SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-10 16:05:02

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

Crunchbang/Fluxbox

I thought I would start this thread because I really like Fluxbox with Crunchbang and I would like to have a place to share information with other Fluxbox fans . 

The default Fluxbox Debian install from the repository is not really my taste so I modified it.  I really like the way the original Fluxbox toolbar looks so the first change I made was to restore it to the original state.  Then I proceeded to customize the menus which is pretty easy. 

If you are just getting started with Fluxbox you can just drop my .fluxbox file into your ~/ directory and that may help (just let me know and I'll put in in my Dropbox).  Of course if you don't have the same programs installed that I do, you will have a lot of useless entries on your menus but they can easily be removed.  Alternatively, if you want to be cool like me just go and install the same programs!  smile  I hope that if anyone else has any tips or info they will post them here. 

[edit]  I am constantly learning new things and I just learned that you can have "tabbed" application windows in Fluxbox.  I got this from Red Devil's website (http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com … -flux.html)

"Tabs
Think of the way Firefox and Opera allow you to have several websites open I tabs at the same time; well, Fluxbox does the same thing, only with applications.  It's a really efficient way of working.  You hold down your mouse's scroll wheel over the title bar in your application's window border and drag it onto an adjacent program's title bar and, voila, the two are merged into one window."                                                               
tN2RzNw
I just did this with Gimp and the Toolbox, LibreOffice, and Xcalc.  You can see the tabs at the top of the screenshot.  Very cool. 

When it comes to themes there are many to choose from but I prefer the Tin_black theme from here: 

http://box-look.org/content/show.php?co … c4f327c3cf

It looks great with and without transparency.  Themes are easy to install you just download, unzip, and past the unzipped folder in your '~/.fluxbox/styles' folder.

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2011-02-11 21:03:55)

Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise.
- Lankavatara Sutra

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-02-10 16:16:37

friTTe
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: Crunchbang/Fluxbox

Never tried Fluxbox but i like the look of it, pretty close to Openbox right?
will check this thread for some more info and screens smile

#3 2011-02-10 16:18:35

snowpine
#!-a-roo

That's a nice theme, very Crunchbangy!
I was a Fluxbox user (via the now-extinct Fluxbuntu) before I discovered #!. I remember it fondly. smile

/hugged

#4 2011-02-10 16:28:57

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

snowpine wrote:

I was a Fluxbox user (via the now-extinct Fluxbuntu) before I discovered #!. I remember it fondly. smile

What about the now existing Linux Mint Fluxbox?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#5 2011-02-10 16:47:55

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Unia wrote:
snowpine wrote:

It's quite nice; I took it for an extended test drive a few months ago. I prefer #! Statler though. smile

/hugged

#6 2011-02-10 17:27:17

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

@Fritte - It is very similar to Openbox.  I think it is a little easier to understand but that may just be because I have worked more with it.

Unia wrote:
snowpine wrote:

It is indeed very nice.  I have it installed on my other computer which is currently several hundred miles away (I'm hoping it will join me soon but with airline regulations they way they are I had to leave it behind).  I originally tried to use Crunchbang on it but the wireless was quirky and I needed to get it running so I just started throwing distros at it (not literally, well maybe a couple of those useless "buntu" respins) and one of the ones I had with me was the Mint Fluxbox release.  It comes with Tint2 as the default.

If you want to use the Tint2 panel (or any other panel although I haven't had good luck with Adeskbar) with Crunchbang/Fluxbox you can do that easily with these instructions (the pertinent part is quoted below the link):

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=40637

"[In the ~/.fluxbox/init file]... I had to remove systemtray from the list of items in the line session.screen0.toolbar.tools, then set session.screen0.toolbar.visible to false. Now my tint2 systray is working."

After doing that, I think you would just add this to you '.fluxbox/startup' file:

##Start Tint2 Panel  
tint2 &

or 

## Start Xfce4 Panel
xfce4-panel &

or

## Start Lxpanel
lxpanel &

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2011-02-10 17:41:52)

- Lankavatara Sutra

#7 2011-02-10 17:59:07

nore
>2^9

ElderV.LaCoste wrote:

I prefer the Tin_black theme from here:

snowpine wrote:

That's just the reason why I chose Tin Black for Fluxbox on Ubuntu in October:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/89172/#p89172

#8 2011-02-10 22:35:39

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

nore wrote:
ElderV.LaCoste wrote:

I prefer the Tin_black theme from here:

snowpine wrote:

That's just the reason why I chose Tin Black for Fluxbox on Ubuntu in October:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/89172/#p89172

Lol, looks like you beat me to it.  Are you still using Fluxbox?

- Lankavatara Sutra

#9 2011-02-10 22:47:56

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

I just discovered this great little "dock/launcher" called Wmdrawer.  It is in the repositories so it is very easy to install.  It won't run at first because you need to copy and paste the sample configuration from this link (see link below screenshot) into a blank file.  Name it ".wmdrawerrc", save it, and then you are set.  You should add it to your "slit list" list in './.fluxbox/slitlist'.  Adding it is simple just type 'wmdrawer' and save it.  Here is what it looks like with some new icons and transparency enabled.  It drops down from the Fluxbox logo icon when clicked (I would like to move it up a little higher on the screen but I haven't quite figured that out yet):

tN2RrcA

More information here:

http://people.easter-eggs.org/~valos/wm … ction=docs

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2011-02-10 23:05:23)

- Lankavatara Sutra

#10 2011-02-12 03:20:28

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

Well you could move your slit to the upper corner.
I like your wallpaper and conky.
It's good to have other Fluxbox fans here.

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#11 2011-02-12 03:21:32

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

sorry duplicate

Last edited by jeffreyC (2011-02-12 21:04:51)

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#12 2011-02-12 07:53:44

nore
>2^9

ElderV.LaCoste wrote:

Are you still using Fluxbox?

Not at the moment, I use Statler with Openbox now. I don't see much difference between Fluxbox and Openbox; can't say I prefer one over the other. I still have my old conf's backed up, so it should be easy to try Fluxbox on Statler too.

#13 2011-02-12 07:59:24

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

Elder, can you place windec/titlebars on the leftside of the window with fluxbox?  This is a feature that I always look for in a WM.

That hawk just kept flying! -Ben Lilly

#14 2011-02-12 13:17:47

nore
>2^9

Yes, you can.
Edit ~/.fluxbox/init and add something like

session.titlebar.right:  Shade Stick
session.titlebar.left: Close Minimize Maximize

Check Fluxbox wiki.

#15 2011-02-12 16:35:15

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

@nore does that move the buttons or the titlebar? 

tNXFkOA

like this fvwm setup ^

Last edited by rstrcogburn (2011-02-12 16:37:24)

#16 2011-02-12 17:40:32

mahatman2
#! Die Hard

@rooster, which WM is that? I've been trying to find a WM that'll put the windecorations in other places besides the top for a while now...I thought they didn't exist.

Punch all your friends.

#17 2011-02-13 08:24:38

nore
>2^9

rstrcogburn wrote:

@nore does that move the buttons or the titlebar?

It arranges buttons in the titlebar. Title comes in the middle. In this shot minimize, maximize and close are on the left and stick on the right:
tN2Vueg
Arrange them as you wish changing button name order after session.titlebar.*.

(By the way, thanks for making me curious enough to install Fluxbox once again.)

#18 2011-02-14 15:16:29

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

mahatman2 wrote:

@rooster, which WM is that? I've been trying to find a WM that'll put the windecorations in other places besides the top for a while now...I thought they didn't exist.

It's Fvwm.

- Lankavatara Sutra

#19 2011-02-14 15:23:22

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two instances of Wmdrawer running at the same time in different screen locations?  I don't even really need one Wmdrawer but I was just wondering if it is possible.

Also, I just found out it is possible to use Gtk+ themes on fluxbox.  You can add Lxappearance to the menu for a nice easy GUI experience.

@Rstrcogburn - I have looked a lot of places but I can't find any documentation about moving the whole title bar with decorations to the side.  Like Nore said, you can move the window decorations over to the left side of the title bar but I don't think you can move the whole title bar.  If I come across anything I will post it here.

- Lankavatara Sutra

#20 2011-02-14 15:56:28

mahatman2
#! Die Hard

@Elder: Thanks!

Punch all your friends.

#21 2011-02-14 16:25:55

servingwater
#! Junkie

rstrcogburn wrote:

tNXFkOA

like this fvwm setup ^

Why is this setup NOT in the February 2011 Screenshot Thread? yikes big_smile
It's amazing!

#22 2011-02-14 16:29:09

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

lol that's because it was on the October 2010 thread lol  It's caused quite a wake on Elder's FLUXBOX thread.  I simply posted it to show window decors on teh left side to nore.  thx for the compliments mang

#23 2011-02-14 16:33:30

servingwater
#! Junkie

You are forgiven then. wink
For a minute there I was afraid you're holding back! big_smile

#24 2011-02-14 16:36:04

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

rstrcogburn wrote:

lol that's because it was on the October 2010 thread lol  It's caused quite a wake on Elder's FLUXBOX thread.  I simply posted it to show window decors on teh left side to nore.  thx for the compliments mang

Awww, go ahead and post it again.  If I wasn't so mentally lazy I would have jumped in and tried to learn some Fvwm by now but Fluxbox is easier lol.  I did ask a goofy question in one of the Fvwm threads but it must have been one of those stupifyingly obvious questions because no one answered it.  lol

- Lankavatara Sutra

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2011-02-14 16:37:46

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

did you see my latest on this month's shots?  that movie poster was especially for you man.

Board footer