SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-08 22:10:28

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger

[Solved]Statler openbox refuses to install

I have successfully run statler xfce and openbox live cds on my nettop (Acer n260g) with everything working OTB. When I try to install the latter though  the text installer freezes and doesn't allow the installation to go ahead. I have had this problem before with Debian images if I remember well.
Any ideas? Should I burn another image?

Last edited by luvva_cuppa (2010-04-11 12:18:28)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-04-08 22:12:33

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

Re: [Solved]Statler openbox refuses to install

might need more info. Where exactly does it freeze?

#3 2010-04-08 22:24:44

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger

It freezes at the "Which language do you want to select?" page i.e. the initial screen of the installer.
In the meantime I tried statler xfce and that also freezes. I have tried all the install options too;text,expert etc.
I am using an apple keyboard. I wonder if that could be the problem. I don't have another one to try out though. I have had this problem with Debian images before but never with other distros.
I have successfully installed statler xfce on my aspire 1300 laptop using the same cd, so the cd image should be ok.

#4 2010-04-09 02:34:55

corenominal
WRONG
Website

#5 2010-04-09 02:48:53

dippedandfried
#! Member

^ What follows is a bit of a rant (for which I apologize in advance), but I've been going pretty much nuts for the past several days trying to install statler xfce and openbox on my new asus 1005PEB and ending up with no cigar every time. I've noticed that many in the forums have had no problems whatsoever and that does nothing but pile on the pain. Plus both distros run flawlessly on livecd. Arrrgh.

To me, the installer is a nightmare rising up to bite my arse from the long-ago-and-far-away ascii legacy past. And is apparently as dumb as dirt with a penchant for looping arguments and rock-hard deadends. It doesn't recognize the media on which it lives (usb thumb, card, or usb cd/dvd burner), even though iggykoopa's "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" worked like a champ with the thumbie and card and got me to a point where I thought all was going to be well Real Soon Now. Nope.

My gotcha has been the installer's insistence on wanting to install grub and then bombing out without allowing me to gracefully finish the install without installing grub. I don't need freaking grub...I already got it (am dual-booting W7 and Mint8...which will both get blown off my disk as soon as I can get #! up again), and I can do a simple CLI "update-grub2" after install.

</rant> I'm done trying for now and am patient enought to wait and see what's up with the next round. What bothers me is that this would have been a show-stopper three install attempts ago if I hadn't been happily riding the #! pony for over a year. Am guessing that many first-encounter folks may have already passed up a *very* good thing after one gloves-off round with that installer. I hope not.

Best to all, and may all of you who got #! up and running in short order break a leg (heh)!

-D&F

eeepc 1005PEB dual-boot Win7/Crunchified Mint 10.04 LTS
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

#6 2010-04-09 03:37:35

d2ogch3n
#! CrunchBanger

.signature

#7 2010-04-09 04:20:41

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-04-12 01:21:50)

#8 2010-04-11 12:22:09

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger

Yes, I can confirm that  the apple keyboard is not recognised by the Debian installer which explains why I have previously often had problems working with Debian.

Statler is looking sweet on my Acer n260g nettop. Feedback to come when installation  is fully tweaked and up and running.

#9 2010-04-11 14:32:47

z3r0_k00l75
#! Member

Has anyone tried downloading remastersys to the livecd and installing with the remastersys installer? It may be an alternative for some who can't get the debian installer to work.

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
AMD PhenomII x4 955be, GA-970A-UD3, 16GB DDR3, Radeon hd5570, Archbang x64

#10 2010-04-11 14:49:03

Kuno
#! Die Hard

#11 2010-04-12 15:13:15

dippedandfried
#! Member

@Kuno: A *massive* bag of thanks for pointing me at Tree Bito's solution (my problem is *exactly* the same as his), even though I haven't had time to read up on single-user stuff and passwords in general. And at my stage of noobness, tra-la-la skipping into root and password stuff is worse than singing in the dark at the bottom of a deep bear cave during mating season. I can wait.

BTW, I hope the leg is healing quickly and well. I still think that waiting for a clean Statler install is worse. tongue

@Corenominal: A huge apology for my debian installer rant, and I hope you can see how far my tongue was stuck into my cheek. I've been hanging around these forums for almost two years now and consider it a huge privilege to bump shoulders with you and the other extreme propellerheads who have made #! into something very special and exciting. It's such great fun watching new ideas come to fruition, and then to snip, cut and copy stuff from the best and brightest into my setup. (My wife doesn't understand it, but hey, she's got her Mac and her knitting!)

Three cheers to Philip, Becky and Crunchbangers everywhere! big_smile:D:D

-D&F

eeepc 1005PEB dual-boot Win7/Crunchified Mint 10.04 LTS
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

#12 2010-04-12 15:39:11

Kuno
#! Die Hard

@D&F:  Leg still ok - hope it survives sports tonight... cool

#13 2010-06-07 08:50:12

Matt3223

ah... was looking for a thread about this. The Debian installer does not function on my Macbook 4,1 as well.

I guess I will plug in a usb keyboard and see if I can get through install per vrkalak's advice. Will update if successful.

Board footer