SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-17 18:28:35

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

Wireless needed on old Compaq Presario 1200

guys,

i helped a colleagues who has a very old compaq presario 1200 series, he had it in the storage room for the last years, and now it seems that he heard me speaking so well of linux (and crunchbang) at work and he wanted to test me.

i obviously tried crunchbang but i guess the low ram (192MB...) was not enough...

i didn't give up and tried both slitaz and puppy, tested both and in the end i installed puppy

i am impressed, it automatically created a swap file which and did another couple of complicated geeky things that really transformed the old lappy into something usable...

also my colleague was impressed, so far so good, he was asking me if he could hook it up to his home wireless lan...

i am no computer expert, so forgive me if i am asking something that should be obvious to all, but,
the laptop has only a dial up modem so i was thinking of using a USB network adapter, but I am not sure if this will be enough.

basically could someone tell me if it will be enough (from the hardware point of view) to buy a D-LINK - Wireless N 802.11n Wireless USB Dongle DWA-140 or a DWL-G122 ?

Is there any brand I should avoid, r is there any manufacturer that you would suggest (guess I should ask this in the puppy forum...)

thanks

M

Board footer