SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-04 03:10:08

ali
#! Die Hard

statler subforum

why is the  "Devel: CrunchBang 10 "Statler"" subforum still there? no post has been made for over a month and basically when you ask a question in help or whatever your question is most likely a statler question since the other ones aren't supported, i suggest dropping that subforum

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-01-04 03:13:41

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Re: statler subforum

My guess would be that there's still a lot of useful information in there for reference.

#! forum moderator

#3 2011-01-04 03:27:48

safetycopy
urban legend

^ That smile I would be in big trouble if that section was taken out big_smile

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#4 2011-01-04 04:23:36

omns
#! wanderer

It was proposed a while ago to archive (read only) it. This was carried out on Dec 8 smile

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … nly-forum/

#5 2011-01-04 05:09:52

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Corenominal doesn't like deleting stuff so I suppose he just made it read-only for now. I do wonder what he will do about the howto threads that are in there though.

#6 2011-01-04 05:52:49

ali
#! Die Hard

it's not like people cant re-ask those questions and get their questions answered even tho they have been answered before

#7 2011-01-04 05:58:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I'm sure there is a lot of information in the Statler development forum that would be better housed in the Wiki.  Probably won't happen unless mods are roped into tackling specific threads and ridden hard until they're done. roll

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#8 2011-01-04 06:40:34

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

Wait... are mods horses? And if so, can I feed them hay, or perhaps a carrot?

just call me...
~FSM~

#9 2011-01-04 07:19:02

luc
#! Die Hard

#10 2011-01-04 07:46:32

omns
#! wanderer

ali wrote:

it's not like people cant re-ask those questions and get their questions answered even tho they have been answered before

hmm, don't we always encourage members to use the search functions first? If they have further questions about a topic in the read only forum then a new thread can be started in Help and Support.

#11 2011-01-04 08:03:48

ali
#! Die Hard

omns wrote:
ali wrote:

hmm, don't we always encourage members to use the search functions first? If they have further questions about a topic in the read only forum then a new thread can be started in Help and Support.

i don't really encourage that, answering a question multiple times will help me (in the long run) and the user
most of the time when i searched for a problem the proposed solution never really worked for me i would always bump into some error that is not handled by that specific thread so most of the time i end up installing a lot of crap that i won't really use because it was proposed by some guy [...] (i could go on, you get my point)

#12 2011-01-04 09:02:49

Awebb
The Singularity

This has been discussed when it happened. The statler subforum is a rich source of information. Not everyone of us relies on asking questions in a forum to find their information. To be honest, I find asking in a messageboard ineffective and tedious.

ali wrote:

I see this as an unfriendly attack on my religion. Me and my people worship the search engine, The ones asking without a prior search are infidels who need to be converted. Someone, however, deleting information that is searchable and suggesting that it should be asked and written again, is a heretic.

Every piece of information that can be known about every day desktop linux has already been written down in a place a search engine can find it. So asking a question has two possible reasons: One found the limits of his knowledge about search terms and needs a hint, or he is to lazy to do research by himself, which might be a good reason to use something else but not linux.

ali wrote:

so most of the time i end up installing a lot of crap that i won't really use because it was proposed by some guy [...] (i could go on, you get my point)

I get the point. You don't do research before trying a tip. You just do it, because someone said it. It should not be so difficult to see what dependencies a package has before you actually install it.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

Board footer