SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-01 08:03:55

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Plymouth enabled in Statler

The Plymouth graphical boot loader should now be enabled in Statler. A system update will be required to view this change, enter the following terminal command to update:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This is a trial run for Plymouth on Statler and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

---

What is Plymouth?

For anyone unaware, Plymouth provides an attractive (subjective) graphical boot animation in place of the text messages that normally get shown. Text messages are instead redirected to a log file for viewing after boot. For more information, see: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth

Last edited by corenominal (2011-01-01 17:18:26)

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-01-01 08:32:01

omns
#! wanderer
From: ~/
Registered: 2008-11-25
Posts: 5,131

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

Well, this is a little subjective as I haven't tried it hmm but.... yuck tongue

smile

Offline

#3 2011-01-01 08:33:30

nore
#! Die Hard
From: Lakeland
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 503

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

What if one would like to dist-upgrade without getting Plymouth?

I've played enough with Plymouth theming in Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10. I still got it on a netbook. It's OK but I don't miss it at all. I was relieved to see good old Debian style text boot in Statler.

(On the other hand, if that Statler Plymouth theme is made in fast and functional CB style it might be tempting to try it out. Whattodo whattodo whattodo?)

Offline

#4 2011-01-01 08:37:13

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

omns wrote:

yuck tongue

When I first enabled it, I thought pretty much the same, but after a week or so, it has grown on me. smile

I am not sure if anyone else is interested, but if you missed it, there is a little backstory here: http://corenominal.org/2010/12/13/plymouth-on-statler/

Offline

#5 2011-01-01 08:39:32

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

nore wrote:

What if one would like to dist-upgrade without getting Plymouth?

Do the upgrade, then remove "splash" from your GRUB config. wink

(On the other hand, if that Statler Plymouth theme is made in fast and functional CB style it might be tempting to try it out. Whattodo whattodo whattodo?)

I have tried to make it as minimal as possible. smile

Offline

#6 2011-01-01 08:44:02

nore
#! Die Hard
From: Lakeland
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 503

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

corenominal wrote:

http://corenominal.org/2010/12/13/plymouth-on-statler/
"For sure, it is superficially nice to have a graphical boot, but at the same time, it is probably more useful to not have one."

Exactly.

Offline

#7 2011-01-01 08:51:03

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

nore wrote:
corenominal wrote:

http://corenominal.org/2010/12/13/plymouth-on-statler/
"For sure, it is superficially nice to have a graphical boot, but at the same time, it is probably more useful to not have one."

Exactly.

I think I should have put more emphasis on the word, "probably". big_smile

Offline

#8 2011-01-01 09:59:32

safetycopy
urban legend
From: The Chatsubo
Registered: 2010-04-03
Posts: 1,311

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

Well, I really like it! Apparently, it's a cardinal sin not to read all the blurb that goes by while #! boots, but honestly I prefer it with the graphical bootloader and the option of seeing the other stuff if you want/need it. I like a little minimalist bling big_smile


i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

Offline

#9 2011-01-01 10:25:03

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

safetycopy wrote:

I like a little minimalist bling big_smile

"Minimalist bling", it's an oxymoron, but I love the phrase. I may have to steal it and use it in the release notes! big_smile

Offline

#10 2011-01-01 15:41:01

illumin8
#! Junkie
From: Seattle
Registered: 2009-05-30
Posts: 407
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

well, i love it:)

i added these 3 aliases to my ~/.bashrc ...

#plymouth
alias plylist='sudo /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme --list'          #lists available Plymouth themes
alias plychange='sudo /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme'          #use as 'plychange THEME'
alias plyupdate='sudo update-initramfs -u'          #update initramfs to implement changes

the "details" plymouth theme included in the #! themes disables the graphical boot.

Last edited by illumin8 (2011-01-01 15:43:01)


Website    500px     DeviantArt
God never ends anything on a negative; God always ends on a positive. -- Edwin Louis Cole --

Offline

#11 2011-01-01 16:28:56

achristoffersen
#! Junkie
Registered: 2009-03-23
Posts: 354

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

Well - I don't like it :-)

I don't feel strongly about splash - one way or the other. But if there is a splash screen I think I should at least be somewhat informative. E.g. give feedback that the system loading is actually progressing. So I would sugges some kind af progress bar to tell the user that everything is going ok.

Fedora's progress illustration is very nice. Maybe #! could use some thing similar?

As for me - I will try to remove splash from grub :-)

Offline

#12 2011-01-01 16:41:20

illumin8
#! Junkie
From: Seattle
Registered: 2009-05-30
Posts: 407
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

achristoffersen wrote:

Well - I don't like it :-)

I don't feel strongly about splash - one way or the other. But if there is a splash screen I think I should at least be somewhat informative. E.g. give feedback that the system loading is actually progressing. So I would sugges some kind af progress bar to tell the user that everything is going ok.

Fedora's progress illustration is very nice. Maybe #! could use some thing similar?

As for me - I will try to remove splash from grub :-)


the "text" theme gives a simple progress bar.

if you arent going to remove plymouth, then

sudo /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme details && sudo update-initramfs -u

will remove the splash


Website    500px     DeviantArt
God never ends anything on a negative; God always ends on a positive. -- Edwin Louis Cole --

Offline

#13 2011-01-01 16:50:10

Awebb
The Singularity
Registered: 2009-07-23
Posts: 2,812

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

corenominal wrote:

The Plymouth graphical boot loader

I had this little twitch in my eye when I read this. For a moment I thought you replaced grub by something... blingblingy. Then I read more about plymouth to find out there's nothing to worry about...


I'm so meta, even this acronym

Offline

#14 2011-01-01 17:08:11

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

achristoffersen wrote:

...if there is a splash screen I think I should at least be somewhat informative. E.g. give feedback that the system loading is actually progressing. So I would sugges some kind af progress bar to tell the user that everything is going ok.

Interestingly, or not, I did include a progress bar in some of the development builds, but I figured it served no purpose, other than to give a false sense of the system boot progress. hmm

I will gauge the feedback and adjust if necessary.

Offline

#15 2011-01-01 17:09:14

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

illumin8 wrote:

the "text" theme gives a simple progress bar.

if you arent going to remove plymouth, then

sudo /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme details && sudo update-initramfs -u

will remove the splash

Nice tips, thank you for sharing! smile

Offline

#16 2011-01-01 17:16:05

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

Awebb wrote:
corenominal wrote:

The Plymouth graphical boot loader

I had this little twitch in my eye when I read this. For a moment I thought you replaced grub by something... blingblingy. Then I read more about plymouth to find out there's nothing to worry about...

Good point. I will edit the original post to include a description of Plymouth and a link. Thanks. smile

Offline

#17 2011-01-01 17:37:52

anonymous
The Mystery Member
From: Arch Linux Forums
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,418

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

corenominal wrote:
achristoffersen wrote:

...if there is a splash screen I think I should at least be somewhat informative. E.g. give feedback that the system loading is actually progressing. So I would sugges some kind af progress bar to tell the user that everything is going ok.

Interestingly, or not, I did include a progress bar in some of the development builds, but I figured it served no purpose, other than to give a false sense of the system boot progress. hmm

I will gauge the feedback and adjust if necessary.

Personally, I'd rather have a false progress bar than no feedback whatsoever.

Offline

#18 2011-01-01 17:42:09

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,057
Website

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

anonymous wrote:
corenominal wrote:
achristoffersen wrote:

...if there is a splash screen I think I should at least be somewhat informative. E.g. give feedback that the system loading is actually progressing. So I would sugges some kind af progress bar to tell the user that everything is going ok.

Interestingly, or not, I did include a progress bar in some of the development builds, but I figured it served no purpose, other than to give a false sense of the system boot progress. hmm

I will gauge the feedback and adjust if necessary.

Personally, I'd rather have a false progress bar than no feedback whatsoever.

There is feedback in the form of a pulsating #!, I agree that not having a progress bar was a little unsettling at first, but then I learned to trust the pulsating #!

Offline

#19 2011-01-01 17:44:12

achristoffersen
#! Junkie
Registered: 2009-03-23
Posts: 354

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

illumin8 wrote:

the "text" theme gives a simple progress bar.

if you arent going to remove plymouth, then

sudo /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme details && sudo update-initramfs -u

will remove the splash

Fantastic - Thank you!! - I have never played around with grub so I actually had trouble "removing" splash the way Sir Philip suggested. This will do instead.

Incedently - Is there a way to have plymouth enabled, but then disable it by some keybord comand - e.g. ESC? This coudl be handy if something feels fishy? Maybe even after plymouth have started, and if the system hangs - then press ESC to see what ever message the text boot up displays?

A

Offline

#20 2011-01-01 18:54:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 12,490

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

Odd, on my netbook I had to break that into separate lines for the `update-initramfs -u` to take.  At any rate, boot seems to take a few extra seconds with Plymouth...I'll actually time it with a stopwatch a few times, then remove splash from grub config and time that & get back to ya.

EDIT:  Looks like there is no significant difference in boot time (power switch to GDM login screen) with splash enabled vs. splash disabled.  Go Plymouth!  (I wonder whether it was named after the city in England, the colony founded by the pilgrims, the car company, or...?)

Last edited by pvsage (2011-01-01 20:40:05)


I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline

#21 2011-01-01 19:34:49

nore
#! Die Hard
From: Lakeland
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 503

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

anonymous wrote:

Personally, I'd rather have a false progress bar than no feedback whatsoever.

That's why I used to prefer text over splash: scrolling text gives impression of progress and action. It also keeps up (false but necessary) illusion of control over the system. Nobody really reads the notifications.

I'm not against Plymouth, but I don't feel comfortable with long silent boots. With the low spec machines I usually use I actually have to take time to watch the boot.

How about a Plymouth theme dedicated to us grumpy old school conservatives? Animation with furiously scrolling text, occasionally slowing down with fsck error ("press Ctrl+D..."). Or a BSOD theme?

Last edited by nore (2011-01-01 19:36:03)

Offline

#22 2011-01-01 19:41:27

charlie01
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2009-02-09
Posts: 556

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

I have it on my Nettop It looks nice,I like the progress bar look,The log in window is also nice,Its bright compared to the oldschool black,,which i loved.I think ill keep it.

Keep up the great work,Statler is turning out amazing.

Hell,I thought it was stable and outstanding back in the alpha 1 days.

Now to give it a go on my netbook.
I noticed the apt-get command for some reason wouldnt work,Maybe a typo a bunch of times,,LOL
aptitude did work.

Offline

#23 2011-01-01 20:38:23

Awebb
The Singularity
Registered: 2009-07-23
Posts: 2,812

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

nore wrote:

That's why I used to prefer text over splash: scrolling text gives impression of progress and action. It also keeps up (false but necessary) illusion of control over the system. Nobody really reads the notifications.

I don't read ALL the notifications, but I do indeed notice when one of the daemons fails to load, thanks to colored output. I don't read everything, but when I see red or purple, I know there is something worth my attention. With this information, I can fix the problem right now without going through a dozen logfiles.


I'm so meta, even this acronym

Offline

#24 2011-01-01 20:59:53

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie
Registered: 2010-03-26
Posts: 357

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

There is feedback in the form of a pulsating #!, I agree that not having a progress bar was a little unsettling at first, but then I learned to trust the pulsating #!

Just ran the update butI don't seem to have a pulsating #!, just a progress bar on the bottom and "Crunchbang Linux" on the right. Has this been changed already?

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2011-01-01 21:27:12

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-07-17
Posts: 3,956

Re: Plymouth enabled in Statler

Is there some application in which you can preview the themes?


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo