SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-14 08:45:03

equi
Website

#! vs. antiX?

Couldn't really find anything in the forums comparing the two, but basically it seems as though they're... kinda identical, just one uses Xfce + Openbox and the other uses IceWM + Fluxbox, or something like that.  I know sweet dickall when it comes to the exact boundary between a WM and a DE =b

They're both Deb based, both minimalist, both rather sexy.  Survey says?

Edit: IceWM and Fluxbox are both window managers... why use both, not just one over the other?  Oh sigh, this confuses me even more.

Edit2: If someone could please explain the distinction between a WM and a DE that'd be sweet, too.  For example, I noticed that the Xfce + Openbox version isn't radically different in appearance from the Openbox only version of #!, and I'm curious what's "under the hood" that makes them different big_smile

Last edited by equi (2010-12-14 09:03:17)

http://borkd.net - horrible design since 1999

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-12-14 09:24:12

Andreas
#! Junkie

Re: #! vs. antiX?

so a WM manages your windows. It's basically the border around your windows with the titlebar, draggable things and most of the time it comes with short cuts to switch between windows (like Alt + Tab).
a DE is a whole desktop environment that comes with evertyhing you need to run a pc, including a WM. most of the time it has all kinds of thing like a notification bubble program, systray, taskbar, programsmenu, WM of course, sometimes widgets you can put on your desktop like KDE. Often it also has some preinstalled native apps like a file manager, network applet, clock, configuration settings manager dialog thingy, etc etc.

now fluxbox is a wm, but does come with a programs menu and panel and clock and systray, which can be confusing. fluxbox is also a bit of a strange guy here, but metacity (mostly used under gnome environments) is a perfect example of a window manager: it manages your windows with Alt Tab and virtual desktops, but also has the builtin capability of showing a background wink

I hope that clears it up

Meh. Interested for a Dropbox alternative? Go to https://launchpad.net/tart

#3 2010-12-14 09:41:58

pvsage
Internal Affairs

...so the Openbox-"only" version of CrunchBang isn't really Openbox-only - it includes various a la carte elements of the XFCE DE (power manager, screensaver), tint2 for the panel, notify-osd for the popups, yada...

...it also uses lxappearance for changing GTK settings, but that's about the only thing from LXDE that I can see, aside from lxsession...which I still don't see any difference when that isn't loaded at startup...

Does this muddy the waters at all? hmm

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#4 2010-12-14 09:45:04

ali
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

...so the Openbox-"only" version of CrunchBang isn't really Openbox-only - it includes various a la carte elements of the XFCE DE (power manager, screensaver), tint2 for the panel, notify-osd for the popups, yada...

...it also uses lxappearance for changing GTK settings, but that's about the only thing from LXDE that I can see, aside from lxsession...which I still don't see any difference when that isn't loaded at startup...

Does this muddy the waters at all? hmm

openbox doesn't really have a native panel and stuff, you can't really say it's not openbox only because of the tint2

#5 2010-12-14 09:48:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Yeah, that's what I meant with the "scare quotes".

#6 2010-12-14 13:30:22

charlie01
#! Die Hard

I have used both,And Have Antix set up in my Virtualbox.
There both lite and fast.
I believe all linux is personal preference.
The thing thats great with Antix is you can choose from multiple styles ,From Flux to Icwm and a few weird combos
in the mix.If you like tweaking your desktop,Antix is fun for that.

I do think there quite a bit different in how things work.
and how its set up stock.The installer is quite a bit easier than the standard text based Debian installer that come with
Crunchbang.If im not mistaken its the Mepis installer.

I look at linux like i do an Ice Cream place,What flavor do i want today.

LOL

#7 2010-12-14 14:09:03

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Corenomial has basically invented his own "Crunch DE" out of Openbox, conky, tint2, etc.
It is not just "plain" Openbox WM but stands up to other lightweight DE's like Xfce and LXDE.

AntiX is also very nice.

/hugged

#8 2010-12-14 15:43:45

axel668
#! Member

+1 for crunchbang, I've tried a lot of other distros in between but I always end up with a "#!DE" like environment, on what ever desktop (up to the point of running stuff like tint2 and gmrun in KDE ...)

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila (Mitch Ratcliffe)

#9 2010-12-14 17:38:17

pvsage
Internal Affairs

snowpine wrote:

Corenomial has basically invented his own "Crunch DE" out of Openbox, conky, tint2, etc.
It is not just "plain" Openbox WM but stands up to other lightweight DE's like Xfce and LXDE.

And it totally...ROCKS.

Only thing I don't like about the XFCE version - and it is enough to keep me from using it - is the lack of a Super-<space> shortcut.  It would be really nice to be able to carry that feature over from the Openbox version, but apparently there is no way.  I've done the Super- trick (just press & release the Super key) in XFCE before, but it's just not the same.

#10 2010-12-14 20:38:20

equi
Website

Okay, so basically it's  bunch of things that I haven't a clue of what they are, nor am I likely to care at this point until I start futzing about a bit more =b Gotcha.

http://borkd.net - horrible design since 1999

#11 2010-12-18 21:40:49

charlie01
#! Die Hard

equi wrote:

Okay, so basically it's  bunch of things that I haven't a clue of what they are, nor am I likely to care at this point until I start futzing about a bit more =b Gotcha.

Futzing is the only real way to know for sure if you like it or not.
Plus it should be lots of fun.
Like i posted earlier,Theres alot of desktop choices to play with,If you dont like one setup,You can always log out and play in another session,,Like Fluxbox.
Antix is a fun distro.

Board footer