunar right after my web browser and chat program when I boot up, even though I usually don't need it right then. That way when I do need it later, I don't have to wait for it. Super+w+p+f and off to get my coffee (p is what I assigned to launch Pidgin).

Board footer